Large Snow Storm hitting northern New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, Giggy. For what it's worth, I'd be singing the same tune as you if I had the plans you do...

giggy said:
sucks :mad: terrible timing
Dude, just pull a Gene Simmons and breath fire, which would melt the snow causing it to refreeze instantly....thus you get to use crampons instead!!!! :D

DSC_3189.jpg

Brian

Skied Waterville on Sunday.
WOW! is all I gotta say!
Nice dry snow, etc. Unreal. Best of the year
so far. They said 10-12" of dry fresh on Fri->Sat.

NewHampshire said:
Dude, just pull a Gene Simmons and breath fire, which would melt the snow causing it to refreeze instantly....thus you get to use crampons instead!!!! :D
Brian
$64K question: If ol' Gene were to lick a frozen fence post with that tongue of his, could he then release himself by breathing some of that fire?

F-Face said:
Skied Waterville on Sunday.
WOW! is all I gotta say!
Nice dry snow, etc. Unreal. Best of the year
so far. They said 10-12" of dry fresh on Fri->Sat.

We woke up to 9 inches of freshies on saturday at Sunday River, and it continued to fall all day. WOW! It was *amazing*! HUGE mounds of fresh ungroomed powder everywhere...my best day of skiing yet! I was really able to push it to the next level. A challenging day!

Sunday's winds kept the higher mountain lifts closed until noon, but we managed to traverse across South Peak and enjoy fresh tracks on the lower portions of Escapade and Dreammaker and enjoyed about four runs by ourselves before anyone else seemed to notice (and a fair amount of kick and glide to get over there in between runs). All I can say is W00T! Most of the snow was pretty pushed around by the time the majority of the lifts got running, but I was able to continue to advance in crisp, groomed courdurouy on some blues that were getting less attention from other skiers, and I played around in the beginner mogul area. Felt like everywhere was a mogul field on saturday!!! Very fun!

MJ got fresh tracks on Spruce Peak -- he said it was *very fast*. Needless to say, I didn't go up there :p

More snow in the forecast this week...and we have to go back to Sunday River....I'm picking up my new skiis! :D :D :D

Last edited:
As someone who is moving back to NH this summer after a year in CO I'm reading these posts with dubious-envy. Considering the last two winters in NH I'm excited for you guys and very jealous that I'm not home to share in the fun. However, it was 74 and sunny here in the Front Range last Saturday with dry trails and I spent the day mountain biking in simply a bike jersey and bike shorts. My tan is already returning!

I can't wait to move back...but it's been nice to run and bike on dry trails in late Feb. early March!

una_dogger said:
More snow in the forecast this week...and we have to go back to Sunday River....I'm picking up my new skiis! :D :D :D

Well, I hope to play hookey next week and hit some mid-week turns in So. VT or northern NH.

I just got "shaped" skis this year - 171cm - I can really abuse these skis v. my old, heavy, straight missles! it is a lotta fun. Like yuo, I enjoyed heaps of powder all over H20valley on Sunday! BEST!

From another (now slightly more controversial) thread:

Mattl said:
Dont worry, I think the big storm Friday night and Saturday is going to be mostly rain, while that can give weight on roofs, it can melt the snow too. I gotta say..I might be getting for a bit of spring. -Mattl

"Another one bites the dust." Oh nooooo, Mattl has bailed on us! Well, personally, I'm still hoping to ski on the March 21 full moon. :cool:

Not spring yet! I realized just how much I'm a winter person this morning when I came to work wearing just a thin fleece jacket with the heat turned off in the car. It was a whopping 36 degrees.

Haha, no I didn't bail, its just nice to feel 45 right now with the sun. It was an interesting winter. I wonder if thats how the "old timers" remember it.
;) -Mattl

David Metsky said:
What do you mean, "was"? It's just March 6th, plenty of winter left. :)

Thats for sure. The latest I've seen measurable snow in my short life was May 18, 2002, down in Chester , NH. We picked up 2.5 inches. Thats when I officially close the book on winter. Back in the late 70s, May 9, there was a nasty snowstorm in the west of Boston (1977 I think?) that dumped over 10 inches, esp in the higher elevations, and brought down a lot of the new leaves that were beginning to grow. Even Boston picked up a trace of snow that day.

here is something interesting...A little May Snowstorm Climatology, and that May 9-10 snowstorm is in there.

http://www.geocities.com/donsutherland1/generalmay.html

http://www.geocities.com/donsutherland1/generalmay16.html

And while I'm here...June thru August, just to depress all those summer lovers. ;-)

http://www.geocities.com/donsutherland1/generaljun.html

grouseking

grouseking said:
Back in the late 70s, May 9, there was a nasty snowstorm in the west of Boston (1977 I think?) that dumped over 10 inches, esp in the higher elevations, and brought down a lot of the new leaves that were beginning to grow. Even Boston picked up a trace of snow that day.

That was our first year in the house in Newton, just west of Boston. The trees had leafed out, and we got at least 5 inches of heavy wet snow that clung to everything. A limb of one of our Norway maples broke and crashed down on our mudroom roof in the middle of the night, scaring the crap out of us.