Looking for Koflach Degre owners!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaptainJim said:
Are the plastic boots kinda stiff for long distance hikes? I mean what do you do if you have to hike 10 - 12 miles but also want a stiff boot for kicking in steps or stiffening up cranpons. I'd like something a little stiffer but am afraid plastics won't be good for long distance.... any comments anyone???

I think there will be individual differences in this - i.e. your mileage may vary.

However, on my feet the Degres have been pretty good for longer hikes. The very first time I put them on outdoors, I did a 10 mile hike over 3 4Ks, no problem. I have since walked in them up to 16 to 18 miles a few times. For me, my feet will be a little sore after 18 miles whatever I am wearing, and the Degres are really no better and no worse for comfort than anything else (or in other seasons). No blisters, but I just don't seem to get them anyway.

Thanks for all the e-pinions...

Tramper Al said:
For me, my feet will be a little sore after 18 miles whatever I am wearing,

After 18 miles of trails more than my feet are hurting
;)

I think I might finally break down & get a pair... I've been going between the Scarpa INVERNO and the Koflach Degre also.

I've also been looking at these http://www.backcountry.com/store/SAL0326/c11/s21/Salomon-Pro-Ice-Mountaineering-Boot-Mens.html for the stiffness of the sole but can't find a store that I can try them on at. Anyone have any experience or first/second info on them?

Thanks again,
Capt. Jim

CaptainJim said:
I think I might finally break down & get a pair... I've been going between the Scarpa INVERNO and the Koflach Degre also.

Jim - Any recomendations where to find Scarpa's to try on in NH?

Customize

For lots of people customizing a plastic boot to some extent is imperative for proper fit and or keeping your feet warm. I have found trying different brands and different sizes witihin the brand or model has given me the comparisons you really need to feel before making the right choice. Try different sock combinations also.Unfortunately there seems for alot of folks that when fitting a Plastic Boot there is somewhat of a tradeoff between a good fit(no heel slip or toe bang) and warmth. Alot of the time the tighter fitting size in a boot which usully affords no heel slip is also the one where your toes are hitting the front which is invitation to cold toes. The opposite scenrio, the warm boot is usually the one that is bigger and often times results in a sloppy fit (heel slip,fore and aft general slippage). Alot of times the sock combination can cure some of this as well as Customized heel Cups and FootBeds.
I think one of the best things although somewhat expensive to hit the market in recent years is Thermofit Liners.There lighter and there warmer and highly customizable. Because there warmer you can wear a thinner sock cutting down on overall bulk and slop within the boot;therefore affording a closer fit.
Because they are moldable you can "SET" the heel pocket therefore eliminating heel slippage. Because there lighter you cut down on the amount of weight on your foot therefore decreasing the level of fatigue you may feel from wearing a stiff boot on a long hike.Overall with a Thermofit liner they just fit better so they perform better all around.By the way awesome for Tele boots also. I beleive Scarpa makes a liner that is universal for most brands of Plastic Boots. Good time of year to be looking as there are closeouts to be had!

I've noticed that scarpa alpha is much narrower than scarpa inverno. if you have wide feet like I do, invernos are a better choice. koflach arctis is definitely warm, and wider than alpha. I wore it in december on Mt. Rainier. Everyone else in the group who wore Degre was complaining of cold toes. If you will do most of your climbing in the summer then degre is probably okay.

Does anyone else have any comments on size difference within brands. scarpa inverno vs. alpha in particular?

Have had the Degre's for 3 years with no problems. I used the intuition liners for my trip to Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainier. The boots have a fair number of miles on them and they are holding up well.

??????????

bobandgeri said:
Jim - Any recomendations where to find Scarpa's to try on in NH?

Actually I'm beginning to lean towards the Scarpas also but I can't find any place that carries them.... only On-Line stores. May have to just buy them, try them & send them back if they dont fit???
Capt. Jim

ps: my only concern is TonyL's comment that the Scarpas are "clunkier" than the Degres

Last edited:
Scarpa Invernos are clunkier than, say, Degre or Arctis expe, but Scarpa Alpha is lighter and has a much sleeker profile.
For moderate zero degree cold alphas will do the job.
Just remember, alpha has a narrower last than invernos so if you have wide feet (E or above) alphas won't fit well.

