Lafayette break-ins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I would move this thread up as the last weekend of the winter approaches and a lot of folks may be bagging peaks. Last weekend (Saturday to be exact) there was some break-in activity at the parking areas at both ends of the Gale River Loop Road. I was parked at the 5-way intersection and after we came down from Galehead I noticed that someone had jammed a stick into my window between the window gasket and thewindow itself. It looked like an attempt to push the "unlock" button. I then learned of one hiker whose car was broken into at the winter parking area for the Garfield Trail, and another whose glove compartment was opened while he car was parked near mine on Trudeau Road (he had left his car unlocked). Be careful out there.

Any updates on new security measures or recent breakins at the Lafayette Campground lot (93 southbound) since the last post about this area late February?

Last edited:
A friend of mine was broken into at Lafayette a couple of weekends ago (3/11?). Looks like they may have been trying for the car as nothing was taken from inside - they just pryied the door open.

The lot at Nineteen Mile Brook trail is another spot to watch out - I was the victim of a smash & grab there two years ago.

LarryB said:
Looks like they may have been trying for the car as nothing was taken from inside - they just pryied the door open.

:eek: :confused: What? What do you mean they "pried" the door open? I have done that with a Haligan bar and sledge. Not the easiest thing to do and high visibility also. Are you saying they actually popped the Nader bolt and lock and pried it open?

I had my vent window smashed on the Kanc years ago at the Sawyer river trailhead. The sheriff told me they had many break ins there that year. They stole a wallet I didn't know someone left inside the cab and could be seen from the outside. They were pretty neat other than that.

Keith

LarryB said:
A friend of mine was broken into at Lafayette a couple of weekends ago (3/11?). Looks like they may have been trying for the car as nothing was taken from inside - they just pryied the door open.

The lot at Nineteen Mile Brook trail is another spot to watch out - I was the victim of a smash & grab there two years ago.

Newer cars can't be broken into with a "slim jim." AAA now uses wedges to crack the door open a bit, then goes in with a long metal hook to unlock the door. My guess is that the bad guys may have been using that approach.

I didn't see it in person, so I'm not totally sure - but they did not realize anything was wrong until the door swung open when driving away. I suspect Bobby is correct - aparently the latch and/or lock mechanism was pretty trashed.

I parked at the Lafayette Campground parking area (93 Southbound) today for about 5.5 hours with success! I made sure I had nothing of value visible with the exception of some spare cheap trekking poles.

Thanks for the tips!

It kind o surpsies me as the area depsnds on tourism why ont patorl the lot w

TCD said:
We had a run of this some years ago in the adks, before they finally caught the guy. We actually had a close run in with him at the Boquet Hunter Path parking late one night. He fled, but we got a rough ID on his vehicle (black Ford Explorer, IIRC) which we called in to State Police.

The key is to CATCH these guys. Cameras are great, but don't put up signs. You can't deter these guys, they just move to another lot which does not have cameras. You need cameras WITHOUT signs to catch people.

If police had the resources, they could quietly stake out each lot, until they can observe and catch the thieves. It's just very expensive to do that...

TCD
You ar right it is very expensive ! te aew dep[ends on toursin hikers ect for its main source of income .
one would think thebNH state policev would put abit of resurese into thearea . it is popular and heavily used . Whno park acurosr te ctah sppedsr revenue and deter the thieves usually lolcal kids . they think they do nit gecuiagy ut all it take in one buist an kid ot tak ota bustand findallthe tuff and thy get a count foreach theft little jr could be facing a felony as in NH once you hir a 1000 USD east to do or a Band E at nui ight l; yourfacing 5- 3 190 yaers of state tiome .
at least we knwo , when your car is borken into call the cops report it. One it is te only way you get insurance monety 2 it adds to te idiots charges

With all the time and money the USFS has catching hikers in the act of "trinkling", nabbing these trailhead thieves ought to be a slam dunk.

I'm just moving this one up, I figure more people will be heading out in the nicer weather.

Given what I do for a living, I've seen a marked increase in car breaks in the past year or so. Granted, I live and work in Boston, but the same rules should be applied at trailhead parking.

