June 10 - Donaldson & Emmons (Seward Range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be quick for right now, i'll post a trip report later.

I arrived at the Axton Landing road to the Sewards at around 9:30pm, i did some fishing on the way. anyhow, as i was driving up the road not a 1/4 mile past the bridge a very large tree had fallen....no way around it. i'm not sure if anyone had been by before this or not.... i did notice that there were two distinct cars tracks that turned around....

i deceided to head towards tupper Lake to see if i could find some rope and pull the tree out of the way.... no luck, also all the stores didn't open until 9:00am or so.... so rather than wait and not get any mtns. i headed to South Meadows to go after Table Top and Haystack.....more later.

I hope that you guys were able to get to the sewards and have a celebration, maybe next time we'll meet.

happy hiking

when did you guys get up there???

did you guys clear it out in the morning????

did you make all the summits???

i wasn;t sure what everyone eas going to do and I needed to be back early Thrusday night, so i deceided to go for table top and haystack.... i didn't get to south meadows road (where i camped) until 11:30pm, and it was an early rise....

I didn't get to make it due to tearing my knee up coming off of couchy in that storm on the 9th. ALG--congratulations on your becoming a 46er. I'm down for awhile now. I brought a snickers for Alistair too. I wish I could have made it...

Hillman

Doug.
Sorry you hurt your knee and missed the Sewards. We managed Don, and Emm on Thursday and I bagged Sey on Friday.

It must have been some storm Wednesday night, although I drove up from the lower Hudson Valley and never saw a rain drop.

WE did it.
Doug, I was thinking about you the whole time. At least you got Couchie. When you're healed and ready to hike again, let me know. I want to help you get those last 3 peaks. How was it being up there in that storm? While we were setting up camp Wednesday about 5:30, we were told that there was a tornado "watch". You must have a good story to tell about Couchy now: "I survived a tornado on Couch!". OK, so there wasn't actually a twister, but there surely is more blowdown to contend with now.

ADackR: Thanks for trying. The tornado watch Wednesday, and the 2 fallen trees that we helped clear made the approach on Corey's Road a little more interesting than usual! Tabletop & Haystack... that's some combination. I love Haystack. Maybe I'll do it again with Hillman.

Much thanks to Lee, Dave, and Alistair for the good company on this special hike. And a great big frothy THANK YOU! to harryk for toting up a cooler of Heineken for the celebration! I just got back home from 4 incredibly beautiful days of camping, hiking and canoeing. My full trip report will come in a day or so. Thanks to everybody at VFTT for thinking of me on this big occasion. I realize that finishing my 46 isn't the end of anything, but a beginning to new adventures in the mountains. No more lists! Well, there's that Winter 46 now...

Last edited:
I was thinking about you all day on the 10th. I wish I was there--Anyway, that storm was scary as hell. I was coming down, and stopped to pump water, and it went from sunny to almost night time in a matter of seconds. Then I got hit with a few really big rain drops. Then lightning erupted all around me. It was nuts. I started down that mtn and away from the open streambed as quick as possible. I did my leg in just before I got the area of the cliffs along the trail. I hung out under an overhang for awhile thinking I might get killed by that storm. After about an hour of sitting there waiting out the storm, I limped out to my car. I got to see one of those red salamanders though, and a turtle laying eggs on the way out, so it wasn't a total loss. I walked in the woods today with my dog, my knee is still a little messed up. I think I"ve got a small tear in my knee. Anyway, congrats on your 46. I'll work on the winter ones with you next snow season.

Last edited:
Bob - Congratulations, we were eagerly awaiting the report of your success.

Climbed Santanoni with Fred Saturday - This puts Garen, Fred, and I at 45 with Allen left to go. Looked across at Donalson and Emmons and thought about how good it must have felt for you. Hopefully we'll know that feeling soon.

KZ

Sounds like an interesting couple of days! Congrats on the 46th!

harryk has no option than to tote coolers of beer... otherwise he may loose his Golden status!! (he does seem to always come through, huh?) Fast healing to Hillman1, but a great story and experience to remember from Couchy. Very interesting that the salamander and turtle can almost make up for the threats to body and life! So true.

Man, HarryK if I knew you were around when I was a teenager. I would have started hiking sooner to get beer. I might be finishing the same weekend as Dead Fred, so you better get ready.:)

Harry,

My favorite flavor is those Molsen XXX you friends up north make so well! July 17th on Allen? Dakota the hiker-dog is hauling the watermelon!

Spongebob, where are you finishing? Hope it'll be easy for Harry to bushwack from Allen to ______?:D

Bob,
Congrats! I've got a long ways to go, but should start making a dent this summer. Feels weird being a newbie again!

SpongeBob: let me know your July ADK plans. Might see you up there.

KZ, Garen, Fredm hikethe115: good luck on #46!

Hillman1: I feel your pain. It's a very recent memory. Heal well!

SherpaKroto,

Thanks for the well wishes.

You are reading my mind...NE115, HERE I COME! I look forward to getting you advice about climbing in your neck of the woods. But those trips will be fewer due to distance from home.

BTW, drop a line anytime you are coming to the ADK's and I'll see if I can join you, especially in the winter, as now I've got big ideas to complete the W46.:D

Congratulations!

Congratulations!!!

I'll be heading up to the Sewards on Friday morning, hopefully knocking off #'s 4-7 for myself over the weekend.

addicted to the mountains

Now that I've done #46, and my summer calendar is filling up with obligations and jobs (I photograph weddings), I look at the 3 or so open weekends I have and think, "what do I do now?". I don't have any lists to work on. I'm NOT doing the 100, the 115, or the Whites -they're too far, as I live near Buffalo/Niagara Falls. I find it very distressing.

I had thought that I would go back to my original love of wilderness canoeing, but it seems that I'm now ADDICTED TO THE MOUNTAINS! I'd hike with others who are working on their 46, but then I'd have to coordinate my hikes with someone else's schedule. I could hike solo, but I have grown to enjoy the company of other VFTTers. HELP!

Must... climb... mountain...

Thanks Harry. I might take you up on that. I already mentioned to the Mrs. that I might want to camp up in Wilmington on Labor Day weekend, and hike up Whiteface - if Tim is still on schedule for his #46...

And I'm officially NOT working July 17, and might be canoeing on Henderson Lake. Hmmmm, isn't that near the trailhead for Allen?

I'll be attempting MacNaughton later this year - Maybe in October. I'd hate to get lost all alone up there. I'll be sure to post THAT hike.