Pemi Ski Loop in Less than 30 Hours :)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Initial Plan: Pemi Ski from Lincoln Woods to Thoreau Falls. Route TBD

Final Route: East Side Trail to Cedar Brook Trail to Thoreau Falls Trail to Ethan Pond Trail to Shoal Pond Trail back to Wilderness Trail and East Side Trail (the “pemi lollipop”).

Equipment: waxless XC BC skis, <70mm wide, 180-185cm long

Start time: 9:15am on 2/22/11. End time: 1:45pm, 2/23/11

Special Comment: Thanks Doug for joining on this adventure!!!!

Comments:

To paraphrase Doug, “It wouldn’t be and adventure if the outcome weren’t uncertain!” It was a beautiful, if slightly cold morning when we organized our equipment, Doug sampled the trail, and we set off. Doug was wondering if the waxless skis were a good choice and I suspect he wasn’t all that happy with them. But, I learned you can still wax them and I also learned a whole lot more about back-country XC. I found out Doug has a TON of knowledge and he was more than willing to answer ALL my questions. AWESOME!!!!

I was thinking before we started that the trip might take 20-24 hours. We had filled our tanks with gas and our glove boxes with nodoze for driving back from Lincoln Woods which we assumed would be pre-dawn. I wasn’t really surprised when we were done only about 25% over my longest estimate.

The skiing was fairly easy. I was VERY relieved that the trails seemed to be broken out well beyond the wilderness boundary on the East Side Trail. I kept hoping the trails would be broken out all the way up the Thoreau Falls Trail (TFT). When we got to the site of the former suspension bridge (R.I.P.), Doug needed to see the site, so, we skied down to it. It was still very sad to see that big pile of junk. I’ve accepted it like the falling of the old man of the mountain, but, Doug had not been there yet. We pushed on.

TFT had indeed been broken out!!! I looked to the right up the Shoal Pond Trail and could see some VERY faint tracks, so I assumed that was at least semi-broken out. Anyway, I was amazed how much snow had filled in since I had been on TFT for my last attempt two months ago. Some of the bad blowdowns were now easy ski-overs. We crossed the precarious tree bridge at the beginning of TFT by taking off our skis. Doug took some pictures of the Pemi Wilderness. Awesome views!!! We finally reached the point 2.1 miles up where I’d turned back twice. For some reason, it was now obvious that the trail went to the left. There must have been a huge trestle there at one time!!! A little further, we saw the old trail crossing. The little marker was still there. From there the trail seemed to run near the river and it was so cool to see the North Fork with ski marks down it.

After that, we had some trouble finding the trail in the flats, as the tracks we were following had wandered around. I finally spotted some blazes. When we started to head uphill (NOT the final climb), we put on the skins. The switchbacks were a bit tricky to follow and we were on and off the trail quite a bit. Every so often we’d see a faint light blue blaze. That was always reassuring. We kept thinking/hoping maybe we were on the final climb to Thoreau Falls. NOT! We kept pushing on.

We noted that we were still heading in even as the sun was setting. It was pretty cool to just go with the flow and follow the woods through a day/night/day cycle. And be moving the entire time!!! We put on our headlamps – we had enough headlamps and batteries for an army, I think (just kidding!) . Then we started our final climb. We wondered aloud if maybe we were at the final climb to the falls. It seemed pretty steep, and our skins worked pretty well. We had to use a lot of the shrubs trailside to pull ourselves up the final leg of the climb and we were greeted at the top of the knoll by a monstrous blowdown. Just beyond, our headlamps lit up the “no camping within ¼ mile of Thoreau Falls” sign and I was ecstatic. We had made it!!! Not quite. Where were the falls? We could hear some water but there was no sign of the trail. We saw faint snowshoe and ski tracks heading in multiple directions that didn’t seem to head anywhere. I found a dead tree with a few dozen rusted nails in it. We circled. We pulled out the map, pulled out our compasses, set bearings, switched bearings. It didn’t seem right to go downhill. It was time to taint our trip by using the GPS. We still had some trouble trailfinding but, eventually Doug said that we were dead on the trail. Descending, there was what looked like a huge white pond below. That was no pond – it was the top of the falls! White white white under our headlamps. It was AWESOME! I was psyched. We took of our skis to get down to the crossing, then we put the skis back on and crossed.

At some point we discussed possibly exiting via Ethan Pond to 302 or Zealand Hut. The idea of hitchhiking in the wee hours did not excite me. We agreed we did NOT want to descend via TFT because it was so steep and difficult to follow on the switchbacks. We were picturing a nice kick-and-glide out via Shoal Pond Trail (SPT) instead. I had been on SPT years ago and could picture a nice wide corridor. Or not!!! That shouldn’t take much energy! We were feeling a little tired.

By now, my mind was replaying only a limited selection of music in a random, semi-hideous loop: R.E.M.’s “Nightswimming”, “Day Sleeper”, “Bad Day”, Saturday Night Fever’s “Night on Disco Mountain” and Pearl Jam’s “Alive”. We were starting to run low on water so I didn’t want to sing along!!!

