Maine Development

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I downloaded the complete 570 page PDF file (133 Mb) of this proposal. You want it? Here's the link: Plum Creek Proposal I sugget you right click on this link and select "Save Link As" (or "Save Target as" if you still use IE) and then go out for a walk. I have broadband and it took 25 minutes to download.

It's impressive. It's not really a development proposal, it's a land use proposal for 30 years. Most development is concentrated around Moosehead lake and a few other lakes. There's a lot of interesting detail and I couldn't begin to critique the plan with out much more study and local information. Suffice it to say it's food for thought.

Here's the general map on resource use:

aal.jpg

See the next note for links to detailed maps.

One of the most interesting sections is the far right block which is cross hatched. This is called "The Roaches" and is set aside for potential purchase by the State. It's location between state land (Nahmakanta lake), AMC land and the AT puts it in a critical place and in my estimation is worth conserving. If you agree then perhaps this is where you voice ought to be heard.

The next few notes will link maps, mention new hiking trails, and a word on the bulk of the forest ("No development/Working Forest") and what that entails.

Last edited:
Hiking

The proposal incudes easements and a plan to build 55 miles of hiking trails.

On this map the yellow dotte line is the planned trail (blue is for snowmobiles):

aan.jpg

Here's a quote from the proposal (I've highlighted the mountains mentioned):
Purpose
To create a permanent, world-class, Peak-to-Peak trail system around much of
Moosehead Lake, with connections to:

The Appalachian Trail (to form loop trails)
The Tourist Facility in Lily Bay Township
The Proposed Western Mountain trail (to Rangeley)

Scope
The Peak-to-Peak trail route on Plum Creek land follows the height of land
wherever appropriate. There are trailheads along the route to make the trail
accessible and spur trails to link it to key features, again for ease of access. A brief description of the route, beginning at Rockwood, follows: (Please note that the exact route needs to be determined later; this description is approximate.)

From Rt. 6/15 in Rockwood the trail heads south and west, along the Blue
Ridge.

It then turns southeast to cross the West Outlet at the railroad crossing at
Somerset Junction.

From West Outlet it follows the river to Round Pond, before tracking east
to cross the East Outlet at Rt. 6/15.

It then parallels the Kennebec East Outlet River before turning due south,
west of Burnham Pond, to travel to the summit of Big Squaw Mountain.

From the summit, the trail descends on Plum Creek land before crossing
onto Public Reserve Land held by the State.

The next segment of the trail is 9 miles long through Greenville, partly on
Plum Creek land, but not in the Plan Area; the trail crosses Rt.6/15 at
Greenville’s planned Natural Resource Center – an important trail head
with parking, provisions and information center – and then heads north
and east to West Bowdoin College Grant.

North of Rum Pond and south of Upper Wilson Pond the trail climbs the
Blue Ridge, descends to South Brook and then climbs abruptly to the top
of Elephant Mountain.

It then crosses a short segment of AMC land, near Baker Pond, and heads
northeast to skirt the Lily Bay and Number Four Mountain summits, before continuing northeast to Bluff Mountain, and then down to the County Road on the south side of First Roach Pond; a trailhead is located there;

From the east arm of First Roach Pond the trail climbs Shaw Mountain, Long Ridge and Trout Mountain.

After crossing the Roach River between Second and Third Roach Ponds
the trail heads north, off Plum Creek land to publicly-owned land in the
Nahmakanta region, where it could connect up with the Appalachian Trail.

The two spur trails are:
the trail from the proposed tourist facility to the top of Number Four Mountain is 6.75 miles; and

the Bluff Mountain to White Cap trail which links the Peak-to-Peak to the
Appalachian Trail is 6 miles.

(These trail locations are shown on the Resource Plan Summary map and on Detail Maps
in this document.)

Last edited:
No development Working Forest

Here's a quote (in part) of this section. It's hard to identify what is covered by this. Plum Creek says basically it's everything not covered by the developmet plans. IMHO, this is the most important part of the proposal.

The No Development/Working Forest (ND/WF) Zone

Purpose
The purpose of the ND/WF zone to establish a forest management zone where
sustainable forest practices can occur, in unfragmented areas, unimpeded by
development – over a very long time period. Such a zone offers predictability, a
guaranteed “wood basket,” recreational opportunity and resource (natural
character) protection.

Scope
This new zone covers all of Plum Creek’s land in the Plan Area except that
designated for development or protection. This amounts to about 80% of the Plan
Area or about 382,000 acres (or 597 square miles). Another 9% of the Plan Area
is under conservation protections.

Concept
The zone, in effect and in reality, mirrors LURC’s Resource Plan Protection
subdistrict model, while also mimicking the concept behind an M-NC subdistrict,
a LURC district in which all development is prohibited. All residential
development in the ND/WF zone is prohibited. The M-NC designation, like this
proposal, can only be achieved voluntarily, at the owner’s behest.

Description:
The ND/WF zone will be put in place upon approval of this Resource Plan. It is
intended to be in effect for 30 years. There are renewal provisions for successive
20 year periods.

So as to provide for public input at the end of the 30 year period, provision is
made for either Plum Creek (or future owners) or LURC to call for a public
hearing (or hearings) to discuss if the Plan’s ND/WF provisions should be
renewed, modified or terminated. Any such decision to renew, modify or
terminate, however, will be in the hands of the Commission. Furthermore, as
long as this Plan is in effect Plum Creek (or future owners) may not amend the
Plan to allow for any residential development in the ND/WF zone.

Wal-mart conservation grants

In the New York Times today there was an article about Wal-mart donating $35 million for land conservation. The headline was so unlikely that I skipped the article till tonight.

