Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, Flume Traverse - 7/12/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 12, 2008: Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, Flume – Franconia Ridge Trail Traverse

Trails: Greenleaf Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Osseo Trail, Wilderness Trail

Summits: Lafayette, Truman, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Flume

Hikers: Bob & Geri, Trail Trotter (Sue), and me

The day started at Lincoln Woods (our ending location) where I met Trail Trotter to leave a vehicle, which we would use to drive back to the start to retrieve the vehicles left there at the start of the hike. Right on schedule Sue pulled in, I transferred my things to her car, and we headed for the Tramway Lot in Franconia Notch to meet Bob & Geri and start our hike. In Lincoln I asked Sue to go back to Lincoln Woods so that I could be sure my truck was locked and that made us a few minutes late to the trailhead. The conditions were cool with a light breeze and much more overcast than was forecast, but I assumed the morning sun would take care of that.

The plan was to get started at 7:00am. Promptly at 7:15am we set off for our traverse from Franconia Notch to Lincoln Woods. I haven’t been on the Greenleaf Trail for over three years and was interested in a change from the usual routes. With no objections we set off on the Greenleaf to the summit of Lafayette. I remember the trail being rough, but that was on the descent. The roughness provides great footing for climbing and we made good time as we worked our way to the day’s first stop at the Greenleaf Hut. Geri took the lead for most of the day and set a terrific pace that I was completely happy with. Thanks. Along the way we came through Eagle Pass near Eagle Cliff. It is a very interesting place. There were nice views of the cliffs and surrounding areas. After leaving Eagle Pass we enjoyed a dense, moss-covered area that probably doesn’t see much direct sunlight. The moss was very thick and looked pretty comfortable, but nobody was ready for a nap. We continued the hike and soon reached the Greenleaf Hut – it was time for a quick break and to top off with water. I had two one-liter bottles for Gatorade that I mixed at the hut, along with a three-liter reservoir of water which was plenty for me. The weather station at the hut indicated 93% humidity – a very sweaty day.

After a few minutes we were off for Lafayette. We made our way through the short sheltered section leading from the hut and were soon above the treeline. There were still many clouds blowing through, some high and some low, but frequently they opened up for great views and enough sun to eventually add some color to all of us. On the way to the summit we met Rocket21 headed down completing the Lincoln – Lafayette loop. The summit was a crowded place. It seemed people were on every flat rock enjoying the day. We got a few pictures and headed for Lincoln and our lunch.

As we continued south we met an endless stream of hikers headed north. Franconia Ridge was a busy place but the weather was good and it’s Saturday (to be expected). At Lincoln we found a comfortable place on the south side of the summit area and stopped for some lunch. There were a few people on the summit when we arrived. By the time we were ready to leave the place was mobbed. We packed our things and headed out – there was still a distance of nearly ten miles to Lincoln Woods. Our next stop, Mount Liberty via Little Haystack.

A short distance south of Lincoln we passed through the area called the Gargoyles. There is a number of interesting rock formations here. Then, the short walk to Little Haystack. Situated at the junction of the Franconia Ridge and Falling Waters trails it was a busy place as well. People hiking the Lafayette – Lincoln loop pass through here on their way up or down. I don’t believe we slowed on our way through this area and simply continued our hike south. Soon we were back in the spruce and losing elevation on our hike to Liberty. The southern sheltered part of the Franconia Ridge Trail seemed as busy as the exposed section around Lafayette and Lincoln. The most surprising part of this section was the mosquitoes – or complete lack of them. We were in the thick spruce but there were no biting insects. Very nice! Before we knew it we were at the Liberty Springs – Franconia Ridge trails junction. Only 200 feet and a quarter mile and we will be on the summit of Mount Liberty. A couple quick pictures and we were gone.

In no time we were making the final climb to the summit. On liberty we stopped for quick refreshment and to enjoy the views. Finally, the crowds were getting smaller. Up to this point we have been moving well and staying on book-time plus our breaks. Since we still had over seven miles to Lincoln Woods we limited our break and were soon headed for Mount Flume.

On the way between Liberty and Flume we met another familiar face – LarryD with Mrs. LarryD. We stopped for a quick visit and were off for our final summit of the day. The hike between Liberty and Flume is a little over one mile with 450 feet in elevation. We quickly made it through this section, reached Flume, and stopped to enjoy the place. As it has been all day, the summit was open with great views. The distant peaks were hidden in haze but we still could enjoy looking back to Franconia Notch, past Kinsman Ridge, over the Pemi, and south past the Sandwich Range. Pretty nice.

All that was left was to hike the Osseo and Wilderness trails back to Lincoln Woods representing a little under six miles and no elevation. We set off on the Osseo trail and found a place where there was evidence of a great amount of tree damage this past winter but the trails crew did their usual fantastic job in clearing the trail. We found no blowdowns along the way. Soon we were on the log bridges and I knew the ladders (more like wilderness staircases) were just around the corner. Off the ladders we made our way through a few switchbacks and were soon on the final long ramp that leads to the Wilderness Trail. After the last pitch down to brook level we made a stop for Geri to cool off and clean-up a little in the stream. We all picked up mud along the way and probably should have joined her. Then we were off to the Wilderness Trail a short distance ahead and then Lincoln Woods. This final hike out had a book time of roughly three hours but when we left Flume I was pretty sure we would improve on that a little. In fact, without pushing at all we completed this section in 45 minutes under book time – not bad for the end of a long day.

At Lincoln Woods we had a welcoming committee. HikerBob was there with cold drinks. Frosting on the cake.

As always, thanks to Sue for a fun day out. And, thanks to Bob & Geri for a great hike down the ridge (it's been a while since our last hike together). Let’s try to space these hikes a little closer together.

