Long Island Sound Crossing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
I hope to cross Long Island Sound before the Summer is out. Will probobly leave from the mouth of the Nissequogue and proceed north. It seems to be about a 15, 16 mile trip. I'll likely borrow a WS 17' Tempest from work.

Anyone here ever cross the Sound? How long did it take? Any recomendations on a CT landing site? Not sure what's exactly north from the Nissy but would change plans in order to find a cool spot to land in CT.

Thanks!

Check out the Connyak's launch site directory, off the top of my head there are public launch sites in Norwalk (Norwalk Harbor), westport (Saugatuck river), Mystic, new London, etc. etc. You could pick the one that makes the most sense from where you're starting.

I have heard of trips from CT, to Orient Pt, Long Island, to Block Island in RI, some serious water there...

Jay

I've never considered doing it in a kayak, but IIRC there are some fairly strong tidal currents in the sound. If you haven't already, it might be worth checking out.

Doug

Cool... From looking where you're starting, some good spots to land would probably be Norwalk's Calf Pasture beach near the Norwalk Islands - nice spot and the islands are great to paddle around and check out. Another good one would be Sherwood Island park in Westport.
Again... nice places to land, but it's hard to tell what you're paddling towards out there. I think at least at Norwalk harbor (behind the islands) there is some big stack of sorts that you can aim for, and the Westernmost island (Sheffield) does have a lighthouse on top of a hill - so those are some good reference points for Norwalk.

I've crossed the sound a few times from Stamford's Cove Island park, landing on Caumsett State Park (there is a big sand wall at this park that is visible from Stamford - so it's easy to find/aim for).
With my Perception Carolina 14.5 it has taken around 2-2.5 hours one way. I've yet to do it in my big boat.

Hey, Thanks!

Block Island and Orient Point are definately not on the itinerary - you're right - serious stuff out there - or at least more than I can handle at this point.

DP - I'll look into the current situation - thanks!

cbcbd - I'll have to check out some of those spots you're talking about. Actually, since I'm more familiar with Long Island it might be wise to start in CT and head south and look for those exposed moraines along the north shore like you describe in Caumsette. Those exposeures run a good length of the north shore. It's comforting to know that you did it in a Carolina 14.5 in such short time. I expected a longer trip. With the Tempest, I hope then to make good time.

Would love to hear more if anyone has the time.

You might want to shoot Warren an email, he's paddled out in LI before too, might have some good insight anyway. He's not on the boards that much but he is a member. Warren is his VFTT handle as well as his name.

I'd just carry a bunch of NOAA charts on whereever you're going so when you get there you can somewhat identify it. Like CBCBD says, the islands in front of Norwalk Harbor (Grassy, Sheffield, Shea) should be good landmarks as well as Cockinoe island south of Westport.

Jay

IndianChris said:
cbcbd - I'll have to check out some of those spots you're talking about. Actually, since I'm more familiar with Long Island it might be wise to start in CT and head south and look for those exposed moraines along the north shore like you describe in Caumsette. Those exposeures run a good length of the north shore. It's comforting to know that you did it in a Carolina 14.5 in such short time. I expected a longer trip. With the Tempest, I hope then to make good time.

Would love to hear more if anyone has the time.
I wouldn't worry about finding something concrete on the CT side. As long as you can find something in the distance to aim for then you should be fine - and then keep looking back to get a reference for the way back. With a map or chart you can find these landmarks, take their bearings and then find them on the horizon so you know what you're looking at.
The only time I had problems navigating to/from LI was starting out on a stormy/cloudy night - there are no lights AT ALL at Caumsett or near it. I couldn't see the outline of the land and could not find where the beach was. Anyway, just saying that if you're planning on possibly paddling during the night make sure to know that there are some lights you can reference to. Most of my crossings I did at night or finished at night - now I know the "light pattern" or the city of Stamford so I can navigate back pretty well.

Also, one of the crossings I did it with my friend, who was paddling a WS Pungo 120! On the way there we were going against the waves and it took around 2h 30min to get there. Don't remember how long for the way back...

Don't forget a camera :)

SherpaKroto said:
Might be overkill, but better to have it over you than killed. Radar Reflector Flag
Sounds like an exciting trip! Good Luck!

As someone who has worked with some radar cross section measurements, that flag seems really hokey. Especially for $100. You can get a $5 bike flag or a dive flag and glue aluminum foil on it and do the same thing. Derek Hutchinson (uber ocean kayaker) used to wrap aluminum foil around his head when he would cross the English Channel. Will it increase your radar cross section? Yes. Will it increase it enough to make you visible on a ship's radar? Doubtful.