Navigation systems that are left on the windshield or dashboard seem to be in demand. In several instances, cars were broken into and nothing taken, but because the GPS charger was visible, the bad guys assumed the device was in the car and smashed the window. In a handful of other breaks, cars were broken into and cell phone chargers were stolen.

Remember, leave nothing in plain view. If you have a GPS in your car, stash the charger and the carrier before getting to the trailhead. Don't wait until you get to the trailhead to hide things in the trunk. If the interior of your car is "sanitized," the chances of a break in should be decreased. It's a pain in the butt to empty out your car before leaving for a hike, but it's an even bigger pain if your car is emptied by someone else while you're out hiking.

I am unhappy to report that the breakins are still occuring. :(

My car was broken into on Saturday while in the Lafayette day lot on the south side.

They used a crow bar or tire iron(s) to pry the drivers door open actually bending the door frame back away from the car until they could reach the unlock button.

The entire door may need to be replaced, but the guy that looked at it today is optimistic that he'll be able to bend it back into place instead of replacing it. I'm hopeful.

So there's the bad news.... the good news is that all they took was my cash and left all other hidden valuables, including my ipod which was in the glove compartment.

The PD told me that they get these reports regularly where the door has been jammed open, and all that has been taken is cash and prescription drugs while expensive hiking/camping gear is left alone.

I have to ask -- Did they know (how?) you had cash in the car? Are the break-ins random? or were all cars in an area hit?

They are reasonably safe in assuming you won't be back to your car for a while, and nobody really knows whose car is whose. Broken glass is definitely a give away. Prying open the door is quieter, and if challenged they could claim "I locked my keys in the car, and this fine person loaned me their crow bar".

Tim

skimom said:
I am unhappy to report that the breakins are still occuring. :(

They used a crow bar or tire iron(s) to pry the drivers door open actually bending the door frame back away from the car until they could reach the unlock button.

Did you take any pictures of the damage? If so, could you post them? This is more that just idle curiosity.

Keith

I have to ask -- Did they know (how?) you had cash in the car? Are the break-ins random? or were all cars in an area hit?

I have no idea how anyone would know if there were cash in the car. I'm diligent about making sure the car has nothing tempting in sight. I also don't know how to find out if the break ins are random?? I don't know if anyone else was hit that day. The PD did not mention that anyone else had reported a break-in and I didn't think to ask.

For pictures... well.... I took some but it's dark and hard to see, but take a peek.

Ok, been trying to attach them but my filesize is too large. Suggestions? I've been making them smaller and smaller but each time, they are still too large. Is there a way to just get them to the maximum size allowed easily?

Ok, drove the car out of the garage and was able to get a couple good shots.

There is also a dent in the drivers door, near the door handle, where it appears they placed a foot or a knee for leverage?? Just guessing here.

To get a good view, click on "full size" near the top right corner of the screen

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559313393ulzUAs

Hope S-E can recognize type of tool from photos

Would be interesting to know the relative cost of fixing glass & door

bikehikeskifish said:
Are the break-ins random? or were all cars in an area hit?
I have seen some cars targeted and other times everybody is hit, but unless there are other cars you can't tell :)

Broken glass is definitely a give away. Prying open the door is quieter, and if challenged they could claim "I locked my keys in the car, and this fine person loaned me their crow bar".
Back in the old days I once broke my own vent window to get in, replacement was only a few bucks and I put it in myself

I am very sorry for all who had their vehicles broken into and valuables stolen.
I have seen this question posted before but I do not remember seeing a reply.
Do the vehicles that are broken into have a functioning alarm system?
I am just wondering if alarms are a deterrent or if they just don't care.
I realize that they would not be of much value if you were parked in a remote area and no one was around but would they rather break into a vehicle where they would not have much risk of being noticed (heard)?

Maddy said:
I am just wondering if alarms are a deterrent or if they just don't care.

The only person I've ever known to say they actually look up, care, or otherwise notice a car alarm, other than to think "shut that %^$@ing thing up" was, of course, an alarm salesman.

I'm guilty of said behavior. What are you to do? Call the cops, I guess. Take plate numbers, etc. Maybe we should organize the VFTT parking patrol in trips and events ;)

Tim