Jersey gathering.. interest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Snowshoe (Shawn) and I are tossing ideas about having a NJ gathering sometime either next spring or this fall, was wondering who out there is in the area and would be interested.

FYI, the place would be Snowshoe's house in the NW corner of NJ, right by High Point (It's a state highpoint folks!!! and the tower is now open so that's a plus, the tower has been closed in like 1997 due to it needing work and lacking money).

Anyway, Snowshoe is close to the Delaware, the walkill for paddlers, lots of hiking in various parks, the AT is nearby and trails in High Point SP itself.

Just wondering who would be interested in a gathering for the area folks?

If you are interested, post your name and I will somewhat get a list going... If you have a preference, I'm thinking next spring would be better... It's short notice for both of us for this fall...

Jay

watch out for those deer ticks!!!!
oh my!! they were all over me this past spring!!
YUK!! :eek:
p.s. i think i feel a little fever comin' on!! :eek:

Of course I am interested! I think we have talked about a Jersey gathering before. Next spring would probably be better for me too. I'd be willing to help out any way possible.

I'll probably be up for it either way. It'd be a good excuse to check out that area. It would be interesting for me to see the other end of the Wallkill and the Kittatinnies, which are the geological cousins of the Shawangunks. Probably not much longer of a drive than the western Catskills for me.

Matt

NJ gathering!

daxs said:
Of course I am interested! I think we have talked about a Jersey gathering before. Next spring would probably be better for me too. I'd be willing to help out any way possible.

Count me in almost anytime!

Fred

Jay and Shawn, I'd be interested for the spring.

Of course its avalibility dependent but I think I could swing it by talking Mrs Tuco into visiting her family in NJ that weekend.

Sounds like Spring will work best. For overnight camping there is High Point campsites. There is also a short hike to the Mashipacong shelter on the AT. Then there is the 9 acres on my property. Either wooded or field. There are a lot of thigs to do from hiking (Rolling terrain to some decent climbs of 1200ft in less than 2 miles) to white and calm water paddling. (The Delaware, Wallkill, Mongaup and a few smaller lakes.) For those into rock climbing we have that as well. There are some good place to eat out or just relax.

Those up North should come down to NJ. You might be suprised what we have this way. Would never think you are in NJ. Thats what al the thru hikers say.

AMF: Nothings wrong with a winter gathering, but I think we're all out enjoying the best season for hiking. :)

Actually, travel is sometimes difficult in the NJ area as what we tend to get a lot of winters is not pure snow which is not terrible to drive in as long as you're careful. We sometimes get a lot of sleet, slush, mixture which is sometimes downright treacherous to drive in so it's hard to predict the weather and therefore hard to plan for.

Although, we could do an informal one this winter and have the official one in the spring... I'm always up for winter snowshoeing here, when the snow arrives....

jay

Jay,

Great idea! I agree that people are sometimes surprised at the beauty in NJ. The "WHAT EXIT?" jokes, and the views from the NJ Turnpike tend to obscure some of our natural beauty. (Not to mention the 7 Natural wonders!).

Count me IN.

Sound good to me!!

Shawn, you are only 30 minutes from me. And yet I probably won't see you until a Gathering at your house! :D

Oh well, let me know if you need a second (or third) grill. I'll bring some steaks and burgers, too. :cool:

Jay...sounds interesting ...early/late spring?...what about your hike to raise $ for the tumor society?....when is that usually...also i think i remember you mentioned it would be in New Hampshire?

David, date has not been even contemplated...

Next year's TBTS hike is going to be a Presi traverse in NH, I just need to look at my company's calendar so I can schedule it near the solstice (June) and also on one of my off fridays...

Til then, I haven't made anything official! This certainly wont coincide with that. :)

Jay

Jay & Shawn, I'm there and I am really looking forward to it. Keep me posted on how I can pitch in to help out ($$$ or Time). I am about an hour away if I drive like a Pennsylvanian, 45 minutes away if I drive like a New Jersian and only 10 minutes away of I drive like a Bostonian!!!!!! :D :D

Jay...ok...since i work on sundays I trying to pick the "fun" trips to take off...forgot your hike is in June...thx..will wait for further notices..

Sounds intriguing. Perhaps there's someone out there interested in a moderate to long hike on the AT with a car spot. Say Culvers Gap to Mountain Road (going, of course, over High Point).