We had a little trouble finding the junction with Ethan Pond Trail, but, when we did, it was dinner break (around 8:30pm) time and time to take off the skins. We reapplied wax (thanks for teaching me, Doug!!!). We had already been taking hourly breaks. I was enjoying working my way through a full package of Oreo Double Stuffs, Chex Mix, and vanilla cream wafers. We then pushed off toward SPT.

It was an easy glide at first. The first 50 yards. The snow was not very deep on the crust, so, trailbreaking was easy. From then on, we alternated among dense shrubs, moose postholes, and trail confusion. Doug had the trail tracks loaded on his GPS and when the corridor wasn’t obvious, he pulled out the GPS.

Several times we turned our headlamps off to view the star-punctured sky. Orion’s Belt became a constant companion!!! The moon finally rose orange-yellow on our left around midnight. From then on, the moon was 30-degrees to our left the length of SPT. We sometimes lost the trail, but, the moose tracks seemed to always be on-trail. Which made trailfinding easier but punched up the trail so any possible hope of easy skiing was dashed. Maybe there should be a bigger moose hunting lottery? Just kidding!!!

Stream crossings were challenging. We found the way down to the streams easily enough, but, could seldom find a route back onto the trail on the opposite sides. Most of the streams were well below the level of the trail so trying to get down the banks safely with skis on was an issue. Take the skis off and we’d sink up to our thighs. The last stream crossing we were in some kind of spruce swamp. We routed around our usual 15-30 minutes per stream crossing. We got quite off-course before Stillwater Junction and struggled in blowdown with our skis. I honestly thought that maybe someone would find our bodies there!!!! But, we worked around the spruce and hit the corridor. Good job Doug!!!! I looked up and saw what I thought were signs. They were the signs at Stillwater Junction!!! Fabulous!!!

Wilderness Trail out was a little better, but, not great. We found ourselves on a bluff with no exit. We skied up and downhill, trying to avoid the edge when, after 5-6 back-and-forths, we found a corridor off the bluff. I didn’t remember that AT ALL from years ago. Then the sky started to brighten. The sun was finally rising!!! Headlamps off!

We were just about out of water. As we had little water, it froze that much easier. We decided to polish off what we had. I said we’d drink from the streamlets. Nothing was open. My mouth kept watering for the pemi!!! We were both so thirsty. We pushed on. I found a streamlet that was open but too shallow. I lay down on the snow to dip our bottles. Unfortunately, I stirred the silt and dirt up in the puddle. We wolfed it down despite the earthy flavor. When we got to Cedar Brook, we refilled with fresh water. Filters? BAH!!! It tasted great!!! We could eat again! Welcome to breakfast Oreos!! I should mention that Doug ate much heathier fare – mostly dried figs and sandwiches.

The rest was a blur. We just kept going. 1:45pm on 2/23 I popped the top off the 2-liter Diet Coke waiting for me in the car. It was AWESOME!!! I’m thinking of a loop to 13-falls up and around Owl’s Head next year. Think about it. ☺

Pictures might follow!!!!

Last edited:
Excellent TR and quite an adventure! Pictures would be cool. How long was the trip, mileage-wise?
I have some pics which I will post a bit later.

25.4 mi by the WMG, 27.3 by my GPS (which recorded all but 20 minutes of the trip--the batteries died and it took me a while to discover it and replace them). 2460 vertical ft by the WMG, I forgot to record the GPS value.

Doug

Last edited:
Wowser. What phase was the moon? Just thinking that it was full not too long ago, and how amazing would that be for a night of skiing!?
About quarter. We were under heavy enough tree cover most of the time so it was of little help for the skiing. It was mainly useful for keeping oriented--most of the time it was a bit off to the left or our heading.

I also found it a bit distracting when it would randomly flash "on and off" in my side vision.

I've night skied by the moon in local conservation land. It's great fun but gets a bit dicey under heavy tree cover. But I was also skiing with a guy who skied part of the trail with his eyes closed... (He knows the trails very well.)

Doug

Whoa! This is awesome, guys! What a kick butt accomplishment!

29 hrs of skiing, through the night...that must have been quite the experience I would assume. Nice choice of music running through your head too!

Looking forward to the pics! Again, great job!

Karl

Great pics! I like the snow sculptures...kind of like snow cairns:D

The GPS plot output is awesome...so impressive!

Karl

Becca and Doug,
What an adventure! When I started reading, I figured you'd spent the night at the hut. So wonderful that you didn't have to spend hours climbing over obstacles. The Pemi was indeed kind (to a point!).

Now that is quite a remarkable adventure in every sense of the word!
Are there any unofficial (or official) records kept for this type of achievement?

Becca and Doug,
What an adventure! When I started reading, I figured you'd spent the night at the hut.
We didn't need no steenking hut! :)
(That is just a joke folks...)

We were very aware that if we had to turn back after reaching the Ethan Pond Trail our shortest escapes were to the hut or Rte 302 and hitchhike. After the difficulties of ascending the Thoreau Falls Trail, the standing joke was that we could always turn back and exit via it. Continuing ahead always appeared to be easier, based upon my recollections from my 2003 lollipop. Little did we know...

