Lost Hiker on Mt Lafayette - FOUND!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jjmcgo said:
I wouldn't have driven off the pier, I would driven into the water next to the pier because my GPS always seems to be 36 feet off!

If you are serious, check if you have the correct Datum set. That may be your problem. :D ;)

Keith

jjmcgo said:
I wouldn't have driven off the pier, I would driven into the water next to the pier because my GPS always seems to be 36 feet off!
SAR-EMT40 said:
If you are serious, check if you have the correct Datum set. That may be your problem. :D ;)
The other possibilities are
1. Systematic error in your GPS
2. Errors on your maps. (Consumer GPSes are more accurate than many maps...)

Doug

This SAR Highlighted in Dec-07 Backpacker

This SAR is included in a article entitled "Panic" and deals with hikers doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.
Good article. The outdors didn't kill them, they killed themselves (when they panicked).

HikeSafe....Walker

Last edited:
Whew, just read through that thread again. That was a long one...... :eek:

In bookstores...?

Hmmm...as the December issue is not in bookstores until december, would anyone with a subscription mind giving a story synopsis. What was the magazines take on the situation?

It was quite a rescue effort, and yes, this was quite a thread.

I've got the article here. PM me and I'll fax a copy of it to you.
The article is about Panic. They don't "kid glove" his decisions. Apparently he had all the gear he needed to be found quickly and/or be comfortable and failed to use them, at all or properly.

That's the tone of the article, I have no idea what he was experiencing.

Chip said:
I've got the article here. PM me and I'll fax a copy of it to you.
The article is about Panic. They don't "kid glove" his decisions. Apparently he had all the gear he needed to be found quickly and/or be comfortable and failed to use them, at all or properly.

That's the tone of the article, I have no idea what he was experiencing.

A sincere thanks for the offer, but B&N had it out last night so I have gotten to read it. There certainly were no "kid gloves"...