Long Trail info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soco7tyx7

Reaction score
I'm planning to do the LT at the end of August. I need info...what's the weather like towards the end of september? are there well used re-supply points? How used is the trail at this time of year? How frequent are lean-to's or shelters? Water sources? if you have info, let me know! thanks

-Jon

From August 22 until August 31 the entire trail will be overrun with college groups, and September 5-10 the southern end will be crowded with a few more college groups. It's freshmen orientation season!

You'll also run into giant crowds on Mansfield and Camel's Hump on Columbus Day weekend, if you plan on being out that long.

Those things won't ruin your trip, but you might want to be aware of them, anyway.

I'll second the recommendation for the End-to-Ender's guide, which is well supplemented by the map that the Green Mountain Club makes. Frequency of shelters, water, resupply options... best to have the information handy.

I've got only the few days north of Johnson left to go and I've done all my hiking earlier in the summer. Here are a couple of good websites to check out:

Long Trail Hiking

Green Mountain Club

Expect mud. Do not expect bog bridges over the mud.

There are several sections that have a reputation for being dry but having done most of my LT hiking during rainy summers I haven't had any issue with getting enough water. Unless we have a drought for the rest of this summer you'll likely be fine. I'm having a hard time imagining a dry Long Trail but apparently it can happen.

Most of the shelters are in very good condition and recent pictures for most can be found on Whiteblaze and on Long Trail Hiking.

North of Maine Junction you'll have a lot less company in general but you'll likely see a lot of day hikers and weekenders along the higher ridges. Hiking in late June and early July I've not often had to share a shelter but I think usage is higher in August. Some of the shelters charge a fee ($5) and they are noted on GMC's website as well as in many of the shelters along the Trail.

As Hillwalker mentioned, the terrain in the northern half is very different from the easy, rolling terrain in the south. That said, I didn't really find it to be any crazier than climbing in the Pressies or the Mahoosucs with one exception. I find Vermont bedrock to be a lot slicker, especially when wet, which I've almost always found it to be. That is what has been most challenging in the north for me.
-vegematic

Lots of brush

I've got only the few days north of Johnson left to go and I've done all my hiking earlier in the summer. Here are a couple of good websites to check out:

Long Trail Hiking

Green Mountain Club

Expect mud. Do not expect bog bridges over the mud.

There are several sections that have a reputation for being dry but having done most of my LT hiking during rainy summers I haven't had any issue with getting enough water. Unless we have a drought for the rest of this summer you'll likely be fine. I'm having a hard time imagining a dry Long Trail but apparently it can happen.

Most of the shelters are in very good condition and recent pictures for most can be found on Whiteblaze and on Long Trail Hiking.

North of Maine Junction you'll have a lot less company in general but you'll likely see a lot of day hikers and weekenders along the higher ridges. Hiking in late June and early July I've not often had to share a shelter but I think usage is higher in August. Some of the shelters charge a fee ($5) and they are noted on GMC's website as well as in many of the shelters along the Trail.

As Hillwalker mentioned, the terrain in the northern half is very different from the easy, rolling terrain in the south. That said, I didn't really find it to be any crazier than climbing in the Pressies or the Mahoosucs with one exception. I find Vermont bedrock to be a lot slicker, especially when wet, which I've almost always found it to be. That is what has been most challenging in the north for me.
-vegematic

How could I have neglected to mention that the northern parts are very grown in to the point that you were unable to see where your feet were going. Hiking in the mornings I was generally soaked from the waist down from pushing through the wet bracken and brush.

HW

Bwwaaahaha...

In addition to the great advice you just got here, it would be a good idea to check out a trailjournal or two from previous years that cover the same time span of your hike.

From my experience last year, (I finished 8/3), north of Rutland, you may be fortunate enough to have shelters to yourself. If you are traveling solo, you will probably not need a tent at all. I carried a small tent (Big Agnes Sarvis) and only used it twice, mostly just for the fun of it.

Whatever you do, don't underestimate that the trail is a lot rougher and less maintained than the trails in the Whites.

You will get lost, you will get wet, you will get muddy... and probably bruised and bloody too!

Will it be worth it? Naaah, not really... just stay in the Whites!:D

thanks to all for the wealth of information so far. i just purchased the end to enders guide and am expecting it in the mail soon. i've never even been to Vermont. all of my hiking has taken place in the ADK's. i have however, done the Northville-Placid trail (120 mi) so i have some experience thru-hiking. i havent really checked the sites yet, but what are the temps typically like in mid to late september? i'm trying to decide if i should get a 20 degree bag or stick with my 30 degree, and if i should bring a down (or down-esk type) jacket of some sort. from what little i do know, the trail is in the mountains a lot so i would expect to be wearing some pretty solid, rugged, high-top boots? sorry to appear so green, but i'm too excited to wait to read the guide book to answer these questions! thanks again!

-Jon

I did the NPT a few years back and loved it. The NPT was wetter, flatter and - much to my surprise - had portions of trail which were much less well maintained than the Long Trail. The NPT had massive and rapidly spreading beaver activity and stretches where it seemed trail maintainers had moved blowdowns onto the trail. I remember a couple times where it took me a while to find the trail again after I was diverted by blowdowns. There is less competition for the shelters on the LT. Mileage cam much easier on the NPT. My LT journals and my NPT journal are at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6193

Boots are a matter of choice. If your ankles are OK and your pack isn't ultra heavy, I'd suggest wearing what you feel most comfortable hiking in - whatever that is. I did my northbound E2E in trail runners. I was just more conscious of how I walked than I would be in super sturdy boots.

As for temps, I haven't been on the LT in September - you might check out September journals at trailjournals.com. I did have a very chilly August night. I think you could do OK with a 30 degree bag if you have a liner and some warm dry clothes - including a hat ready to add on if needed. A 20 degree bag with a full zipper might be ideal. I'd want the full zipper so I could use it as a quilt on warmer evenings. If you go northbound, it could get pretty chilly towards the end.