- darren

darren said:
As someone who has worked with some radar cross section measurements, that flag seems really hokey. Especially for $100. You can get a $5 bike flag or a dive flag and glue aluminum foil on it and do the same thing.
Agreed. I'll bet that you can do FAR better with a corner reflector tied down on the deck. Higher would be better, but most kayaks don't have much superstructure... :( (I've used a corner reflector on a sailboat--there are models that are small enough to tie onto a kayak deck.)

Derek Hutchinson (uber ocean kayaker) used to wrap aluminum foil around his head when he would cross the English Channel. Will it increase your radar cross section? Yes. Will it increase it enough to make you visible on a ship's radar? Doubtful.
Maybe not, but at least it protected him from mind reading aliens... :)

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Maybe not, but at least it protected him from mind reading aliens... :)

Doug

Or the government...but then they got the mind reading technology from the aliens, so same difference.

Seriously, height is the most important factor for Radar Cross Section (RCS) over water. You are just SOL in a kayak. Putting a corner reflector on the deck will really not do much at all. If there is any sea state running it will just get lost in the clutter. Rigging a flying bridge for the corner reflector could really cut down your chances for a smooth eskimo roll though. :eek:

- darren

darren said:
Seriously, height is the most important factor for Radar Cross Section (RCS) over water. You are just SOL in a kayak. Putting a corner reflector on the deck will really not do much at all. If there is any sea state running it will just get lost in the clutter. Rigging a flying bridge for the corner reflector could really cut down your chances for a smooth eskimo roll though. :eek:
It would also do nasty things in the wind. Just finished reading "Southern Exposure" by Chris Duff. (The tale of a circumnavigation of the South Island of NZ in a kayak.) He writes about nearly being blown over by the windage on the upper paddle blade in 40-50kt winds and 8-10ft seas.

The corner reflecter on the deck might be useful in calm seas and as your boat passes over the tops of waves. Hopefully, its strong reflection would stand out from the clutter when it is visible to the radar. (Similar to a reflector on a buoy.) My guess is that it is the only practical way to carry one on a kayak and, while not ideal, might be better than nothing or a tinfoil hat.

Might be interesting for a kayaker and radar-equipped boater to make some measurments.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Might be interesting for a kayaker and radar-equipped boater to make some measurments.

Doug

Actually, If you read Derek Hutchinson's "Sea Kayaking", they have and it doesn't. :(

Oh, but Indian Chris, I'm sure you will be fine! :D

- darren

darren said:
Actually, If you read Derek Hutchinson's "Sea Kayaking", they have and it doesn't. :(
Oh well, it seemed like a nice idea...

I suppose one could wear a corner-reflecter hat. It would lift the reflecter up a few feet, increase one's windage, and protect against the aliens all at the same time. :)

Doug

Thanks for all the helpful info!!!
I like the idea of a bike flag and will try to rig something up.

cbcbd - did you say pungo? In 2.5 hours? C'mon, be realistic. You're chokin' my chicken, right?

I'm going to start another thread on a particular kayak model. Please feel free to chine in (no punn inteaded) :D

IndianChris said:
cbcbd - did you say pungo? In 2.5 hours? C'mon, be realistic. You're chokin' my chicken, right?
Yep, Pungo 120 with a sprayskirt...
Ok, ok, maybe he got there in 2h45min - I got there in 2h30min - during the last stretch I pulled away very fast from him because... well I reeeally needed to get to the shore fast and use the facilities :D

But yeah, not more than 2h45min going against the waves and having a blast plowing through/over them!

But cbcbd's crossing was like 5 or 6 miles and your crossing is much longer. That is why he did it in only 2.5 hours. Until I looked at a map I had the same "huh? there is no way he could paddle a pungo that fast" reaction.

- darren

darren said:
But cbcbd's crossing was like 5 or 6 miles and your crossing is much longer. That is why he did it in only 2.5 hours. Until I looked at a map I had the same "huh? there is no way he could paddle a pungo that fast" reaction.

- darren
Yep, that's right. Like I stated... we left from Cove Island in Stamford and went to Caumsett park in LI - if you find those in a map you can compare routes and such.

Using the Gmaps pedometer it's 6.8mi straight line from Stamford Cove to the point of Caumsett.
14.8mi from the Nissequogue to Calf Pasture beach in Norwalk,CT (behind the Norwalk Islands).

The first time I crossed... in choppy water, but not much wind... I did the 6.8mi in 2 hours.

You can probably count on 4-6 hours one way depending on conditions.

Last edited:
Ahh. Thinking that Caumsette is not THAT far west of the Nissy, I didn't think there would be that much of a difference. Glad you pointed that out. My time will be probobly a little longer than. :D

Thanks again.

When it all happens, I'll be sure to post the info/pictures. Shooting for late August/early September (providing good weather of course).

Oh, BTW......if anyone is interested in the joining us for the voyage, please send me an e-mail - [email protected]

Last edited: