Lost and found boards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmom

Reaction score
Peakbagr states there are other boards more suitable for "lost and found" questions. What boards would those be? And why shouldn't this board have a "lost and found" section? What is the "original purpose" of the VFTT board and why isn't this a useful function? I read the AMC boards regularly and there are relatively few "lost and found" questions, but there was one in which a poster lost his wedding ring and it was found months later and returned to the grateful owner.

This seems a more useful purpose for a hiking related board than reading yet more one rant about dogs, hunter, ATVs, mountain bikers, etc. etc.

Being a new member, you probably haven't read the Board owner's Rules of the Road regarding posting. Darren has described his problems with taking up server space on VFTT. There really isn't a lost and found here because there isn't one.
You're welcome to post On Topic here or you can sample other places that have rules more to your liking.

I was writing this while Peakbagr answered hikingmom's post.

After reading Peakbagr's posts I went and read the rules of the forum which I had skimmed quickly when I first registered. I could see his point within the context of those rules. However, if someone gets his camera back thanks to this forum then that's great and I think the forum has done a bang-up job. Moreover, within the context of those rules then I think a lot of posts/threads could/should get the yank. (Surely, some of mine :) ) However, it's not my forum. That said, I don't see what's wrong with a lost and found section either but I've only been here for 6 months and the forum has existed for 10 years. Maybe there's a reason.

Neil,

Its not my board either, its Darren's. He makes the rules. When the board owner wants a lost and found forum, or a forum for selling gear, you'll see one. Just a week ago he told folks that we'd run out of room on the server and he spent money out of his own pocket to upgrade.
There are other hiking boards that have fewer restrictions on posting. They also don't take up the space that a board with 1,200 members does.
I'd love for that camera to be found. Good situation for a loyal VFTT member, but the end doesn't justify the means. Its not 1 or 2 posts a week that are a problem. Its the encouragement that more will follow.
You make a very valid point about other posts that don't get yanked. You pick your spots and try to stay out of people's way.

hikingmom said:
I read the AMC boards regularly ....This seems a more useful purpose for a hiking related board than reading yet more one rant about dogs, hunter, ATVs, mountain bikers, etc. etc.

Might I kindly point out that AMC recently closed M&M due to all the problems they were having and the complaints that folks were registering.

I cannot recall the last time there was a serious rant on this board and to be quite honest, I'd rather have a well-moderated board than a L&F thread.

LONG LIVE VFTT :D

If this is truly about a need for a lost and found section, adkforum.com has one. But we only reach a certain number, and being that VFTT and other boards have been around much longer and have a larger userbase I think I follow your line of questioning.

I've always thought that if it's to help the community, then why NOT have it? (it really isn't a bandwidth issue, it's just text and that doesn't really come into play when calculating potential bandwidth usage)

Barring the "this is my house, my rules" mentality, I'm of the opinion that once a member joins it becomes their residence as well. Without members feeling welcome and contributing any forum would be a pretty boring and empty space. So I really don't buy that line of thought.

Here's The Word:

There was a discussion of this Lost & Found business on the VFTT Site Feedback forum in January 2004. It started with a similar question: “Any suggestions for where to post lost & found items on this site?”

After a few exchanges, Darren -- who is the VFTT founder and our benefactor on this site -- weighed in with this remark:

“I'd rather not have lost & found posts on the trail conditions. They are just for trail conditions and nothing more.

“I would say lost and found posts could go on the Q&A forum, assuming the item was lost or found in the Northeast. Please try to keep lost and found posts to items of value.

“Thanks for asking before posting...”

(From Site Feedback forum - January 10, 2004)

And, with this one:

“. . . if you are posting trail conditions, you can say "I found a camera". What I dont want is the trail conditions to turn into a forum with people who post ‘Lost: Camera’ in the trail name field and then have the only conditions comments be ‘emailme if you find it’ . Know what I mean?

“Thanks, . . .”

(From Site Feedback forum, January 13, 2004)

Maybe that is where the current discussion here should rest?

G.

Grumpy said:
Maybe that is where the current discussion here should rest?

G.

The responses you quoted make more sense than a definitve "No". Looks like it's okay so long as it's in the Q&A section and not on the conditions page.

Thanks for looking that up Grumpy :).

"lost or found"

