Lincoln, Finishing What We Started Two Years Ago, 10/22/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 22, 2011: Lincoln

Trails: Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail

Summits: Lincoln

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), and me

A couple years ago Sue and I were on a traverse of The Twins through Lincoln. As we approached North Lafayette the weather started to turn, fast. By the time we reached the summit of Lafayette the conditions were bad and sure to get much worse. We decided the best approach was to head down Greenleaf Trail from Lafayette and return another time for Lincoln. This is another time.

Even though the forecast predicted a probability of precipitation of less than 20% for the day, we left the trailhead lot with rain and sleet falling. I think we were both hopeful the conditions would improve as we hiked. As is the case everywhere, we started out noticing the great amount of erosion that is probably the result of TS Irene. The good news is after the OBP – FWT split, erosion controls on the trail seemed to limit the trail damage. The trail was much better from that point onward.

Overall, the trail is in good shape. The bridges survived and the non-bridged crossings were no problem at all. The trail was also clear of blowdowns. It didn’t take long before we were enjoying the sights of FWT – the falls. There was enough water flowing to make for nice viewing but the various stream crossings were not difficult. This year’s crop of foliage was mostly on the ground, wet, and making for slippery conditions. A little extra care was needed as we made our way through the various rocky sections along the falls. Eventually, we were making the final crossing above Cloudland Falls and headed into the switchbacks.

The climb to the ridge had no surprises. Soon after leaving the stream we found ourselves climbing into the clouds. Then, the first of several others went past. Everybody seemed to be prepared for mild conditions but the forecast for the day in the vicinity of ~5000 feet predicted a temperature in the 30’s and wind from the west at ~25 mph. I wouldn’t view this as shorts weather, but there were quite a few dressed that way. We made it past the spur to Shining Rock as the rain and sleet increased in intensity. Sue had removed her rain jacket a little earlier but now it was time to get it back out. The remaining climb to Little Haystack and the Franconia Ridge Trail (FRT) is short and steep.

As we climbed the trees eventually started to show accumulated ice. I believe the ice started around 4500 feet. Once we hit the summit of Little Haystack the conditions were unpleasant. A short distance below the summit one of the other hikers that had passed us on the climb was headed back down commenting “it’s winter up there – I’ve had enough”. Before leaving the scrub I added a layer, and pulled out a warmer hat.

From Little Haystack the visibility was very limited. Usually we could only see twenty to thirty yards ahead. That was enough to safely hike the ridge but the terrific views we expected to enjoy weren’t available. We made our way along the ridge toward Lincoln and were being hit with snow, ice, and wind as we hiked. In the area known as The Gargoyles it was snowman time. Sue decided to make her first of the season. There was enough on the ground to scrape up snowman body parts. During the short break a number of others passed through headed north on FRT.

With the snowman break out of the way we finished the walk to Lincoln. There was enough ice on the trail to make the final climb a bit of a test. There really wasn’t enough to pull out the MicroSpikes (we both had them in our packs), but there was enough to make for slippery conditions that required extra care. Soon we were on the summit, getting the usual pictures, and making the u-turn for the hike back out.

The only surprise we found on the exit hike was the number of people and dogs headed for the ridge. I don’t know the authorized occupancy limit for Franconia Ridge but it may have been exceeded. It seemed like there was a steady line all of the way back to the area below the falls. For a while we were stepping to the side of the trail allowing others to pass but eventually we just kept moving – the descent was taking way too long.

Below Cloudland Falls there is a section of ledge that is always a slippery place. Sue stayed left and then crossed the slab at the bottom, sailing through without a problem. Seeing this I charged ahead on the same route. Evidently, I wasn’t paying close enough attention and managed to find a slick spot that took me out. I went down landing hard on my right hip and shoulder, twisting my back in the process. Initially I moved to catch myself with my right arm. I was able to realize that would have been bad because of an unreliable shoulder. I pulled my arm back and just took the fall. Hopefully I’ll be able to move normally and pain-free in a couple days; for now, it’s difficult.

We finished the hike under a light rain. Back at the trailhead a glance back in the direction of the ridge showed only clouds. The cloud layer was hanging around 2700 feet (based on the level of the ridge approaching Lonesome Lake). It was a gray day for sure.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

one of the first signs of winter

Winter is my favorite season, very exciting to see Sue's first snowman/snowperson!!! :)

Sunday was supposed to be the better of the two days, yet the conditions on Jefferson were the same that you encountered on the ridge. We did, however, put on the Micro's coming down from the summit to the Cornice junction, then bare booted the rest of the way.

Winter is my favorite season, very exciting to see Sue's first snowman/snowperson!!! :)
Yeah, I kinda prefer Winter as well. No mosquitoes, and the trails are much smoother (after a few feet of snow).

After we left the snowman we had a relatively short walk to the summit of Lincoln. By the time we returned we found the snowman gone. A few others had passed by in that time. Evidently, some tough guy that enjoys picking on those much smaller than himself wiped him out. All that was left was one arm. He never had a chance.

Either that or one of the others could have been attacked by an overly aggressive snowman with an attitude at some point in their life. Now, he/she goes a little crazy at the sight of a snowman.

I guess aliens could have taken him. But why leave the arm?

I really enjoy a good mystery.

;)

Sunday was supposed to be the better of the two days, yet the conditions on Jefferson were the same that you encountered on the ridge. We did, however, put on the Micro's coming down from the summit to the Cornice junction, then bare booted the rest of the way.

Not surprised. Lincoln and Jefferson are both over 5000 feet in elevation. On Saturday, we started hitting the ice at ~4500 feet.

:cool:

Very nice Earl, I was on Owls Head Saturday, so I waved to you, kind of. :) We had a flip to snow for a few minutes, big slush explosions flying down...fun times had by all.

Thanks for sharing!