MAGIC II -The Catskills gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
May this become an annual small shindig to celebrate Halloween. Free campsites at Sundown, come in a costume, hike in a costume..... Whatever suits your fancy.

Oct 27th weekend, hiking TBD, but have some bushwacks in mind. Close to the Long Path and of course, Peekamoose, Table, Van Wyck... Red Hill firetower... Denman Mt...Woodhull Mt...Samson Mt, Bangle Mt, The falls south on the LP...

However, it is probably going to be archery season in the Cats...

Jay

Thanks for the heads up, Jay. Where do I sign up? This just might end up being my first hike of the season ... which season, I won't say! :eek:

Looks good to me - I penciled in the weekend (okay, okay, I entered it into iCal!) I do want my NE115 Catskill peaks, that'll be my plan!
:)

(costume? oy...)

Jay H said:
However, it is probably going to be archery season in the Cats...

Jay

You know this reminds me, I once saw two guys hauling a deer stand on a rickshaw made of bicycle tires up the ledges on Peekamoose..they told me they were volunteering for a famous ornithologist, but the Elmer Fudd suits made me suspicious.....friends of yours, Jay? Maybe those were thier costumes....

:eek:

The Sundown sites are nice. Good car camping and camp fire area, so this could also be appropriate for friends or family who want to hang out during the day and "guard" the camp or be a tourist. I think the PortoLets are removed by then, though.

I doubt the archery factor will be any issue.

I would like to go this year! Perhaps I can convince Gail to go since she's working on her 35's... :D

Maybe we could do Friday, Balsam Cap, Rocky, Lone or Van Wyck, Table, Peekamoose.

That's right - I still have my devil horns from the Overlook night hike a few years ago. Hmm ...

I am going to try and make this weekend but I might do something I need for the list I really am not working on.

MichaelJ, I have the devils horns from that Overlook night hike too!.

Apinista, No need to sign up, just show up! This is generally a very informal event and a bit more subdued than the official VFTT gatherings, but then again, it's like me, more subdued... In any case, it should be fun and the Peekamoose valley is very pretty in the fall, but can also be very cold, plan accordingly.

Alan: Wait for winter, when we do the Woodhull to Friday traverse!!!

Jay

sounds fun. I was just at the Sundown sites this past Friday. I'll try to make this. I might be interested in Woodhull/Van Wyck. Also, Jay, where are the falls you referenced? I know the LP drops off the NY/NY TC Map 43, but I looked at a topo and didn't see much in the way of falls terrain either.

Not camping, but would like to hike on Saturday and hang out with the gang on Saturday evening.
Trolling for interest in the Woodhull-Van Wyck traverse.

Keb, Cool, like to meet another hudson valley hiker... The falls are off Buttermilk Brook which you can see on the TC map. Basically the falls are visible from the road itself and would be east of the LP/Peekamoose trail.. I'm sure you've driven by it and have seen it before. There are a lot of falls along Peekamoose road but the Buttermilk one is one of the larger ones and has a nice parking lot next to it...

Dr Wu: Cool, hope to see ya there.... Red Beard is welcome to come, although he doesn't look that much a happy person.. :) However, he does have a nice costume... which is the idea for this gathering..

Jay

Jay, we actually met briefly while you were hiking Van Wyck last year after you had emerged onto the trail. We were on our way back from Table-Peekamoose, and we offered you a ride from the trailhead.

Anyway, are these falls the same Vernooy falls you posted a trail condition report on earlier?

Oh yup, I remember that now...

Vernooy Falls is not the same as the Buttermilk Falls I describe here. Vernooy Falls would be an 8 mile hike south from Sundown along the Long Path.. Both are nice falls though and in the same vincinity of Sundown...

Jay