Lost tent/equipment near Marcy summit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiking morris

Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday we were trying to find the herd path that goes from Marcy to Gray when we stumbled on a tent, backpack, food, sleeping bag, well pretty much everything a hiker would have needed for a long hike. We didn't quite understand why someone would have left ALL is equipment behind. It almost looked as if that person got lost when going to the "bathroom" and couldn't get back to his things afterward. Anyone have an idea about this or heard about someone who lost his equipment? I'd say it's been there for at least a few days probably more like a month.

Hello,
Yesterday we were trying to find the herd path that goes from Marcy to Gray when we stumbled on a tent, backpack, food, sleeping bag, well pretty much everything a hiker would have needed for a long hike. We didn't quite understand why someone would have left ALL is equipment behind. It almost looked as if that person got lost when going to the "bathroom" and couldn't get back to his things afterward. Anyone have an idea about this or heard about someone who lost his equipment? I'd say it's been there for at least a few days probably more like a month.
Well either way, it stinks for the person who lost it. Id be sick over it...In fact, I thought i lost my Body Glide on my CL-50 hike and it bugged me for a week...Just cleaned out pack and found it on the outer pocket, which I thought I had looked ...Happy Days again...

Hello,
Yesterday we were trying to find the herd path that goes from Marcy to Gray
While we can not absolutely stop you, please do not traverse Marcy to Gray, unless in winter. Yes, there is a herd path, but just pretend it does not exist. It's a very fragile environment, and it should be left alone.

I know, I felt bad walking there and tried to stay on rocks as much as possible, I wouldn't go back there. It didn't belong to someone who was already on the herd path that day. Everything was a mess, the tent was lying on the ground and everything was soaked. It's been there for a while for sure. It just seemed like the person left EVERYTHING there. I was even wondering if we would find a corpse in the tent!

One can wonder if it is the doing of the same gang which left much of the same gear in the Gothics-Armstrong col a winter or two ago!

And please do not travel directly from Marcy to Gray as per a DEC request. Vegetation is fragile even out of the rock ledges and into the woods.

This is a terrific little mystery, like the guy that left his truck in Maine and rented the car. What happened here ? Is the owner okay ? I've heard of golfers so frustrated that they threw their clubs in the water, did this hiker just get up and leave ? (I've been tempted to leave behind water/ice logged equipment.) I'm sure the owner or his family would appreciate the return of the gear, regardless.

Sounds like Katz, from Bill Bryson's book has been in the area. ;)

On a more serious note, definitely not LNT, and in a fragile area. Hopefully everyone got out alright.

I did leave a message but they haven't called me back yet (DEC). They kept transferring me to one another and one finally said ok I'm going to transfer you to a ranger, just leave a message. That was yesterday and I'm still waiting.

Good on ya!

(The response reminds me of a vehicle that sat unattended at Rainier for three weeks in April one year. Finally someone thought to check the plate -- yep, it was a critical clue in locating a missing person . . . )