Looking for Koflach Degre owners!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hello!
Since I'm fairly new to hiking (only started this summer), I haven't purchased winter boots yet and I'm still hiking in my summer boots (gore-tex north face boots, pretty good but they get chilly when we're not moving). I was thinking of going with a plastic boot (I have yet to rent a pair, but I was just informed that the mountaineer rents out Artic Expe's...so I'll try to rent a pair next weekend). I was wondering if there were any owners of the Degre model on this board? I've been trying to find good reviews of those boots, but they are rather rare and rarely useful. I'd like to know which activities you use them for (I mainly do snowshoeing coupled with cramponing, I want to get more into ice climbing and more serious mountaineering as well) and in which conditions and how they performed. I plan on using them a bit in Quebec, but mainly in the Adirondacks, the Whites, etc (basically, Eastern mountains).

Thanks!

Fish

Welcome aboard, Hikingfish!

If you use the search function for "Koflach Degre" or "Degree" as some folks spell it, you'll find a lot of info about them.

They seem to be the most popular boots out there and there has been a lot of discussion about them this winter.

I have them and like them just fine... fit is very important. I understand they aren't the best boot for vertical ice and they aren't necessarily warm enough to do some big mountaineering expeditions (think Alaska) but are great for the northeast.

spencer

I just started using the Degres this winter and though I had initial problems with blisters at the back of my shins from the boot rubbing, the spot has since toughened up and the boots work very well. I use it during very cold temps dayhiking and also for overnighters. Haven't done any iceclimbing but the boots work very well to kick steps on the steep slopes and also when I had to use my front points more on a recent trip into Baxter. I would highly recommend them.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, many of us own and use this boot.

sli74

Both Koflack (degree and artic) are great boots for what you are looking to do. I wanted to get the artic; however, the fit was too narrow for my foot. Same with the degre. Ended up getting the Scarpa Inverno and my feet are super happy. Got to go with the fit, not the reviews.

Scarpa Inverno

I've used both the Inverno and Degre. The Degre is not a bulky as the Inverno but I find Inverno warmer. Try both before you purchase. It is an investment that will last many years. See if you can rent one pair one day and the other pair another. Then make your choice.

I used my Degres for hiking for the first time this weekend. I bought them for overnighters (this weekend was only my second) and I was worried about whether they would be comfortable for long treks. To my surprise, I found them to be extremely comfortable... and I may start using them for my winter dayhikes as well instead of my Montrail Moraines. I did notice that my calves hurt like the dickens after the trip, I think because I didn't have the range of motion that I'm used to. Overall, I think they're a great boot!

- Ivy

This winter I replaced my old plastic boots with the Degrees and they are great! This past weekend, though, I hiked into Bondcliff and this has been the only time they have given me any trouble....my feet were pretty sore by the time I got back to the car....but then again hiking flat sections kill my feet even in the summer time too. Other then that they are very comfortable to hike in and they keep my toes nice and warm. Good luck.

-MEB

I have the degre's also and they have their plusses and minuses.

Plusses - lots of support, warm, with the right crampons they are invinceable.

Minuses - I have used them 6 times and the toe is beginning to delaminate. Also, remember if you use the stock liners, they weigh 5.5 lbs for the pair. your NF's probably weigh 3lbs. Makes a big difference when planning a marathon hike.

I try to get away with using my summer boots when possible but for overnights the double plastics are hard to beat! Good luck

I have been using the Degres for several winters and have been pleased. I rented a pair from REI before I bought them, and I recommend that approach.

They are not especially comfortable for walking on the level, like a road approach to the trailhead, but they are just fine up and down the mountain.

what they said

Another plus vote. You actually see a lot of them on the winter 4k trails. My experience is similar to MEB's, that on hikes over about 10 miles they can start to get uncomfortable, but it all depends on snow conditions, how much you use your crampons (they are flexible enough that using crampons makes them just a bit stiffer) and how cold it is (Sorels are warmer, and Koflach Arctis expe (sp?) are likely warmer too). They are plenty stiff enough for kicking steps/frontpointing on typical hikes in the Whites, but probably too flexible for real ice climbing. People on this board customize them in all kinds of ways, from glued on supergaiters to featherweight replacement liners to custom insoles. I use the stock liners and haven't had trouble yet, though I don't hike as much as many here do.
I got 'em at the Mountaineer via mail 2 yrs ago for $204 on sale.
Weatherman

I see a lot of people are bored at work today! :eek:

Thanks for all the replies!

I've actually tried ice climbing last weekend in Scarpa inferno's and at the beginning of the day, my feet were freezing! As we closed noon, it got warmer (and we got climbing a lot more). My feet were warmer, but I'd say temps went from -15C at the beginning of the day to -2C around 11am. We shed a couple of layers. I'm a bit afraid that if I was freezing in the inferno's, maybe the degre aren't going to be hot enough. Although I have to say that I didn't spend that much time trying out the inferno's and making sure they fit nicely. They fit over my liner + wool socks, didn't appear too tight, so I rented them. Took 2 minutes.

Fish

Degre beware

I use my mid duty leathers for all my winter hikes, however I do use my Degre's for ice climbing. I've had problems with my heals lifting which is a big problem on ice. I went to the Mountaineer twice to rectify the problem and the second time they gave me these large rubber butterfy looking stickers to fit to my inner boot heal and it solved the problem.

Last edited:
hikingfish said:
I see a lot of people are bored at work today! :eek:

Thanks for all the replies!

I've actually tried ice climbing last weekend in Scarpa inferno's and at the beginning of the day, my feet were freezing! As we closed noon, it got warmer (and we got climbing a lot more). My feet were warmer, but I'd say temps went from -15C at the beginning of the day to -2C around 11am. We shed a couple of layers. I'm a bit afraid that if I was freezing in the inferno's, maybe the degre aren't going to be hot enough. Although I have to say that I didn't spend that much time trying out the inferno's and making sure they fit nicely. They fit over my liner + wool socks, didn't appear too tight, so I rented them. Took 2 minutes.

Fish

I guess your feet were freezing. The Scarpa Inferno is a rock climbing shoe. Do you mean "Inverno"?

I have been hiking and climbing in Degres for about five years now, and I've never had a problem. The liners do get beaten up, so expect to replace them after a few seasons, but other than that, they are great. I climb ice in mine, and although I get a bit of heel lift, I still manage to get up some steep stuff. I highly recommend them.

i've been wearing the degre's for a bunch of years now and think they're great boots, i use them for hiking, mountaineering, and ice climbing. i upgraded the inner boot this year to the intuition denali for a trip to denali this spring, now they're almost too warm.

I got my Koflach Degre's for the winter of 2001. That first winter was tough, and even the following one, because I was not used to such a stiff boot.

Somewhere along the line, they mellowed out and my feet hardened up (probably all the downhill skiing), because this past winter, they have fit me like a glove, softer even than my leather boots. I wore them on an overnight just a week ago and they were so warm and comfortable I didn't even feel it was necessary to take them off (though I did to let them air out and dry).

They take getting used to, but are well worth it.

It is very important to size them right. When I bought them I actually shuttled between the Framingham and Reading REI stores to make sure I had the right size for my foot (each had the size the other didn't have). There's an insert for each size, and a plastic shell for every several sizes. Be sure to try them. Remember that the boot itself does not "break in" in the traditional sense, but the insert will shape itself around your foot.

Oh, and those little rings on the inserts? Those are lace locks. You can set the lower part of your foot a little looser for blood flow, then tighten up the ankle for support (some people prefer the other way around). This is very helpful to comfort in the Degre. Right, Ivy? ;)

Plastic boots too stiff?

sli74 said:
I just started using the Degres this winter and though I had initial problems with blisters at the back of my shins from the boot rubbing, the spot has since toughened up and the boots work very well. I use it during very cold temps dayhiking and also for overnighters. Haven't done any iceclimbing but the boots work very well to kick steps on the steep slopes and also when I had to use my front points more on a recent trip into Baxter. I would highly recommend them.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, many of us own and use this boot.

sli74

Are the plastic boots kinda stiff for long distance hikes? I mean what do you do if you have to hike 10 - 12 miles but also want a stiff boot for kicking in steps or stiffening up cranpons. I notice my feet hurt at the balls after a long day with crampons on because my boots flex too much at that area. I'd like something a little stiffer but am afraid plastics won't be good for long distance.... any comments anyone???

Thanks,
Capt. Jim

10-12 miles per day is my max in these. Perhaps mine aren't fitted correctly but I start to get major foot pain from toe climbing. I am in terested to see if other experience this.

I've never had problems with a stiffer-soled plastic boot as long as there was enough loose snow on the flat sections. The part that can be a problem for me is the ankles. I tie a knot just below the ankle, than loosen the ankle lacing for flats (more ankle flex) and tighten it for steeps (less ankle flex).

Sounds like the lace locks Michael J mentions above do the same thing.