Laying Down Some Red Ink on Cannon Mtn 5-31-14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
A few weeks old but I thought this was still worth sharing.

Always looking for something to spice things up I decided to hike Cannon via the Kinsman Ridge Tr from the tram parking lot but then check out the Cannon - Mittersill (or Mittersill - Cannon) Tr. There were no signs just yellow blazes and the trail stays on ski trails the entire time. The question was how to get back to the tram parking lot and I found the answer by doing a little research online. Thank you 1HappyHiker. :D I could walk a short distance from the Mitersill parking lot then take an unnamed path along the west shore of Echo Lake. While I was at it I figured I would check out Bald Pk and Artists Bluff as well.

Unfortunately when the day came it was cloudy and lightly raining but it wouldn't stop me. At least I saw no one until descending from Artist's Bluff.

I'll spare you most of the details unless someone inquires about the specifics but the route was Kinsman Ridge Tr>Rim Tr>Short Tr>Cannon-Mitersill Tr>NH 18>Veteran's Tr>Bals Mtn Spur>Loop Tr>Short Circuit>unamed path>boat launch and tram lot. Total distance of about 7.6 and 2900' elev+.

Continue straight ahead for the Cannon-Mitersille Tr. The chain across the trail says "Hiking is not permitted on ski trails due to environmental and safety concers" but a cairn and yellow blaze on some rock can be seen straight ahead.

20140608_5.JPG

20140608_7.JPG

The summit of Mitersill I'm sure has amazing views, as does the trail as you descend. It is lightly used and never teribly steep, although some gravelly spots had loose footing.

20140608_13.JPG

We had Artist's Bluff to ourselves.

20140608_26.JPG

The unamed path along the west shore of Echo Lake. Since I had Marlie, and dogs aren't allowed at the beach, we walked along a service road that met the path about half way down the lake the headed north to the beach and doubled back to the boat launch so we could see thw whole trail. It did not disappoint.

20140608_29.JPG

Despite the rain it was a great hike with few others out. This makes a nice loop up over Cannon and comes in around 6 miles and 2400' elev+ without the add ons. I would like to give it another shot on a nice day.

Here are the rest of the pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/117581678131843187857/albums/6026084939038018577

Look Here

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=16879

Nice report, Ian. Too bad we missed each other, hitting Cannon on the same weekend, on the same trail, too. I've enjoyed the few foggy hikes I've had - memorably Greylock in July 2011 and Camel's Hump last fall. I like the dreamlike feeling the fog gives. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Once, a couple of years ago, up on top of Cannon I was told by another hiker that she had just been told by someone who works for the Cannon ski area that if caught hiking on one of the ski trails there would be a very stiff fine. I never tried to find out if it was true.

Once, a couple of years ago, up on top of Cannon I was told by another hiker that she had just been told by someone who works for the Cannon ski area that if caught hiking on one of the ski trails there would be a very stiff fine. I never tried to find out if it was true.

The exception to that would be where the ski trails coincide with marked hiking trails, as with the new Mittersill-Cannon Trail. Steve Smith has a good write-up on this new trail in his Mountain Wandering blog. The NH legislature in a recent year acted to require the Cannon resort to put this trail in. It has both the advantages and disadvantages of climbing a mountain via its ski trails. I chose it b/c it looked likely to offer much better footing than the KRT. Worked out well for me. It was funny, on the climb, to cross the rope between the grounds of the tramway building and the resort's main chairlift, with a stern sign banning hiking on the ski trails, having just fully legally climbed the mountain in just that way. ...

It was funny, on the climb, to cross the rope between the grounds of the tramway building and the resort's main chairlift, with a stern sign banning hiking on the ski trails, having just fully legally climbed the mountain in just that way. ...

This confusion and stern attitude is intentional.