Jetboils in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougPaul said:
This is true for a full cannister. However, the propane tends to boil off first, the isobutane next, and the butane last. As the cannister is used the mixture gets worse and worse (for low temps).

There is one cannister stove with a flexible hose that is designed so the that cannister can be used right-side up or inverted. When the cannister is inverted, it feeds liquid fuel to the burner rather than gaseous fuel. This will preserve the mix if one does it from the start. (Presumably, one has to start the stove with the cannister right-side up and wait until the burner gets hot before inverting the cannister to prevent flare-ups.)

Doug

Thank you for the clarification for fuel type, and I don't think it's a "nit" I appreciate being corrected for this type of info. ;)
Pure propane = heavy steel tanks (not backpack types)
Butane or Butane/iso = disposable light tanks (as most backpack stoves)
Got it, thanks.

So, who makes this other stove with the "umbilical" hose you mentioned above?

And when is someone going to invent a refillable pure propane small backpacker stove?

Now I am swinging the other direction to getting NO new butane stove and toting the quite reliable MSR Whisperlight white gas unit.
decisions...decisions......

Hey, just glad the cold weather finally got here! :)

Jeff-B said:
So, who makes this other stove with the "umbilical" hose you mentioned above?
I was recalling some discussion of the technique that I had read. Don't recall which stove. In theory, one could try it with any cannister stove with a flexible hose. I think there is also a stove that burns either liquid or gaseous fuel--if it has a flexible hose, then it might be capable of the trick.

And when is someone going to invent a refillable pure propane small backpacker stove?
Propane has a high vapor pressure at room temp--rather dangerous for amateurs to handle. 25lb propane tanks used for outdoor grills are refillable...

Now I am swinging the other direction to getting NO new butane stove and toting the quite reliable MSR Whisperlight white gas unit.
decisions...decisions......

I mostly just use my MSR model G (predecessor to the XGK line) and have started toying with alcohol stoves.[/QUOTE]

The Grasshopper

DougPaul said:
There used to be a propane stove that used the torch tank--the Grasshopper. Haven't seen it advertised in many (20+?) years. .

Doug

Ah, now you're bringing back memories...the Grasshopper was my first stove about 30 years ago. Carried it in my bright orange pack... I think I bought them both at Morsan's...
:) :) :)