Lightweight Wool Vs. Silkweight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Hey all,
Curious as to people’s opinions on lightweight summer layers. For the past couple of years I have used REI Tech tees and Pataguch lightweights as my primary layers from spring through fall. This past winter I fully converted to wool with its superior comfort and smell properties which makes me wonder about its uses for warmer weather. I have never used Silk weight, but I was wondering what people impressions of it are. Just the name “Silk Weight” sounds nice and cozy, but how is it when waking up on a cool summer morn at 4am all the way to chugging down the trail when it is 95 degree’s out with 80% humidity.

EMS or Pata’s Silkweight
Vs.
Smartwool Microlight, Ibex Woolies and Icebreaker lightweights​

Thanks for the help…..

Jkrew81 said:
Hey all,
Just the name “Silk Weight” sounds nice and cozy, but how is it when waking up on a cool summer morn at 4am all the way to chugging down the trail when it is 95 degree’s out with 80% humidity.

I have really liked the long silkweight Patagonia tops and bottoms when getting going a cool morn. There's a lot of comfort in a light package. I've been using lightweight wool more and more in the winter. It is amazingly better at drying out after I've pushed too hard and didn't manage my layers to prevent sweating. I'm not sure if anything is going to be really comfy chuggin' down the trail on a hot, humid summer day. Then I just wear as little as possible and keep a small camp towel handy.

Jkrew81 said:
This past winter I fully converted to wool with its superior comfort and smell properties which makes me wonder about its uses for warmer weather.

I use wool baselayers all year round. I'd recommend a Smartwool lightweight T-shirt when it's warm, a Smartwool Versaweight long-sleeved shirt when it's a bit cooler or both. Their microweight boxers are also nice. Check The Sock Company for good prices.