Lodging for the Awards Dinner

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all

Heading to Strathum, NH on April 9th for the AWARDS DINNER!! Looking for lodging in the area. Went online...but, don't need anything fancy, just clean, a fridge, cable (we don't have this at home...it's fun to get when we DO go out), and maybe a microwave.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stay in Portsmouth! Make an entire weekend of it. Portsmouth is a very cool place, with an excellent brew pub, gobs of things to see and do, and is fun even just to walk around during the day. It's only a 20-minute drive from downtown to the dinner, via highway (95 and 101) or scenic back roads.

There are plenty of lodging options to choose from in Portsmouth, but I recommend being downtown or in a position to easily walk downtown.

Cool...that was the plan...drop off the kidos at mom's on Fri after work...drive (3 hrs I think) to our destination...and not come home till Sunday night!

Any suggestions on hotels? Or just the typical Holiday Inn, Super 8 type thing?

Unfortunately, no, I've touristed in town several times but never stayed over. The list at http://www.portsmouthnh.com/lodging/index.cfm mentions several right in downtown. The Ale House Inn sounds very cool, as does the Inn at Strawberry Bank, there's also a Hilton and a Sheraton. I would aim for whomever considers the weekend of the dinner to still be off-season with respect to room rates. :)

I agree with Michael J about Portsmouth. Even with cable, don't plan to spend too much time in your room. Get out and walk about this charming old city. I recommend Friendly Toast for a funky breakfast. Walk around (or even pay for a tour of) historic Strawberry Bank just a short distance from the center of Portsmouth for the feeling of old New England with its narrow streets. The Ordione Point area has some nice walks. With only 17 miles of coastline, New Hampshire makes the most out of its beautiful shore. Would be nice if there is a storm so you could watch the waves crashing against the rocks!