I tried I think the Scarpa Alpha Ice and the Koflach Degres at Campmor last friday, from my feet, it felt the Alphas were a little narrower and it really pinched my feet at the arch. Either they were narrower or had a higher arch on the sole but it was too narrow for me.

I eventually bought the Degres in US size 8. Could not find a size 9 to try but I am pretty sure the 8s are good. Only a hike will tell.

I have a question too about the Degres, has anybody tried strap-on crampons with these boots? I have a new Grivel G10 New Classic strap ons and although I know you can use step-ins, is is possible to use strap on crampons on these? They are probably a bit wider than my 3-season boots I dayhike in winter in.

Jay

Remember you can always try before you buy.Most outdoor stores in the North Country rent Plastic Boots.They all carry different Brands from each other. Alot of the time if you land up buying they will apply your rental fee towards an eventual purchase.
Not everyone's foot is shaped the same as are the boots not shaped the same. You need to find the one that works for your foot and unfortunately only actually hiking in them really will tell.
Also if you land up buying something that really does not work for you there is a "BIG" market for used boots. Many shops have consignment areas.You may even want to scavange around in some of those consignment areas you may be surprised what you might find.

had mine for about 4 or 5 years - love them, never had boot bang, blister, etc... - good for hiking, snow climbing, ice climbing, and other may disagree, but I find them ok on the occoasional rocky section.

I have had them in probably minus 20 or so and never even cam close to frostbite or anything.

Jay H said:
I tried I think the Scarpa Alpha Ice and the Koflach Degres at Campmor last friday, from my feet, it felt the Alphas were a little narrower and it really pinched my feet at the arch. Either they were narrower or had a higher arch on the sole but it was too narrow for me.

I eventually bought the Degres in US size 8. Could not find a size 9 to try but I am pretty sure the 8s are good. Only a hike will tell.

I have a question too about the Degres, has anybody tried strap-on crampons with these boots? I have a new Grivel G10 New Classic strap ons and although I know you can use step-ins, is is possible to use strap on crampons on these? They are probably a bit wider than my 3-season boots I dayhike in winter in.

Jay

Jay,

Ive had both the Degres and the Arcs. Used BD sabretooth and Grivel G10's with both. No problem with fit for either one. I like the Grivels better for general mountaineering because the Sabretooths are just too sharp and aggressive. My Arcs were alitte too big and the Sabretooths actually hurt my feet when used with these boots. They arcs felt good with the strap on G10's.

Thanks BlownAway. I was wondering if I would of had to get new crampons. Hoping that I didn't.

BTW, anyway interested in the Scarpa Alpha Ices should check out STP:

Alpha Ice for $150

Jay

I have another question on the Degre, the innner liner's tongue has a little d-ring on it.. what is it for? are we supposed to loop the liner lace through it somehow?

Jay

Jay H said:
I have another question on the Degre, the innner liner's tongue has a little d-ring on it.. what is it for? are we supposed to loop the liner lace through it somehow?

Jay

Thank you, thank you Jay for asking this question. (I've been teased for asking the same thing... well, maybe it wasn't that I didn't know what they were for but that I thought they were decorative! :) ) If you put the liner laces through the ring, it helps keep them tighter lower down. I was having trouble with my toes hitting the front of the boots until I was told what the ring was for and it has made a huge difference.

- Ivy

Bought Degres Saturday.....

Will be using them on their first "real" hike next Saturday the 19th. Right now tentatively scheduled to be Mt. Hight & Carter Dome... will report on them after... stay tuned ;)
Capt. Jim

Is there any special gaitors that anybody recommends for use with these Degres? I have a set of Lowe Alpines but I'm sure they're probably too small cause they barely fit over my Montrail Torres GTXs that I use for winter dayhikes. I'm wondering if anybody has a size and model recommendation. I assume that I would probably want a large since they are much more bulkier than a 3-season boot like the Montrail.

Jay

yeah, get 'em big

I have a pair of Degre size 13s that I can just barely (but can) fit my REI Goretex high gaiters over, if I extend everything all the way. They work great. Basically, the biggest gaiters you can find in the store without special ordering should be OK (of course, some people from Maine with size 15 feet may need bigger... ) :)