Lost Hiker?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is such a dreadful piece of news to read. Prayers go out for all of those affected by this accident.

I hope we all can contemplate just how easy a slip and fall in the backcountry can turn into a tragedy. Just because one is hiking what is deemed an "easy" mountain by no means ensures saftey. Enjoy your hikes but always hike smart and with care.

A person who dies in the mountains and forests is "one of us," having shared the areas we love so much. My heart goes out to Mary's family and friends.

"Preliminarily, it appears she may have taken a fall," Bogardus said. "She was located in a brook drainage that is very steep and dangerous and is not a hiking trail."

The location is a quarter-mile above the Cannon Mountain tramway
Does this mean a short distance above and to the left of the tram Valley Station? There is a ledgy and viewable brook adjacent to the tramline - up by an old water tank I believe.

We reviewed this sad accident at our PVSART meeting and training session at the Tram Base Station this past Wednesday night, and noted that any of us also can be within one footstep of a similar tragedy. Please be safe out there, and my condolences to her family and friends.