Kahootla microspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke a Microspike today. The question now is to buy another pair, and thus have a spare, or to upgrade to the Hillsounds.

Tim

I was a crampon guy, (petzel 12 pointers) then went to micro-spikes 2 years ago. My next purchase for next winter will be a hiking crampon and I will dump the micro-spikes and my 12 pointers. While micro-spikes have thier niche, I miss the security of a more aggressive point, yet real crampons are just to much for hiking. Not sure what hiking crampon Im going with. I like a model from petzel and will proboly stay with them as petzels quality has never failed me in the field.

This thread has gotten me to remembering the ways in which traction has changed for me over the years:

1. tiny cleats on rubbers that wore down after the first climb with them on Monadnock, so...
2. four-point insteps that killed my arches on the way from Pico to Killington.
3. Stabilicers that seemed like magic carpets, until..
4. Microspikes that have worked superbly for me but are now dull after three years. They've never come off, don't slide around, and will suit purposes that my next upgrade won't.
5. Hillsound Pros, which are wonderful except that my first pair failed too soon. Despite that, I'm not letting one bad pair (or was it my fault for tightening them up too much?) change my thinking that they are worthy of having, and happily received a replacement pair.

In between # 3 and #4 above, Grivel 10 pt. crampons which have their own special place.

Oh heavens...I so remember "in step crampons". We thought we were so cool wearing those and at the time I suppose we were. :cool::D
I like my microspikes but I LOVE my Hillsound Pros. Hope the ice hasn't melted on my special route. Haven't seen it in 4 days but it's always much colder up there.

I was a crampon guy, (petzel 12 pointers) then went to micro-spikes 2 years ago. My next purchase for next winter will be a hiking crampon and I will dump the micro-spikes and my 12 pointers. While micro-spikes have thier niche, I miss the security of a more aggressive point, yet real crampons are just to much for hiking. Not sure what hiking crampon Im going with. I like a model from petzel and will proboly stay with them as petzels quality has never failed me in the field.

I ordered the Hillsound Trail Crampon to replace the Microspikes. I know they aren't ideal, durability-wise either, but for this winter, they baby spike family has been ideal.

Tim