Leash Law in the Adirondacks.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now...a word from our sponsor....

Hi. It's me. I'm the person who got this ball rolling. I know this thread comes up from time to time, but it'd been a while and it was on my mind.

I moved up to the ADK region almost 10 years ago with my dog. It was just the two of us and we covered a lot of ground back then. But he got old and eventually stopped hiking. His last winter peak was Hurricane at age 12. He passed away last summer at age 15, but every time I took down my pack he'd stand by the door ready to go. Great companion. I've got his ashes in a box and one windy day soon I plan to let them go on one of our favorite peaks. I hope no one minds.

I started hiking in the high peaks about 15 years ago and never really gave the leash laws much thought. My dog never gave anyone any trouble, although he did wander off from time to time. Pete Fish used to greet us with a smile on the trail and never said anything about the rules. One day though, a summit steward asked me to use a leash above treeline. Luckily, I had some rope in my pack.

George Carlin said "life is a series of dogs." About a month after my dog died, my wife took me to an animal shelter and told me to get on with it. We brought home a little puppy and by now he's filled the space that my last dog had left. Great dog. Smart and sweet and lots of fun. I started him hiking when he was very young. We went on little local trails you'll likely never see. He stays right with me. Sits when I stop. The joy of canine companionship is back in my life.

So I began to wonder if there were any trails that were "dog friendly." I really do enjoy having him along. I started this thread innocently enough. The response has surprised me--and not just in terms of volume. People are writing passionately about leash laws. What really surprises me most though, is the apparent preponderance of leash supporters. I brought my question to VFT because I know there are lots of dedicated hikers and thoughtful folks here. I wanted to know what you think. What I'm learning is that most folks here really would prefer that dogs be leashed. It's giving me a lot to think about. Thanks everyone, for your input.

Now I'd like to move on to my next question.... For those of you who leash your pets while hiking or skiing, have you got any tips? I'd prefer go hands free if possible. Arguments for or against retractable? Harness vs. collar? How best to tether while camping or resting?

Bloombloom,

You will always seen more pro-leash posters, as many don't bother to get into an argument any longer as the topic just incites fury. It's been so beaten to death over the years that most just pipe-down. I wish I had, as well. I would bet a majority don't necessarily feel you should always leash your dog. I would have no desire to prove that one way or another.

I use a retractable leash that I hook to my pack via a carabiner. It gives them a little room, that can be easily tightened up. You can keep your hands free while they are tied up. After you have passed the area where they need to be leashed, just unhook them and let them go until it's required again.

As for camping, usually the pup is so tired by the time we pull into camp I just feed her, give her a drink, and she will crawl into the tent and go to sleep. I usually don't bother tying her up in camp because she's in the tent. I do keep her collar on, with a short leash hanging, while she's in the tent in case she smells something and tries to get out I can hold on to her. Never really been a problem.

I know the feeling about them always wanting to go. I used to wear the same hat, and every time I put in on my head she'd go nuts. She knew. If I ever did not take her, when I'd get home she would smell my pack, then ignore me for the rest of the night.

As I stated previously, I hike almost exclusively in the Whites, so the laws are more relaxed than you may find in New York.

Boombloom,

I'm not pro-leash but I just don't argue about it any more. I won't hike where my dog can't go free. It isn't fun to be tethered to each other on a steep rocky slope, and we've had to do it a few times.

I too just lost my dog (Lab) at the age of 15. We plan to scatter her ashes on each of the NE 100 peaks, most of which she climbed with us. There'll be a new puppy arriving in October to fill the void. My husband says he can barely make it till then!

Tip for Boombloom

I tele with my dog, and while on trail, she's on leash.