my, my my ok you guys; you sound like the dwarfs; grumpy - stoopid - rick - peakbagger - neil & hikingmom! :D
so i'm going to be snow white! (this is my fantasy so i get to be who i want)
1st: in regards to the lost/found issue; i'll give you the "rules" point. However, it seems the intention of stating it in the rules was to try to set up some "peramiters" to try to keep the site manageble. i don't think anyone can argue that point.
2nd: however, i've been on this site now for a year or so & there have only been a very few lost/found postings. AND, they don't turn into discussions (the recent camera one being an exception - but that discussion could have become a post anyway since folks seemed like they were looking for an opportunity to get together). usually they are very brief;stating what was found/lost - the location - and how to contact if you found or you are the "loser". no reason at all for discussion; end of post.
3rd: so, in reality that 1 post to state an item lost/found takes up less space & requires less management than THIS post to argue about the matter.
4th: almost everyone on this site has been in favor of supporting the site by purchasing car stickers, patches and hopefully t-shirts. so it's not like "most" of us are here taking advantage of darren's good graces. we want to help him out. if we are willing to help out financially then it's only fair we have some say in what the site is used for. it seems that most will agree the "lost/found" issue, to date has not been abused and should not be a topic for argument. don't you think it would be better to wait & see if it did get out of hand & if so, then say - enough!
5th: "You're welcome to post On Topic here or you can sample other places that have rules more to your liking"
yes, adk may have an area to post lost/found. but that's like sending your customers away & making them shop elsewhere. i like this site. i don't have the time or inclination to be active on 2 sites. i choose to support vftt. if issues like this come up & participants are told - " go over to the adk site"; then ok they go over there, then they start reading the post, becoming active and maybe they don't come here anymore.
6th: hiking gear is not cheap & for crying out loud; if one person can help another eleviate the financial burden of having to go out & replace gear - or return something of value; personal or financial; isn't that the kind of people you want supporting your site?
i feel as long as the post is brief & the "posting person" has all other contact DONE VIA PERSONAL EMAIL (maybe you could add this to the rules, that way they aren't even using the sites "pm" space). than this type of post should not be a problem.
Now I want all my little dwarfs to kiss & make up!
please....

Last edited:
I'm impressed!

It takes a man with an open ear and mind and no ego issues to rescind his previous decision after listening to some debate. I'm impressed. Now Hillman and AlG you better find that stupid camera!

Wow, this was really worth coming over to VFTT for. I did read the rules but really didn't know about the past discussions banning lost-and-found notices so I answered that goretex rainpants post. I respected the lock-up because it was well-explained, and there was a precedent for it even if I didn't know it. But this is even better, as someone said earlier, the sign of an open mind.

From the lost rainpants originator

Well, this has been a very interesting experience. I am new to the VFTT boards. Havent done much hiking over the last 20 years and decided to start again. I joined this and the AMC boards to learn and prepare myself for more extensive hiking. In the short time that I have been watching (lurking), i have learned a great deal. I honestly didnt mean to hijack a board with my lost rainpants question. I read the rules (albeit quickly), but didnt see anything regarding no lost and found posts. Being a newbie to the board, I didnt know that the issue had been raised before. After reading Peakbagr's post, I felt bad about my bad manners. I have to admit that I am impressed with how it has been handled and congratulate you all. One of the things that I have always enjoyed about hiking/backpacking/camping is the diverse people that I have met. Usually open minded, interesting, socially aware, environmentally responsible people from all around the world. This discussion proves my point. After input from various members, Peakbagr responded in a thoughtful way and re-opened the thread. This is a perfect example of how a village should (and does in most small towns) operate. I appreciate it. I dont think that the boards will become clogged with lost and found threads, I havent seen that happen on the other boards in which I lurk. Hopefully this will be an isolated incident with me and my son. I thought that with so many people involved with the board that it was worth a shot. I would like to thank all members, especially grumpy - stoopid - rick - peakbagger - neil & hikingmom, for the open discussion. I will try to do my part by obeying Darren's rules and by making suggestions when I think they may be warranted. Thanks again. It is a pleasure to be a part of this and to hopefully make many new friends with you all.

Bob

Last edited:
Hey Peakbagr!

In your reply you stated:
"Just a week ago he told folks that we'd run out of room on the server and he spent money out of his own pocket to upgrade"

shadowcat stated:
"almost everyone on this site has been in favor of supporting the site by purchasing car stickers, patches and hopefully t-shirts"

We view VFTT as one of the best resources availabe for information on hiking in New England. Darren spends a lot of his time to maintain the site and clearly has/is spending money out of his pocket. I went to the link for patches and it indicates that it covers the cost of the patches, not support of the web site.

How can we the users of this site assist in cover costs associated with it, and help with the support?

"costs of site"

re: "I went to the link for patches and it indicates that it covers the cost of the patches, not support of the web site."

good point; darren is probably just being too nice a guy and not going for a bit of "profit". profit can be a double edged sword sometimes but a necessary "evil" to stay in business. i would not be opposed to paying extra not to just cover costs but so he would have some "profit" to put towards the site.

Last edited:
RL - Welcome aboard a great site!

Rb - I'm just the moderator, Darren owns the site so I don't want to speak for him. IMOHO, though, the offers for stickers, tshirts, and other fund raisers are all great ideas. If I were Darren, though, this is what I'd be thinking...Someone has to design them, order them, store them, collect the orders, box and mail them and keep the records. Thats a lot of work for anyone. Darren has a busy job with travel that takes him away from home for weeks at a time sometimes.
If you couple these factors with a concern for the "profit" margin on any of these items, and then try to determine what % of our members would actually spend ___ how much money to buy it, you probably won't end up with a lot of revenue for all the effort.

As I said, thats just my thought process. There was a stir a few months back when I suggested that folks contribute to a charity that is dear to Darren's heart, the Brain Tumor Society. Many members gratefully sent in contributions. Others got a little bent out of shape for my shilling the charity event and donation request. I am rightfully gunshy about putting myself in the same position again.

We agree with all the extra work to organize selling stuff.

If Darren needs donations or assistance in keeping VFTT up and running, we would be glad to offer $$$ and our time - and all we want in return is to have our name changed :>