Lafayette & Lincoln via Skookumchuck 6/16/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 16, 2007: Lafayette, Lincoln

Trails: Skookumchuck Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail

Distance – Elevation: 12 Miles, 4,300 Feet

The day started a little earlier than usual. I woke up before the alarm and hit the road north a little earlier than planned. Originally, I was hoping to reach the trailhead by 7:00am but with the early start I was there approximately 6:15am. There was a person sitting in one of the cars parked in the trailhead lot. I got out of the truck to prepare for the day and the person in the car also got moving. It turned out to be a hiker named Rols that I had met on Cannon Mountain New Year’s Eve – 2005. We decided to hike together. Since the only trail leaving the lot was the Skookumchuck and the only place it went was Mount Lafayette logic said we were both planning to hike to Mount Lafayette. I was also planning to hike to Lincoln and possibly Garfield but Rols was only interested in Lafayette – at first. I had a few hours of hiking to change his mind.

Hiking the Skookumchuck Trail was recommended by Hikerbob and Kevin Rooney. I value the opinion of both and was looking forward to the hike. We were on the trail by approximately 6:30am. The Skookumchuck Trail is in great shape. The necessary clearing from storm damage during the winter has been done and aside from a few minor mud pits it is a clear and dry trail. Most steep sections have stone stairs that helped make the trail a pleasure. For some reason that isn’t obvious to me this trail is not particularly popular. We saw no other hikers on the trail going in and only three on the way out. I thought it was a great trail and will definitely hike it again. At the bottom sections the trail has a number of areas with beautiful thick fern growth. There is also a substantial population of mosquitoes and black flies. Even with the insect population I never pulled out the deet. Rols was the insect target for the day. Rols is a pleasure to hike with – his ideal speed is the same as my ideal speed. We worked our way along the Skookumchuck Trail taking advantage of periodic photo opportunities, rest stops, and Rols provided an education on it and other areas of interest. He really knows the mountains and trails.

The upper end of the trail is a junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail (GRT). One thought I had was to hike out to Garfield on the return, it’s only a ~5.5 mile side trip. Being able to add this peak would depend on the time, weather, and available energy. We reached the GRT and continued on to Lafayette. Soon after reaching the GRT we moved above the treeline. The views were a little hazy but great. We could see well into Vermont, to the north, and to the east beyond the Presidentials. We both picked up the pace of snapping pictures. The next obstacle to clear on the way to Lafayette is a high spot called North Lafayette. Standing at the treeline looking up suggested it was going to take some work. We continued with our slow-and-steady pace and were on North Lafayette in no time. From there we could see the summit of Lafayette – and the weekend crowd.

There’s a gradual drop of approximately 50 feet before the final ascent to Lafayette. We quickly moved through this last section and found ourselves sitting on the summit enjoying a quick lunch. There was quite a gathering here and looking to the south on the Franconia Ridge Trail (FRT) we could see more people on their way. We stayed long enough to enjoy the snack and get some pictures, and then we were off headed for Mount Lincoln. Rols originally planned to hike to Lafayette and call it a day. His plans changed and we hiked together to Lincoln.

The FRT to Lincoln has a bump in the middle that amounts to roughly 150 feet that we were able to enjoy in both directions. Hiking on FRT is generally easy with a great trail and the added elevation gain wasn’t a real problem. We quickly moved across the .9 miles to Lincoln, enjoyed the views, grabbed some pictures, and headed back to Lafayette. The extra 150 feet going north wasn’t at all welcomed probably because we were also looking at a re-climb of approximately 450 feet to Lafayette. Soon we were able to rejoin the Lafayette crowd for a quick break.

While relaxing on Lafayette we observed some stormy weather headed our way. There were a couple significant areas of rain that were headed to the north from the Kancamagus. One of the storms appeared to be over Owls Head and moving toward Garfield. Suddenly, a side trip to Garfield didn’t seem like a very good idea. After the break we set off on the GRT to the Skookumchuck Trail junction, which was also my final decision point on Garfield. We reached the trail junction; I looked over my shoulder, looked at my watch, and decided to head straight back to the trailhead. Time and weather were both working against me on hiking to Garfield.

The hike back to the trailhead was uneventful. The black flies were out in force but still no deet for BIGEarl – Rols was the main course for the day. I believe we saw three other hikers between the Skookumchuck – GRT trails junction and the trailhead. The hike out went quickly. We were back at the vehicles by mid-afternoon and quickly packed our things away for the trip home.

Overall it was a very good day. I was able to get to know Rols more than the previous meeting on Cannon allowed and enjoy his company for the day. The conditions and views were great, and weather-wise we were able to dodge a couple bullets.

I’ll be back on the Skookumchuck again if for no other reason than to access the section of the GRT between Skookumchuck junction and Mount Garfield for redlining. I’m also hopeful to hike more with Rols.

I have posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

By the way: If you're interested, go full size on picture #18 and you can see two AMC huts in one picture.

:)

Last edited:
Great trip report, as usual! That bump between Lafayette and Lincoln is unofficially officially called Mt. Truman.

Glad you liked the trail - I didn't think you'd be disappointed. And, it's a mystery to me why it doesn't get more traffic, but I suppose when it's competing with OBP there really isn't a comparison.

One time I got caught in a mid-morning t-storm when hiking this trail in early June. We were walking along the brook section when we had to hunker down - boy, was it loud! I don't think I've ever heard a storm more noisy, as the sound bounced back and forth in the Notch. Was very glad when it passed.

If you head up Skookumchuck again, you might want to take a 3/4 mile detour half way up and bag Big Bickford (3261'). You've already been to Garfield, Lafayette and Lincoln, right?

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I have often heard the name "Mt. Truman" applied to that peak, but the Trailwrights list calls it North Lincoln.

Ya, we had a discussion about this over at AZ a little over a month ago...apparently originally, it was Mt. Lincoln...on the maps at the base of the OBT, the USFS refers to it as Truman.

rocket21 said:
Great trip report, as usual! That bump between Lafayette and Lincoln is unofficially officially called Mt. Truman.

Mt. Truman??? I didn’t know that!

Kevin Rooney said:
Glad you liked the trail - I didn't think you'd be disappointed. And, it's a mystery to me why it doesn't get more traffic, but I suppose when it's competing with OBP there really isn't a comparison.

One time I got caught in a mid-morning t-storm when hiking this trail in early June. We were walking along the brook section when we had to hunker down - boy, was it loud! I don't think I've ever heard a storm more noisy, as the sound bounced back and forth in the Notch. Was very glad when it passed.

Thanks again for the recommendation. The Skookumchuck Trail did not disappoint. I’ve been up and down OBP a number of times and I’ll probably be inclined to hike Skookumchuck again before OBP. OBP is a nice trail with some terrific views but Skookumchuck has its attractive features as well.

I think one of the real pretty spots is in the posted slideshow. It is the picture of the stone stairs leaving the dense fern growth. I was really enjoying the scenery. Rols was really “enjoying” the mosquitoes and black flies. (Perhaps it was the other way around.)

bigmoose said:
If you head up Skookumchuck again, you might want to take a 3/4 mile detour half way up and bag Big Bickford (3261'). You've already been to Garfield, Lafayette and Lincoln, right?

Yes, I’ve hiked them several times. I’m already thinking about going back. My interest in hiking to Garfield was to redline the short piece of the Garfield Ridge Trail between the Skookumchuck Trail and Garfield. Big Bickford would be a great addition and make a nice day hike.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I have often heard the name "Mt. Truman" applied to that peak, but the Trailwrights list calls it North Lincoln.

Well…. It looks like some legislative action may be needed to resolve this one.

rocket21 said:
Ya, we had a discussion about this over at AZ a little over a month ago...apparently originally, it was Mt. Lincoln...on the maps at the base of the OBT, the USFS refers to it as Truman.

Here’s a picture of the map at the OBP trailhead:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2202402320100164819qYzDOw

If you go full size and zoom on the ridge you’ll be able to clearly read the details. There seems to be no mention of Mt. Truman.

Hmmmm…..

Perhaps there's another map. :confused:

Last edited:
Nice report Earl - glad you got to meet Rols - a great guy to hike with. skook has been on my list for a long time...some day...

Frankly, I am shocked that he started a hike so late! :D I also cannot believe he was using such a small pack - winter is over!!

Excellent pictures on a great day.

Last edited:
BIGEarl said:
Here’s a picture of the map at the OBP trailhead:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2202402320100164819qYzDOw

If you go full size and zoom on the ridge you’ll be able to clearly read the details. There seems to be no mention of Mt. Truman.

Hmmmm…..

Perhaps there's another map. :confused:

I don't know if I still have it, but the map I picked up near the trailhead (handout, not the posted one) had it on there. If I can dig it up, I'll take a photo of it.

rocket21 said:
I don't know if I still have it, but the map I picked up near the trailhead (handout, not the posted one) had it on there. If I can dig it up, I'll take a photo of it.

That explains it. I kinda thought there must be another map. ;)

Yessir...I don't have it in my map collection though, so I think it may have made it into the trash instead. Nonetheless, its about 5,000 feet.

marty said:
Great TR and photos, Big Earl. Man, I gotta do Skookumchuck this year!

Nice mountain identification on your photos, by the way. You seem to know them all :cool:

Regards,
Marty

Marty, Thanks. It’s a good hike.

Re: Photo-ID, I’ve believe trying to include identification of the picture content makes them more meaningful. I mess up at times but there’s always someone to help by quickly pointing out the error. And, I happen to appreciate the help. :eek:

sapblatt said:
Nice report Earl - glad you got to meet Rols - a great guy to hike with. skook has been on my list for a long time...some day...

Frankly, I am shocked that he started a hike so late! :D I also cannot believe he was using such a small pack - winter is over!!

Excellent pictures on a great day.

Hey Mike,

Rols is a great guy to hike with. I first met him on the summit of Cannon, late morning on New Year’s Eve – 2005. It was uncomfortable up there that day and he didn’t stick around for a long time to visit. I recall your name and avatar being mentioned, however.

I understand the "pack" comment. ;)

With his background and my recent history we had plenty of non-hiking topic material to discuss while on the trail. It was a very enjoyable day for sure.

rocket21 said:

Your comment got the better of my curiosity. After some digging I found the brochure with a map that referenced North Lafayette and Mt. Truman.

Here's the publication: Franconia Ridge Alpine Zone

:D

BIGEarl said:
Yes, I’ve hiked them several times. I’m already thinking about going back. My interest in hiking to Garfield was to redline the short piece of the Garfield Ridge Trail between the Skookumchuck Trail and Garfield. Big Bickford would be a great addition and make a nice day hike.
A nice loop variation is up Skookumchuck, down to the hut, down Greenleaf Tr, and along the bike path back to your car. Did it several years ago and found it very pleasant.

Doug

DougPaul said:
A nice loop variation is up Skookumchuck, down to the hut, down Greenleaf Tr, and along the bike path back to your car. Did it several years ago and found it very pleasant.

Doug
I often do it; it is a great trip. My variation is to park at the Tramway (Greenleaf trailhead) and do the bike path walk at the start of the trip rather than at the end. A "road walk" seems much shorter at the start of the day than after a long hike!

DougPaul said:

Doug

I did this a few weeks ago, in reverse. Although it was unplanned (I bailed out of a longer hike . . . my eyes were bigger than my quads), it was definitely a nice hike.