Madison Hut via Brookside and other nice trails in the rain – August 3, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
The original plan was to do the Baldfaces, but with rain and thunderstorms in the forecast I wanted to do something safer and more protected – the northern Presis! I am kidding of course, but seriously, I knew there were better options in this area to hike in the protected forest if the weather was poor. So, here we go…

If any of you remember, last October after finishing my 48 I mentioned that “next” for me was redlining of the trails in the Northern Presis (really – I quote myself!). Well, as life would have it, I was in that area last October and did not get back until today. I decided to be more interesting than just the Valley Way as I headed up the VW to the Falls Way and viewed some beautiful, rushing waterfalls – Tama was great. I also say Gordon Falls on the way out. Back to the Valley Way I proceeded to the Brookside Trail which follows the water where the Valley Way diverges to the right. My original plan was to take this to the Watson Path and to the summit of Mount Madison – ) I believe this month marks the 20th anniversary of the Macdonald Barr tragedy (printed in “Not Without Peril” on this route and I have been wanting to do some of the route.) However, the fog and the rain and the cooling temps made me the decision for me not to try that route today.

I will say that the Brookside is the prettiest trail I have ever hiked in the WMNF. Constant water views and spectacular falls – the Salmacis Falls are one of the nicest I have ever seen anywhere. Eventually after passing the falls the trail goes up and meets the Watson Path. I took a right and negotiated around monstrous Bruin Rock and was quickly back at the Valley Way where I continued to head up towards the hut.

I began to notice the temp was dropping quite a bit. At the tree line death warning sign I opted to put my rain jacket on, but stuck with the shorts. At the hut I learned that it was around 60 degrees and the wind was between 30-40 mph. I checked out the weather forecast which showed a rising barometer and still predicted thunderstorms in the afternoon. I decided it was early enough to try something fun as I departed the hut at 11am for the Air Line Cut Off.

By now it is totally pouring out – one of the worst I have been in and I have hiked in a lot of rain. My feet were dry up until about 11:15 and then that was over! I got to the Air Line quickly and began descending. I have only done some of the lower parts of this trail as well as the Adams Summit so this was new ground. Even thought the views were not there today I did see a glimpse of JQ Adams once. The disappearing view into King Ravine was mesmerizing. I found the trail easy to follow between the cairns and blue blazes and it never really gets too close to anywhere that is dangerous. Interestingly, at Chemin des Dames there was no sign – there was a sign stating the direction of the Air Line, but nothing else. Perhaps that discourages people from climbing down. After entering into the scrub and then the trees (which by the way, happened a lot faster than I thought it would – about 25-30 minutes from the hut) the trail began to be very flooded in sections – in fact it was around 6 inches deep in many spots. I just kept on chugging through it and made my way to the Scar Trail.
The recent trip report by Mohammed Ellozy made me want to check out the Scar Trail – and I am glad I did! Another of the most beautiful trails I have ever hiked all in the same day! To say this trail is lush with moss is an understatement – it is like giant green bedding. Audrey would still be there identifying mushrooms! – I have never seen so many of them! I saw one small cluster of bright red mushrooms that were very bright. When I got to the loop trail I opted to stay on the main trail as the ledges and boulders looked really slick today – I figured no one would ever find my body today, so I played it safe. The trail continues around and passes by the start of the remaining Watson Path before descending down to the Valley Way about 2.4 miles from Appalacia.

The foot bed on the Valley Way was deteriorating, in fact at times I felt like I was cross-country skiing on mud! Once I left a four foot boot mark. I took the entire Fallsway down past all of the raging falls on the way back to the car. I was soaked through and had the time of my life!

I feel very dumb for not taking a camera today…

Sapblatt: Great to see you toolin' around VW and AirLine. I was up there earlier this week to work on AirLine but confined the cleaning out of water bars and clipping of branches to the section of AirLine from the spring to just below Scar. I guess from your report I have more work cut out for me! :eek:

If you haven't already, you should also check out the connector trails of the Upper and Lower Bruin. They are mighty sweet and appear to get very little traffic. Scar also is just amazing.

BTW, you mentioned not seeing a sign for the Chemin des Dames cutoff. The last time I was there, there was only a handmade sign

Redlining is the process of redlining (or highlighting) any of the trails on a map that you have hiked...
It is the next insidious stage of the hiking illness that generally starts after you have finished some major list (for me, it was the 48) and you need a project to keep you going!
there are some people who have redlined the entire AMC White Mountain Guide maps - I should live so long!