Lost and found boards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly didn't mean to get anyone upset with my question. However, I just read the site rules and it doesn't mention not posting "lost and found" questions. By unlocking the previous thread does that mean you are relaxing the "unwritten" rules or is it a one-time reprieve?

Peakbagr said:
Darren has described his problems with taking up server space on VFTT. There really isn't a lost and found here because there isn't one.
You're welcome to post On Topic here or you can sample other places that have rules more to your liking.

If more server space is need then why not put up a donation spot where members can donate so Darren can get more space. I had the same issue on my site and I put up a donation link and it helped me out. I found a server with:

1GB of ram.
It includes cPanel control panel
ftp
ssh
6GB storage
150GB transfer
and more.

All for just at above $30.00 a month

You just have to shop around to find a good deal.

hikingmom said:
By unlocking the previous thread does that mean you are relaxing the "unwritten" rules or is it a one-time reprieve?
You lose a lot of stuff you want found, or something? :)

And now...Over to the sub-thread.

As for shopping for a new host, I'd be careful. This site is seamless with its current set-up. Lots of hassles over at ADKforum with missing posts, hanging and timing out, weird times on posts. Kevin's changed hosts once and is shopping again. Big hassle.
I'd be happy to send some pure Canadian dollars (hey! a twenty CDN now gets ya a coffee and a donut PLUS change!).

What about advertising or am I gonna get torched for that suggestion? :cool:

Neil said:
As for shopping for a new host, I'd be careful. This site is seamless with its current set-up. Lots of hassles over at ADKforum with missing posts, hanging and timing out, weird times on posts. Kevin's changed hosts once and is shopping again. Big hassle.

Well if you back up your databases correctly and move everything in the right way then you should not have any issues. I moved my site three times in a 6 month period and never had a problem moving it. You are right it is a hassle though. Because you don't know what the server is like until you actually have the site up and running on it. That was why I had to move three times. It took me three times to find the right server. But I moved my site with 400 meg of photos and 200 meg of database three times and never lost a thing. Finding the right server is the big thing though. You really need to shop around and find what fits your sites needs. My site grew to fast and kept out growing the server.

Neil said:
What about advertising or am I gonna get torched for that suggestion? :cool:

I, for one, would consider it a very sad day indeed if sidebars and popup ads started sprouting on VFTT.

Actions speak louder than words so once I post this I'm writing a check to Darren. I'm no Rockefeller so it will be a drop in the bucket, but every little helps.

Bob