In it there was a mention of some $6.1 milion for land conservation in Maine between holdings in New Brunswick and existing Maine conserved land.
Some $6 million of the money will be spent on an agreement to protect 312,000 acres of contiguous land between 600,000 acres of protected land in New Brunswick, Canada, and 200,000 acres protected by the State of Maine. The purchase will create an area of roughly 1 million acres of protected land, with more than 50 lakes, 1,500 miles of rivers and streams and 54,000 acres of wetlands, home to 10 percent of Maine's famous loon population.

"I cannot overstate the importance of this," John Berry, the executive director of the foundation, said of the Maine agreement. "This is like a Noah's Ark for Eastern wildlife species, everything from big stuff like moose to frogs and salamanders."
So I checked the Bangor News Article and sure enough here is the interesting part:
The Downeast Lakes Forestry Partnership will be among the first beneficiaries, receiving $6.1 million for its 339,000-acre conservation project in Washington County.

With 50 lakes, 1,500 miles of rivers and streams and 50,000 acres of wetlands, the area to be protected "is a veritable Noah's ark for future generations," said John Berry, executive director of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, in announcing the Maine grant Tuesday.

The project, begun by a group of Washington County guides, will lock up development rights while continuing traditional fishing, hunting and logging on the land, said Stephen Keith, executive director of the Downeast Lakes Land Trust in Grand Lake Stream.

"This is the best way of assuring outdoor recreation in the future ... having these lands open to the public and keeping an intact forest available," he said.

The $35 million pledged by Wal-Mart will be administered by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, a private nonprofit group created by Congress in 1984 to leverage federal dollars for conservation projects. The foundation plans to raise another $35 million to match the Wal-Mart money, but said it would start off by putting $8.8 million from Wal-Mart toward a $20.5 million project to conserve land in five locations, including the one in Maine.

The Maine grant is crucial for the Down East effort to place a working forest easement on 312,000 acres and to buy 15,335 acres. More than 12,000 acres already have been purchased, much of it along the St. Croix River, but partners have been struggling to raise the remaining funds needed to close on the project's final and largest component in late May.

Maine's push to conserve its forests with huge easements in recent years has left donors tapped out, said Amos Eno of the New England Forestry Foundation, one of the partners.

With the Wal-Mart funds now assured, only $5.8 million stands in the way of one of the largest land conservation deals in American history, Eno said.

"This is getting us within striking distance," Eno said.
Any of you Mainers know about this group or the area in question? I know down east is a bit out of normal hiking territory.

Pb

Last edited:
It's mostly the hunting/fishing brand of outdoor recreation. There isn't a whole lot of good hiking in the downeast region except the couple of obvious places right on the coast and a few local-type hills.

There are many rivers and lakes worth protecting though and now that IP sold all it's holdings (mostly Downeast) and GMO took them over, there is even more concern about the area's future. For what it's worth, IP is still managing the lands on a contractual basis.

The bit on NPR I heard about the Wal-Mart donation said Wal-Mart's idea was to offset the exact footprint of every Wal-Mart store, warehouse, parking lot, etc. There are feelings that they've impacted many wetland/wildlife areas and have thus pledged to protect the same number of acres in places that need it.

Commendable, but it doesn't fix the long-term societal impacts of the big-box stores (most notably Wal-mart). but I won't start that thread...

As for the Downeast Lakes Forestry Partnership, it's a coalition of several small land-trusts, recreation interests and New England Forestry Foundation. You can read more about it on NEFF's site.

spencer

I read a Wal Mart article yesterday, but didn't get much in the way of details...

I've hiked quite a bit in downeast Maine and am happy to hear about this group - thanks for the info and links papa bear and spencer. I'm a member of the Quoddy Regional Land Trust http://www.mltn.org/trustdetails.asp?id=1261 and it's nice to hear that there is a larger group out there intent on preserving that area. I was dismayed to read a few years ago when way downeast was featured in Yankee magazine that the area was being promoted as "the next Bar Harbor."

Right after that there was a noticeable increase in tourism in the area - not all for the best I might add - RVs overnighting at day use areas, overflowing parking lots, etc. I still notice more people visiting the area, but not like that first year. Cobscook Bay State Park used to be one of Maine's best kept secrets and you could drive up any time and get a gorgeous site on the ocean. Not any more. The gate person always recognized me, though I'd only go there once a year.

I absolutely LOVE the area, and could easily spend two weeks hiking and exploring. Though the area doesn't offer anything for the peak bagger it has many hiking opportunities in gorgeous areas, places to explore, camp, kayak...I'm going in July this year and can't wait.

A friend of mine from another site asked "what to do" in downeast Maine...I avoid Acadia, but sent him four pages of info on "what to do" once you take a left off rte 3 and head to the east'ard.
:)

My bad

I confess that when I see a map like the one PapaBear posted above, my first thought is: "Hey, what's that yellow trail, and when can I hike it?".

This other fellow wants to build a 180 mile groomed XC trail from Newry to Rockwood, with full service huts and saunas every 20 miles or so. So, I find myself wishing that the project will fail right after he secures access and marks the 180 mile trail, but before he buys a groomer or breaks ground on the first hut. Terrible, I know.

Tramper Al said:
I confess that when I see a map like the one PapaBear posted above, my first thought is: "Hey, what's that yellow trail, and when can I hike it?".
Yeah, that looks interesting. The detailed map shows it going over Baker (see the top right corner of Map 8) as well as the peaks mentioned. But I guess there's a down side to everything. Several 3000ers have told me Lily Bay was one of the hardest buswhacks in the entire 770. Now it will be a walk up. But having the area conserved in the no development zone is more important IMHO.

Pb

Last edited: