Looking For Some Ideas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I get older I'm trying to listen to my body more and shutting activity down for a while when I start to hurt. Doing trail-work for me - especially swinging an axe and digging with a hazel hoe, has been especially hard on shoulders and hands. I read this in a Boston Globe article on the Tuckerman trail work and laughed .... “On trail crew, we age in dog years.’’ So I shut it down and rest when injured or in real pain.

Otherwise in replacement, I'd:

Enjoy local woods walks more. Just being in nature is vital.

Working in the yard and garden or just out enjoying nature at home!

I had a great experience hiking with Randy Pierce this weekend, a blind hiker who is attempting to climb all the NH 48 4K peaks with his guide dog, Quinn. I learned a lot about the power of humans to adapt and overcome adversity.

Life is what you make of it.

Continued from the previous comment…..

…..I believe, as long as I’m having fun doing it, I’ll continue hiking. And, as long as I have a hiking partner like Sue, I’ll continue to have fun hiking.

What to do after hiking is the tough part. Because of the shoulder problems that have been bought and paid for while hiking, I feel paddling and rock climbing are out. Any activity that requires two reliable arms isn’t for me. :eek:

Becoming more active in hunting would definitely make sense. Other activities like cross country skiing and biking may also be interesting.

At this point I guess the current objective is to wear out the equipment hiking and then I’ll make the final decision on what’s next (at that time) based on what’s left.

:rolleyes:

Bad hearing is a good news/bad news kind of thing. The bad news; I can’t really carry on a conversation while hiking. The good news; I end up with lots of time for thinking. These comments will provide plenty to think about as I hike along tomorrow.

:)

Earl - I have bad hearing, too. Friends can't believe I don't hear what they hear so clearly, like the red-eyed vireo yesterday. My best friends are very understanding when I've misunderstood what they said. Often, they are such good friends I don't have to understand what they've said, exactly, to know what they mean as I can anticipate my friend reactions pretty well. My friends, unlike a decade-long co-worker who continues to talk to me from behind her cubicle walls, make an effort to face me and speak clearly. When I hike with two or more others, they can carry on the conversation while I enjoy their company in other ways. Another friend wonders why I can't understand all of his words, but do hear the softest phhtt. A bonus - I'm getting better at lip reading.

Last edited:
Ironically, I might play more golf. Ironic since I almost never play any more because I prefer to hike on my free days.

I agree with a lot of the other alternative activities mentioned here such as paddling, skiing (xc and downhill), biking, photography. They all have the common theme of enjoying the great outdoors. I just spent the weekend sailing...I think I'd enjoy that as well.

I've stopped hiking this year because I'm training for a marathon (St. George, Utah). I'm exhausted all the time. It's great.

My goal is to qualify for the 2013 Boston Marathon (which would be my 5th Boston) in my new age group that I will enter next fall (think Paul Simon).

When that's all over, I'm sure I'll be back to hiking and peakbagging and benchmark hunting etc. etc.

I think it helps to shift gears every so often to keep fresh.

Continued from the previous comment…..

…..I believe, as long as I’m having fun doing it, I’ll continue hiking. And, as long as I have a hiking partner like Sue, I’ll continue to have fun hiking.

What to do after hiking is the tough part. Because of the shoulder problems that have been bought and paid for while hiking, I feel paddling and rock climbing are out. Any activity that requires two reliable arms isn’t for me. :eek:

Becoming more active in hunting would definitely make sense. Other activities like cross country skiing and biking may also be interesting.

At this point I guess the current objective is to wear out the equipment hiking and then I’ll make the final decision on what’s next (at that time) based on what’s left.

:rolleyes:

Regardless of what you decide, the Whites are a better place having felt your feet upon thier summits.

Regardless of what you decide, the Whites are a better place having felt your feet upon thier summits.

Thanks sierra.

:)

I'm pretty sure the equipment will hang in there for quite a few more miles.

;)

I had asked for input about hip arthritis some months back, and received very positive responces. My rehap / rest-up period went well, but let me tell you what going dormant may be worth: 10 lbs and 2" on the waist, and loss of endurance. You can extrapolate for your own situation, but it's a real drag on the pants / shorts, and ego.

Post PT (no hip surgery - yet?), I'm back on the program and debating the B3 so to finish the NE4K.