Lafayette break-ins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Got this email from a reader and I figured I should pass it on:
I wanted you to know – and more importantly to let people on your site know that the Franconia thieves appear to be hard at work again. This weekend at some point, some quality individual broke into my car in the Lafayette campground parking lot while I was away camping and hiking on Saturday and Sunday night. Did some major damage to the door of the car that will probably result in the replacement of the door (used a pry bar to BEND the top of the door far enough to unlock the car). Needless to say, ruined a perfectly good hike. I’ve been to New Hampshire now three times hiking, and on two of the three, my car or someone with me suffered a smash and grab. Measure that against some 20 times in the Adks and Greens, with no break-ins. It’s unbelievable. I’ve had it. If I go to NH again to hike, someone else is driving.

Anyway, sorry about the editorializing, but figured that people should know and maybe something can actually be done about it . . . or at least people will leave their cars unlocked for thieves to pilfer rather than risk having serious damage done.

I thought they put video cameras in the Laffy lot?

- darren

darren said:

- darren
This so s*cks out loud :mad: - it is the first time I have heard of break ins in the winter...just a reminder to all - keep valuables out of site, or better yet - do not have any valuables.
Thanks for the heads up.

darren said:
There are signs about video cameras at the Flume lot

I have heard of breakins in Adk VT NH & ME so I wouldn't count anyplace safe

A winter breakin at a remote trailhead could even be life-threatening if they left something on that ran the battery down and took your dry clothes, even driving home with a broken vent window is no fun

I really hope they catch whoever did this...

I'm really sorry to hear a break-in happened to this hiker. Darren - do you know if they reported it to the State Police or Forest Rangers? It really stinks, regardless. I hope someone catches the low-life that did this.

The Bridle path/East side of I-93 parking area used to have signs about video monitoring, but I don't recall seeing any such signs on the Lafayette Place camping area lots.

---Mike

I believe that there is a video monitoring sign on the north side parking area at Lafayette, but I doubt that any car-break-in low-life would take it seriously. The other hot spot in the Whites for car break-ins is the parking lot at 19-Mile Brook Trail, where the car thieves know that lots of folks are staying at the hut and not likely to be returning at night.

i will second the 19-mile brook trail as a break in hot spot. when working for the amc about 2 years ago i went out to visit a co-worker working at the hut early spring and upon parking the car noticed smashed glass up and down the lot. thought twice about going out. the girl working with him that spring had her windows smashed as well. ended up working at that hut for 5 months and never once left my car at the trailhead.

bryan

Do you think any of the broken in cars had alarms that would alert someone? Do police do random patrolling in those areas.? I wonder who these thieves are-does anyone know if any were caught?

Break-ins suck no matter where you are. Very surprised to hear it was at the Lafayette lot. It gets a lot more traffic then other trailheads.

My question is: Has the video monitoring ever caught anyone and if so what was the punishment? I thought I read somewhere that some folks were caught doing vandalism in the Pinkham area but I never heard what came of it.

darren said:

- darren
I've not seen video cameras at Lafayette lot (I always park at Lafayette Place, which is the northbound side). What I have seen on several occasions is a police officer, with a video camera, slowly cruising thru the lot, photographing people, cars and plates.

It'd be nice if the local papers did a story on the break-ins. That'd no doubt make the authorities do something a little more.

Just curious, if the powers that be decided they wanted to set up a sting (yeah right)... would it be the sheriff or the rangers?

I've slept in my car after late night arrivals at the Lafayette east side lot twice a few years ago. If there were video cameras in use nobody ever checked on me even after I walked around, checked gear, walked the dog etc. It would have been interesting to watch a " vandal " try my door handle with an 85 lb dog sleeping in the driver's seat :D
This whole issue of break-ins infuriates me and is often a deciding factor in where I'll leave a car overnight, sadly enough.

Dave

Technique

Not to doubt the report, but I wonder why the thieves went to the trouble and time to bend a door with a pry bar when breaking a side window would be much quicker. Especially with a pry bar in hand.

We had a run of this some years ago in the adks, before they finally caught the guy. We actually had a close run in with him at the Boquet Hunter Path parking late one night. He fled, but we got a rough ID on his vehicle (black Ford Explorer, IIRC) which we called in to State Police.

The key is to CATCH these guys. Cameras are great, but don't put up signs. You can't deter these guys, they just move to another lot which does not have cameras. You need cameras WITHOUT signs to catch people.

If police had the resources, they could quietly stake out each lot, until they can observe and catch the thieves. It's just very expensive to do that...

TCD

Hillwalker said:
Not to doubt the report, but I wonder why the thieves went to the trouble and time to bend a door with a pry bar when breaking a side window would be much quicker. Especially with a pry bar in hand.
Don't forget that they are already stupid enough to go around breaking into cars...

Doug

Not much worse than ending an awesome hike and finding that your vehicle has been broken into :mad:

This is what I like to recommend:

Take one of those "industrial strength" Rat Traps and put it in a shoe box. Fill it with shredded newspaper, then wrap it up like a present (with a bow) and leave it in the back seat of your vehicle. When you get back from your hike, keep on the look out for the pissed off guy with the broken fingers :D . If you see him, just call 911 :)

Might want to be packing more than just a backpack if you actually do this though... :eek:

I hiked with a guy that left all his doors unlocked and made sure not to leave anything in his car. You have to figure, if they want to get in your car, they are going to break a window or something. Leaving the doors open means they'll do less damage getting in.

Mongoose said:
I hiked with a guy that left all his doors unlocked and made sure not to leave anything in his car. You have to figure, if they want to get in your car, they are going to break a window or something. Leaving the doors open means they'll do less damage getting in.

Back in the late 70's when I was in the Navy and stationed in Virginia Beach, there were a lot of break ins of cars on the base and I owned a 68 GTO Convertible. I used the same logic, leaving it unlocked in the parking lot so thieves wouldn't have to cut my top to get in. They cut it anyway.

If thieves are frustrated by not finding valuables they will probably vandalize the car out of spite. Also, if you don't have any signs of forced entry, your insurance may not cover damages.

Just a thought.

Kevin

kmorgan said:
I used the same logic, leaving it unlocked in the parking lot so thieves wouldn't have to cut my top to get in. They cut it anyway.
Kevin

True.. if they are robbing cars, they probably aren't smart enough to try the doors first.