Lost Hiker on Mt Lafayette - FOUND!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
From the NH Fish and Game:

Lt. Todd Bogardus: (603) 271-3361
January 21, 2007

SEARCH FOR LOST HIKER CONTINUES IN WHITE MOUNTAINS

CONCORD, N.H. -- Today in the White Mountains, dozens of trained rescuers are searching for hiker Brian Gagnon, age 24, of Merrimack, after his hiking party was caught on Mt. Lafayette in treacherous winter conditions on Saturday, January 20, 2007.

According to Lt. Doug Gralenski of N.H. Fish and Game, Gagnon, a graduate student at Plymouth, set out from Franconia Notch with two friends to hike Mt. Lafayette on Saturday morning by way of the Old Bridle Path.

On the mountain, the hikers -- equipped with cold-weather hiking and camping gear -- encountered severe winds, extremely low temperatures and limited visibility. They decided to turn around and return home, though the initial plan was to hike the Franconia Ridge and spend the night at the Liberty Springs Tent Site.

On the way back down the mountain, the group decided to split up, with Gagnon hiking ahead. His companions returned safely to the trailhead on Saturday afternoon, but Gagnon has not been seen since.

Gagnon was in contact by cell phone, placing calls to his friends at about 4:30 p.m. Saturday and 8:00 a.m. this morning. Gralenski reported that Gagnon told the other hikers that he was below treeline, in a drainage where several brooks join together -- but he wasn't certain which side of the mountain.

Eight teams of searchers, a total of 36 professionals including 8 Conservation Officers and many skilled volunteers from the area, are looking for Gagnon in three high-probability valleys. Pemi Valley Search and Rescue, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, and Mountain Rescue Services are participating in the effort, with Fish and Game's Lt. Todd Bogardus coordinating.

New Hampshire National Guard has been helping with the search and provided a helicopter, but high winds have limited the helicopter search.

The weather continues to be extremely cold, windy, and dangerous in the White Mountains, with below-zero temperatures and high winds. The terrain of the search area is very technical, and those involved with the search are skilled and trained to work in extreme conditions.

No further information is available at this time.

I think I saw them

I am pretty sure I saw these guys yesterday as I was up there at the same time. I was traveling up with my girlfreind and they flew by us. We were actually turned around 1/2 mile from the summit, but I could still see them further off in the distance.

It is always an awkward situation to say something, but they did not look ready to spend the night out with the gear they had. One of them actually made the comment "I wish we had not stayed up last night drinking ". Bad night to be out as well, it was 6 degree's at our car when we returned.

I just got this from the F&G:

SEARCH FOR LOST HIKER WILL CONTINUE MONDAY

CONCORD, N.H. -- The White Mountain search for lost hiker Brian Gagnon, age 24,
of Merrimack, N.H., is being suspended until Monday morning.

Gagnon was last seen by two hiking companions on Saturday, January 20, 2007, on
Mt. Lafayette.

Lt. Todd Bogardus of N.H. Fish and Game said that 8 search teams did not locate
Gagnon on Sunday; when the search resumes on Monday morning, the focus will
still be on the three high-probability valleys in the area.

As of 6:00 p.m. Sunday, some search crews are still out on the trails, with
several miles to go before returning to the trailhead.

According to Bogardus, today’s extensive search efforts were hampered by cold
temperatures and high winds up to 60 MPH. The weather forecast for Monday looks slightly
better, he said.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Pemi Valley Search and Rescue,
Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, Mountain Rescue Services, and a New
Hampshire National Guard helicopter are all actively participating in the search
effort.

No further information is available at this time.

-------------------------------------------------

Not looking good. Hopefully he comes out of this safe.

Brian

The good news is that tonight the weather will be greatly improving, warming temps through the night on the summits, with winds dying down significantly after midnight.

The problem is warming up to 5F, and winds dying to 30 still do not make for easy conditions. But the WORST of it is over for him, and he did survive the first night in MUCH MUCH worse...

I've been reading "Not Without Peril" and this incident is tugging at my heart strings!! I pray Brian Gagnon pulls through and is found unharmed!!

I just wonder why these men separated. There's safety in numbers.

Last edited:
I've seen this guy around the Plymouth campus riding his longboard, maybe even had a class with him, weird. Hope all works out.

I am hoping that someone asked him if his phone has a GPS feature that would give him his GPS coordinates. That would make finding him a much simpler proposition. They would also be able to give him ways to get out or keep him where ever he was and make it much easier to get too him.

Keith

It makes no difference why they separated, that is in the past. What is important is that he gets down safely and that SAR stays safe as well. I know someone who was out yesterday on this rescue effort. I haven't heard any new details as yet. My thoughts and prayers are with this man and his family; let's all hope there is good news later today.

Praying to hear some good news ASAP. If anyone does hear anything please post.

yes it does make a difference why they seperated, if only to tell us all,once again, STAY TOGETHER, ESPECIALLY IN DIFFICULT CONDITIONS

Paul the Explorer said:
yes it does make a difference why they seperated, if only to tell us all,once again, STAY TOGETHER, ESPECIALLY IN DIFFICULT CONDITIONS
This is generally good advice for beginners. Depends on the details for the highly experienced.

Note that if they had stayed together it is possible that all 3 could now be lost...

gaiagirl said:
the only thing that should matter right now is that he and SAR crews come down safe.
Agreed. Figuring out the details should wait until the dust has settled, although some of the details (eg where they were when they separated) could help with the rescue.

And certainly, informing the general public of the details is even lower priority.

Doug

Last edited:
bobandgeri said:
Update on WMUR

http://www.wmur.com/news/10812993/detail.html

Sounds like they think he may be on the backside of the peak. Also saw the WMUR news at noontime where they indicated he was a certified First Repsonder which may increase his survival chances.
By the backside, I assume they mean Lincoln Brook Area. If he was in Walker Ravine, I would think they'd have an easier time finding him. Also, I believe there is a prominent logging road alongside the brook in there. He would have been able to follow that out by now.

If he's wandering around in the Lincoln Brook Area he could be anywhere. There's a lot of areas with not trail all the way up to Garfield Ridge. There's probably logging roads but Lincoln Brook Trail above Owl's Head is probably not well traveled so it might confuse him more.

Hopefully he gets out ok. That's a lot of time to spend in there without surfacing.

Stay on the trails. The Mount Washington Observatory also issued a warning for hiking above treeline on Saturday.

-Dr. Wu