Since I got back I finally got to read the section on the Pemi traverse in Goodman's new ski guide (I had just bought it 2 days before the trip and hadn't had a chance to read any of the trip descriptions...)--he has some pretty strong warnings about the state of the trails in the Pemi. Much stronger than those in the 28ed of the WMG. The TFT and SPT, IMO, are effectively abandoned.

So wonderful that you didn't have to spend hours climbing over obstacles. The Pemi was indeed kind (to a point!).
But we did spend hours climbing over, under, around, and through the obstacles. My time in 2003 was 17.5 hrs--a good part of the increase this time was due to navigational and travel difficulties*. Having to use the East Side Tr also increased the time. (I was also in better shape in 2003 and was pretty tired and slow on the final part of the exit which slowed us down this time. Becca brought the youth and vigor, I brought the old age and trickery...)

* I should note that most of the way was relatively clear, but there were spots that definitely got our attention...

The big risk was that we would hit an uncrossable stream and have a long backtrack. (Or worse yet that one of us would fall in.)

Doug

Last edited:
he has some pretty strong warnings about the state of the trails in the Pemi. Much stronger than those in the 28ed of the WMG. The TFT and SPT, IMO, are effectively abandoned.
I hiked the TFT NB in twilight a few years back and agree that it was hard to find, sorting out the original route from the official mud bypass from the herd path - fortunately after hitting EPT in the dark I had an easy walk out to Zealand Rd. And I consider it legitimate to say it's harder to find in winter (Goodman) than in summer (AMC) - what does Goodman say about skiing the North Fork instead?

Abandoned - no! That is just normal Wilderness trail standards which supposedly you folks all want!

My first thought was that 1 mph on skis wasn't that fast and I could do it quicker following your tracks on snowshoes. Fortunately it snowed again so I don't have to prove it, I'm not sure I could go 15 hours straight much less 28.5. Are you sure you folks didn't really go to Argentina :)

I hiked the TFT NB in twilight a few years back and agree that it was hard to find, sorting out the original route from the official mud bypass from the herd path - fortunately after hitting EPT in the dark I had an easy walk out to Zealand Rd. And I consider it legitimate to say it's harder to find in winter (Goodman) than in summer (AMC) - what does Goodman say about skiing the North Fork instead?
Goodman mentions that the falls are skiable in good snow conditions but that getting back to the trail can be difficult. He doesn't mention skiing the North Fork in the text, but shows it in an illustration. The southern part of the TFT is pretty easy, but the northern part is significantly harder to follow as well as ski. Heading NB, we only had meaningful difficulties finding the final climb (we followed tracks that started up too early and traversed into the proper route--headlamps went on during this section, no GPS) and finding the stream crossing at the top of the climb where we eventually used the GPS after non-instrumented and M&C searches failed.

Abandoned - no! That is just normal Wilderness trail standards which supposedly you folks all want!
I understand that the SPT is not officially abandoned--however what we found on the ground was pretty much equivalent to its having been abandoned. Goodman advises against its use for traverses ("it adds two miles to the tour and can be extremely difficult to follow in winter").

I haven't hiked/skied in Wilderness areas since sometime before my breaking my leg (4 yrs ago). The difference was striking. I had been doing much of my planning based upon my earlier trip...

My first thought was that 1 mph on skis wasn't that fast and I could do it quicker following your tracks on snowshoes. Fortunately it snowed again so I don't have to prove it, I'm not sure I could go 15 hours straight much less 28.5. Are you sure you folks didn't really go to Argentina :)
We would have done it a lot quicker if we could have followed our tracks too... :)

I did the lollipop in 17.5 hrs back in 2003:
* I was in better shape back then (I may be in my best shape since my broken leg, but I still don't think I am fully recovered). I slowed down significantly on the later part of the trip--Becca alone might have shaved several hours off my time. (I told her beforehand that my endurance is good as long as I am not rushed--so the pace was kept within my limits.) I had guessed our time would be in the neighborhood of 20 hrs...
* I had only a small amount of navigation delay (likely less than 15? min) in 2003, we had at least several hours of delay this time.
* I used Lincoln Woods Tr last time, we used East Side Tr this time--LWT was easier and faster.
* Snow conditions between the site of the removed bridge and the parking lot were better in 2003. Snow conditions were probably similar enough elsewhere. I also used waxless skis (waxed for much of the way) this time--waxable last time. Waxables are faster and more efficient in good snow conditions.

The GPS trip computer claims that we were moving for 17.5 hrs at an average speed of 1.6mph. The GPS also claims a maximum speed of 17.8 mph if that helps... :) (If accurate, this would have occurred on a schuss going down a slope on the East Side Tr.)

It is possible that we visited Argentina en route, but is more likely that we only visited Canada. Aren't they in the same direction? :)

I'm in the process of writing up my version of the tale and am considering including a section on the navigational difficulties. (Brief summary: without the GPS and GIS tracks, Becca and I agreed that we most likely would have had to turn back.)

Doug

Great report Becca, and amazing accomplishment both of you. Incredible endurance.

Petch

Ya all did good. Congratulations! Great trip report! :cool::cool::cool: