lens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
Tamron 70 - 200mm Fast AF Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon EOS ....camera buffs any thoughts on this lens????
kmac

The 70-200mm provides a very useful range of focal lengths, either in FX format (full frame 35mm – 24mm x 36mm) or DX format (reduced digital sensor size – approx 2/3 of a standard 35mm neg). In DX, the “effective” (full-frame equivalent) focal length is about 105-300mm.

I use mine all the time for sports action, theatrical performance photography, general news assignments, and even landscapes. It has nice "reach" but is hand-holdable in most circumstances.

The drawback with fast lenses (f/2.8) of this type is that they are fairly large and heavy. My Nikon 70-200mm, for example, is 87mm (about 3.5”) in diameter and 215mm (about 8.6”) long. Its lens shade adds another 3.25” to the length. The weight is about 50 ounces – just over 3 lbs.

Of course, specs will differ from one manufacturer to another. I don’t have data on the Tamron.

G.

I assume that you have already looked into them, but if you haven't the Canon 70-200 L series are proven performers:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=canon+70-200&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fproductlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

I haven't used the tamron, but I read about some focusing issues. But you need to take internet reviews with a grain of salt because you donot know how much experience the user has.

The one thing about the Tamron design is that it is made for "digital cameras". I dont know for sure, but that to me sounds like they made sure the center of the glass was good (smaller sensor) and cut costs by letting the full frame image quality fall away (not used by crop sensors). That is ok if you are always going to use a crop body. If you upgrade to a full frame sensor someday (or use a film camera) then you might have to upgrade your lens too.

What do you intend to use the lens for? Meaning what do you want to shoot? You need f2.8 to blur backgrounds for portraits or do you need speed due to low light (indoor sports) etc?

- darren

thanks everyone...
my husband found it on tech bargains, for a good price....i think i'll stick with darren's suggestion :)

kmac