I've posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Good seeing you again, Earl! Nice meeting you, Sue, Bob, and Geri! Looks like you guys had great timing in regard to views - pretty much everything about 5,000 feet was in clouds when I came over the ridge from Falling Waters.

Great TR and pics

I'm spending this weekend living vicariously through others TRs while my nose heals. Thanks for posting this, Earl. You're a hiking machine!

KDT

Hey Big Earl.....I think i saw you on Lincoln Woods Trail around 6pm Saturday. I was hiking with Leaf heading up to the Bonds.

You probably also saw JasonPatrikz flying down Franconia Ridge and Osseo Trail.

Nice trip report!

Great report and photos Earl, second only to the actual hike! We were blessed with the views as we seemed to have them quite a bit while being kept cool by the clouds. What a finish we had - right Sue :>

Matts, we did see you, but didn't recognize you or Leaf I am afraid until it was too late.

Jeremy - great to meet you!

Looking forward to the next hike together!

Jeremy, Good to see you on Lafayette. A very nice surprise. :)

Kevin, I won't ask. Just one thing... Would a better reaction time help? I've found things slow down with age. If the hike report has done anything to improve your weekend then that's great news! And, the others are the machines; I was the caboose for most of the hike. ;)

Mats, if you’re referring to a big guy with his butt bouncing on the railroad ties, then it was me. Damn Wilderness Trail, I’m still pulling splinters out. :rolleyes: I recall you two hiking past. You did two laps, or perhaps more? Impressive.

I believe I recall seeing Jason pass through. I have his image in my head but can’t seem to recall exactly where I saw him. I think it was somewhere on the second half of the ridge. :confused:

Bob – stay tuned. Thanks again to you and Geri. ;)

BIGEarl said:
I believe I recall seeing Jason pass through. I have his image in my head but can’t seem to recall exactly where I saw him. I think it was somewhere on the second half of the ridge. :confused:

Thinking about it myself i believe i passed you guys right around the top of the flume slide trail area. Around 4pm? (Red Tank, black shorts)

You mentioned how the ridge was packed, probably the most i had ever seen up there. It was nice getting to little haystack and beyond as it was much less crowded.

Jason

Great TR and great to see other people out enjoying the day.

JasonPatrikz said:
Thinking about it myself i believe i passed you guys right around the top of the flume slide trail area. Around 4pm? (Red Tank, black shorts)

You mentioned how the ridge was packed, probably the most i had ever seen up there. It was nice getting to little haystack and beyond as it was much less crowded.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I knew it was in the later part of the hike. How could I forget? :confused: When you passed by Bob's hat blew off. ;)

I'm curious - how many laps did you complete? You guys are amazing!

BIGEarl said:
Thanks Jason,

I knew it was in the later part of the hike. How could I forget? :confused: When you passed by Bob's hat blew off. ;)

I'm curious - how many laps did you complete? You guys are amazing!

Jason pulled of one Pemi-loop in 10:09 :eek:
He had 2:55 to Twinway and 7:00 to Lafayette.

Leaf went in the opposite direction of Jason but after the first loop she went back up to Bonds for a 2nd loop (gotta be hungry to pull that off :eek: )......she's posting a trip report on that soon.....she went 42 miles before pulling out the sleeping pad for a nap before continuing......I'll shut up and let her tell the story.....

Ah, yep, I saw all of you guys on the Lincoln Trail heading out for more suffering. Unfortunately with my delerium, I recognized you after we passed eachother.

Franconia Ridge at 2-3 a.m. isn't a crowded place at all. :D

Earl: It was nice seeing you, Bob and Geri again, and meeting Sue. My apologies for not properly introducing my wife Cathy (otherwise known as Mrs. Larry D) to all of you. Hope to see you out on the trails again.

Larry

JasonPatrikz said:

Jason

I think you passed us as well! Holy moly! This was between Lafayette and Lincoln around 2-3ish?

I was hiking with Rider.Steve and his son--not that you'd know us as we've never met! But I do remember the runner--you!

LarryD said:
Earl: It was nice seeing you, Bob and Geri again, and meeting Sue. My apologies for not properly introducing my wife Cathy (otherwise known as Mrs. Larry D) to all of you. Hope to see you out on the trails again.

Larry
Larry,

No problem. Hi to Cathy! As usual when I'm hiking, my hearing aids were packed away. I may have missed the introduction, which is common for me. :eek: Stuff is wearing out. :rolleyes:

Sorry for being a little slow myself but it was probably your headgear that threw me off. It's funny how our summer hiking costumes make us look differently from our winter gear - and not just a little bit.

Our paths will cross again soon I'm sure.

Earl

;)

Seeker said:
I was hiking with Rider.Steve and his son--not that you'd know us as we've never met! But I do remember the runner--you!

Some one shouted to their hiking partner, "look at the runner". Not sure if it was you? I summited Lafayette at 1:55pm and continued on with out stopping on the summits.

Bob,

Nice report and pictures. I had forgotted about the Forest Ranger doing crowd control on Little Haystack. When we passed by I think he was on a break working his way through an apple. :rolleyes: He certainly had lots of company.

Thanks for posting.

Earl

JasonPatrikz said:
Some one shouted to their hiking partner, "look at the runner". Not sure if it was you? I summited Lafayette at 1:55pm and continued on with out stopping on the summits.

It very well might have been--Steve's son (13 yrs) was floored that someone would run it. And that was definitely the right timing. I remember noticing your day pack and thinking that you were carrying more fluid/water than most trail runners I've come across. Little did I know just how far you were going!! :) Nice work!