Koflach - inside ankle bang - anyone else?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Ok - since 2000, I have been a huge fan of the ole plastics - I bought these in late 2000 (degre's) and they have served me very well - in fact I used to hark that they were the most comfy boots I owned.

I am going to estimate they have 500-600 miles. never had problems. Last 2 times out - I am getting seroius bang on the inside left ankle bone. :mad: :mad: :( I have tried all different combo of loose tight inner/outer boots - nothing really helps. It came to the point that I had went to my montrail morraines (which were fine BTW) this past weekend cuz I couldn't risk pain and going slow with low temps. (and you can climb easy ice in montrail morraines :D)

I have called Koflach and they didn't really have answers besides "you need a new inner boot that costs 100 bucks". I was thinking of padding it somehow with foam, but then you risk a pressure spot. I just think its odd - all of a sudden. I am thinking going over to the leather mountainerring boots - I have to sort this out prior to heading out west this summer.

I would spend the 100 bucks for the new inner - but now thinking maybe just get new leather mountainerring boots like la sportiva, boreal, etc, that way the problem will hopefully be solved with new boots.

but before I do that - anyone have thoughts, are had this issue when inners wear out?

I had some Vasque winter backpacking boots give me huge pains on the inside ankle bone simply cause it was such a high top boot (for the ankle support), it would simply rub. No matter how I laced the uppers it would rub and cause pain, but I would suggest to try different lacing patterns on the Degres and/or perhaps slightly looser. It might just be an issue with how the boots are laced so changing the pattern/or tension might help things along.

I eventually gave up and use basic dayhiking boots for backpacking which I am more than happy with. Frankly, I don't need the extrastiff, extra hightop boots for backpacking.

Jay

giggy said:
I have called Koflach and they didn't really have answers besides "you need a new inner boot that costs 100 bucks". I was thinking of padding it somehow with foam, but then you risk a pressure spot. I just think its odd - all of a sudden. I am thinking going over to the leather mountainerring boots - I have to sort this out prior to heading out west this summer.

I would spend the 100 bucks for the new inner - but now thinking maybe just get new leather mountainerring boots like la sportiva, boreal, etc, that way the problem will hopefully be solved with new boots.

but before I do that - anyone have thoughts, are had this issue when inners wear out?
Inner boots, particularly closed-cell foam inners, are known to pack out with use. Perhaps the fit has changed over time. Some of the new thermo-fit inners might work, but I don't know how well they wear.

I have 30yr old leather double boots with a felt inner. A bit heavy, but still warm and comfortable.

Doug

giggy said:
I was thinking of padding it somehow with foam, but then you risk a pressure spot.

Could you cut a piece of moleskin in the shape of a donut (or whatever shape works) and tape that to the outside of the liner at the proper location?

its not really a blistering issue - but more of a bang issue - somehting is hitting the ankle - pretty sure its the plastic and the inner boot might not have as much padding as it used too?

you need new liners. Intuition makes Denali thermo-formable liners.
The Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY does the custom heat molding if you buy them there. If you hadn't had such good luck with the plastics I'd say it was time to move on, but maybe not. http://www.neice.com/store/merchant...&Product_Code=IntuitionLiner&Category_Code=56
They're not cheap. For a little more you could buy a new boot, but I'm sure the problem is the liner deteriorating.

Very weird...

Giggy, I have worn brand new Koflachs with pristine inner boots and have repeatedly experienced an ankle bang on the left (only left, never right) inside ankle. I look for something that is jabbing and never find it.
It's really quite frustrating since the right boot is perfect while the left one can be almost insufferable!

The more regular hiking I do with it the more it happens, and it's always at the end of the stride. So steep terrain is much better since I can just flat foot it and bypass this bang.

Doug

cbcbd said:
Giggy, I have worn brand new Koflachs with pristine inner boots and have repeatedly experienced an ankle bang on the left (only left, never right) inside ankle. I look for something that is jabbing and never find it.
It's really quite frustrating since the right boot is perfect while the left one can be almost insufferable!
Check your ankle--it could be the sum of many little impacts over a bump in the bone that over-sensitizes a spot.

Doug

cbcbd said:
Very weird...

The more regular hiking I do with it the more it happens, and it's always at the end of the stride. So steep terrain is much better since I can just flat foot it and bypass this bang.

Doug

this is exactly the same thing that I have - 100% the same - but the right inside ankle and only started in mid-jan. and its the boots not my ankle - becuase I just did a near 15 mile day up lincolns throat and down the ossoe with my leathersand feet were fine at the end. this route had everything from neve' snow, technical ice, rock, trails, steep up and down, so - its the boots for sure.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to adjust the camber of your right boot, like I can do with my downhill ski boots. Perhaps a custom orthotic would help to position the bottom of your foot to the proper angle relative to the boot.

giggy said:
ok dumb question - whats a camber?

Camber

My ski boots have a adjustment screw on the outside of the ankle joint that allows me to change the angle between the sole and uppers.

Upon further investigation, it appears boot fitters call this the cant angle. Here's a description of what I mean: boot fitting

Last edited:
jfb said:
Could you cut a piece of moleskin in the shape of a donut (or whatever shape works) and tape that to the outside of the liner at the proper location?

If you're just looking for a quick-fix, I agree with jfb, except try using some open cell foam, which tends to be less dense than closed cell foam (and therefore less likely to generate a pressure point). I've used this on alpine ski boots with some success. You could try it on both the inside and outside of the liner boot.

I don't really ski so - can I assume a ski-shop would carry this stuff? (foam) - mountain shops seem not to.

and better yet - can someone recommend one around the boston area??- I would rather go to one where people know what they are doing and can answer questions.

Guy, if you guys go to Rainier after Hood/Shasta, I know SummitHaus there sells the intuition liners, at least I was looking at it. of course, this doesn't help you for Hood/Shasta but I thought I'd point that out...

Jay

giggy said:
I don't really ski so - can I assume a ski-shop would carry this stuff? (foam) - mountain shops seem not to.

and better yet - can someone recommend one around the boston area??- I would rather go to one where people know what they are doing and can answer questions.

I can't recommend any specific Boston-area ski shops. Some may be helpful and some may not. However, you may be able to pick up open cell foam at an arts and crafts-type store or a hardware store and you can just experiment with different shapes and sizes of pads yourself. A donut-shape of about 2.0-2.5 inches diameter (and maybe 0.50-0.75 inches thick) worked best for me.

Better yet, if you're looking for open cell foam, most packing matterial use open cell foam inserts that you can reuse rather than going out and buying it. I can pick up plenty where I work but that doesn't really help you up in boston!

Jay

(open cell foam pads)
giggy said:
Perhaps mole foam? Even has an adhesive backing...

At your local drug or hiking store.

Doug