The only tip I have is to lookout for the surprise yank from your dog while skiing with a large pack. It's only funny for the people watching and laughing at you. :)

i agree with dug and audrey,

this debate goes back and forth so much that it just makes sense to let it die. when this first came about i wrote a long winded post in which i stated that i don't leash my dog BUT i also only take my dog to areas where such a law does not exist. i'm afraid of the day when it will be rule throughout the park to have a dog on a leash.

that said, let it go. and just enjoy being out in the wilderness. if it so happens that a dog comes along with out leash, god forbid, just say your opinion and let it go. it's pretty sad to read that one instance on the trail that might take up 30 seconds of ones time can ruin an entire 3-4hr hike in the woods. i think that says something about you, for that one instance can ruin what you came for. NO STRESS.

just let it go, learn to live and forget!!!
happy hiking

I would have to say my dogs over the years have been my favorite hiking companions -- they don't talk back to you, still adore you at the end of the day, and clean up after you when you're done eating. I would love to let my dog run free on the trail all day long. That being said, I realize that not all hikers are dog lovers and I try to be considerate of other people. Where the law states that leashes are required then by all means everyone should leash their dog. Where the law states that leashes are not required then it's up to your own common sense and consideration -- leash your dog when on a crowded trail or summit or when approaching other people.

:D Sorry to continue a thread that might be at its end ... :D

Let's stop all this yackin' and will someone PLEASE explain what the rule is? All these opinions have not answered the original question.

Must dogs be leashed everywhere at at all times in the Eastern region? Yes or no?

If not, where can I allow my dog to be unleashed?

BTW, does the winter snow season affect the rules?

I will obey the rules, but I still don't know what they are!!!!!

Thanks

FYI . . .

Here are snippets of the NY "Part 190.13" Rules that pertain to dogs and leashes:

"Miscellaneous restrictions."

"3. In the High Peaks Wilderness Area, no person shall:"

"x. leave a pet unattended or fail to maintain complete control over the pet;"

"xi. fail to have, in their immediate possession, proof of a valid and current rabies inoculation for any dog which is accompanying them;"

"4. In the Eastern High Peaks Zone, no person shall fail to leash pets on trails, at primitive tent sites, at lean-to sites, at elevations above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates, provided that this provision shall not be applicable to hunting dogs which, with a licensed hunter, are actively hunting during appropriate hunting seasons at locations other than primitive tent sites, lean-to sites, at elevations above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates."

Definitions that pertain:

"High Peaks Wilderness Area means those lands in the Towns of Keene, North Hudson, Newcomb and North Elba, Essex County; Harrietstown, Franklin County; and Long Lake, Hamilton County described in the most current copy of the "Adirondack Park Land Use and Development Plan Map and State Land Map" on file in the offices of the Adirondack Park Agency. The High Peaks Wilderness Area shall include the Adirondack Canoe Route Zone, the Western High Peaks Zone, and the Eastern High Peaks Zone."

"Eastern High Peaks Zone means that portion of the High Peaks Wilderness Area located to the east of the ridge line immediately west of the Indian Pass Trail."

G.

Don't get confused . . .

The language of the REGULATION is quite clear. It must be read in light of applicable DEFINITIONS regarding the areas covered, which are part of the regulations. Unless I misunderstand process, the various Unit Management Plans (UMPs) are not regulations in and of themselves, but may call for or lead to the writing of regulations (which have the force of law) to implement their provisions.

Bottom line is that I'd trust the regulation, as cited above (taken directly from the DEC web site), for accurate guidance on whether or not my dog must be leashed as we hike in the Adirondack High Peaks. And I would check periodically for revisions in or to it.

G.

Re: FYI . . .

Grumpy said:
Here are snippets of the NY "Part 190.13" Rules that pertain to dogs and leashes:

"Miscellaneous restrictions."

"3. In the High Peaks Wilderness Area, no person shall:"

"x. leave a pet unattended or fail to maintain complete control over the pet;"

"xi. fail to have, in their immediate possession, proof of a valid and current rabies inoculation for any dog which is accompanying them;"

"4. In the Eastern High Peaks Zone, no person shall fail to leash pets on trails, at primitive tent sites, at lean-to sites, at elevations above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates, provided that this provision shall not be applicable to hunting dogs which, with a licensed hunter, are actively hunting during appropriate hunting seasons at locations other than primitive tent sites, lean-to sites, at elevations above 4,000 feet, or at other areas where the public congregates."

Definitions that pertain:

"High Peaks Wilderness Area means those lands in the Towns of Keene, North Hudson, Newcomb and North Elba, Essex County; Harrietstown, Franklin County; and Long Lake, Hamilton County described in the most current copy of the "Adirondack Park Land Use and Development Plan Map and State Land Map" on file in the offices of the Adirondack Park Agency. The High Peaks Wilderness Area shall include the Adirondack Canoe Route Zone, the Western High Peaks Zone, and the Eastern High Peaks Zone."

"Eastern High Peaks Zone means that portion of the High Peaks Wilderness Area located to the east of the ridge line immediately west of the Indian Pass Trail."

G.

In the Eastern High Peaks Zone
basically, don't have you dog off a leash in this area

In the High Peaks Wilderness Area, no person shall:"
basically, you can have your dog off it's leash if you have control of him/her in the western zone....

also, anywhere in the park unless it's private land or the DIX/Hurricane ranges you CAN have your dog of it's leash

so thanks for bringing this up again....although this was a good question for people that are unsure

One more point

My Dad is a Chief Research Scientist with the NYS Health Department, and former Director of the NYS Rabies Lab. He could tell hundreds of stories where a family pet has been put to sleep to be tested for rabies with the family crying saying "he has never bitten ANYONE before". The heartache the family could have been saved if the pet had only been leashed. Oh, and the poor person who was the first to be bitten may have been saved some pain too.

Leashing is not only the law, it is a good idea.

Hope I got this right, but simply put, dogs must ALWAYS be leashed except:

1) When bushwhacking under 4K'
2) When climbing the trail-less peaks up to 4K' elevation
3) when n bed sleeping with us

So, let your dog go free when climbing Emmons, but before you reach that last 40' in elevation change, ya better leash Rover 'cause the man he gonna getcha.

I've been following this thread becouse my new "puppy" is 1 year and very "friendly" (she like to jump up on people). That is why I take her less traveled or during the week so not to get crowds on weekend. Today I was on goodnow at 10 am. no cars in parking lot so I was fine on way up. On way down I left her off leash. I figured I was safe today, and if I saw someone I would call her and hold her. Well I must have not been paying attention becouse she saw someone before I did And took off. She would not come when I called and knocked over a 65 year old lady. I was embarassed and I apolagized until I turned blue. NOt to mention I was wrong for not having this particular dog on a leash. Her reation knocked me over. Most people are very nice on the trail, but she let me have it and said there is a leash law! All I have seen in this thread is dogs must be on a leash in the eastern high peaks and above 4000 feet. It is hard to have a dog tied to you in the winter using poles. during the summer I had her on a leash. I know I was wrong, but was I breaking the law?

bailey's dad, the problem is the jumping dog. If he wasn't a jumper and just cruised right past the 65 year old (or anyone for that matter) you probably would have gotten a smile instead of a well deserved chewing out.

Training a dog is not easy, and they like to jump. You have to have the resolve to break them of this habit, and most people feel guilty at laying down the law with their dog, or just don't make it a priority. Having a German Shepherd I knew this was a priority and treated it as such. When he jumped he got the "deep thundering voice of Zeus" and he learned very quickly that I didn't approve. Dogs live to please their master, and by a stern "no, bad dog", and a very excited "good boy" system, he knew what pleased me and what didn't. By the age of 8 or 9 months he was jump-free and was as friendly a German Shepherd as I've seen. Dogs need to know who is master, in fact they live for it. A strong VERBAL system is what works. The only physical contact should be in the positive.

I love dogs but nothing infuriates me more than a jumper, followed by an apologizing owner who meekly says bad dog and let's go. That is the time to really express that what he has done is unacceptable and is the only way to break a dog of this habit.

Work on that jumping, your dog will thank you for it. As well as every one else ... and you'll be able to enjoy your hikes more.

Bailey's Dad,

You sound like a really concerned, well-intentioned person. A nice guy...But your dog knocks over a 65 year old hiker and you're surprised that they read you the riot act???

She was wrong to point out the leash law as it doesn't apply there but well within her rights to be upset over trail etiquette and safety.
Most of the issue of hiking with dogs is the courtesy to other human beings. Thats why many of us support rules calling for canines on leashes (and I own a dog) where dogs are liable to come into contact with other dogs or hikers.

I have seen or experienced years of dogs flying by on trails, often brushing into or knocking into me. A few of those times I've been in some interesting positions on boulders or steep trail sections.

I'd say cut the hiker a little slack and be happy the only outcome was harsh words, and not an injury.

PB