MacNaughton on 11th March

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike!
Plan to sleep in my car at the ADK Loj parking lot Friday night and hit the trail at daybreak, around 06h00. This is scheduled to be a day hike, 11 to 14 hrs depending on trail breaking needed. However due to the lack of snow this winter and the underlying ice, trail breaking should not be overly strenuous. As for the bushwhack up MacNaughton, it was an easy one of 2½ hrs up and down when I did it last June. In winter, I expect that it should not take more than 4 hrs at most to and from the beaver dam on Wallface pond. Would love to have company on the trails.
Pierre

Pierre,
It sounds like a good plan. I may have two more people interested. If that is ok?? We can give you a definite yes or no by March 5th. Is there any steep sections were crampons or an ice axe maybe needed? How fast or slow of a pace do you hike?

Mike

Hi Mike!
The more we are the better for trail breaking.
The climb up MacNaughton was very gradual in summer conditions from the northern approach, ref. from Wallface pond, with no ridges or cliffs. Even though I plan to bring crampons & ice pick it is very unlikely that they will be necessary. The easiest & quickest way to Wallface Pond is from the ADK Loj. I am reluctant at attempting MacNaughton from the south or east, having personally never done those approaches before.
How fast of a hiker am I? Well above average. About 75%-80% Pinpin power.
But that being said, my rule is to ajust to the group speed. With a slow pace and rough going it could turn out to be a 16 hrs hike. If certain hikers do not have such endurance, turning back as a group is the only wise thing to do. As the mousketeers would say " One for all and all for one ".
Pierre

MacNaughton on Sat. 11th March

Latest weather report mentions sun with intermittent clouds for Sat. along with mild temps above feezing. It should thus be a superb hike under true spring conditions. Will sleep in my car and would like to leave the ADK Loj parking around 05h30. Those interested in joining me, please confirm. Will leave for ADK Fri. evening around 20h30-21h00.
Pierre

Pierre,

I'm interested in going, but I can't go until Sunday.

I attempted earlier this winter, but only made it as far as Wallface Pond; fell in creek and had to turn back.

Sam

Hi Sam!
Sorry cannot hike this Sunday. Will try to leave good tracks up to MacNaughton summit for you should you attempt that peak Sun.
Good & safe hiking.
Pierre

Was great to see you on the trail Sat. night Sam. My legs were starting to get quite tired when we met and your pleasant encounter really cheered me up and gave me that extra boost to finish the hike enjoyably. I hope all went well for you two and that you had superb views on top of MacNaughton of the nearby summits under that clear starry sky and bright moon. See my trip report and to the pleasure of meeting you again on the trails.
Pierre