Best place to take picture of train crossing over Frankenstein Trestle?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHIKER

Reaction score
Looking for some help!

This fall I'd like to get a photograph of the train as it crosses over Frankenstein Trestle in Crawford Notch as it goes north west. I have a long lens
(200-400 mm) that I could possible use from somewhere on the north side of the notch ans shoot across 302 but still do not know where to climb
to get a great picture. Other lenses are a 70 - 200mm and 24 - 70mm.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have walked the tracks from way down the notch to another trestle and taken an image from a rise on the north
side of the tracks but do not think that that location and trestle would be as spectacular as the Frankenstein trestle. Thanks in advance.

Gordon "Renaissance Man" Ripley

That's a tough one. You might need to experiment. The only cliff on the north east side looks to be quite a bit south and I don't know what lens would reach the trestle from there. Most pics I have seen have been from on or near the tracks. There is a photo in Maine Central in Color, Volume I of the trestle from across 302, but it looks like it was shot fairly low. There is another picture from the southwest side of the trestle (taken from atop the ice climbs on that side, i.e."Bob's Delight" et al.). I wonder if you can get a good shot from atop the "amphitheater" above the south west side -- this is where popular ice climbs such as Chia are located and is the cliff band you see behind the trestle when looking at the trestle from 302. You would get fall foliage from across 302. That being said, I have never seen a photo from that angle so there must be a reason.