Maine Hikers Save A Fawn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about protective instincts for the Fisher's family?

If I am standing in line at the supermarket and see someone with a cart full of baby food and pampers I will let them go first...the kid is hungry. Or if a two year old drops his meat loaf I panic, the little guy might go hungry.

I suppose it is how one views a deer and how one views a fisher. I hear the word 'deer' and my mind constructs and image of peppercorn encrusted venison sirloin with a burbon glaze and a side of rosemary roasted potatoes. If I had seen this event I am not sure what I would have done...hold the fawn down for the fisher, scold the fisher for a sloppy plate presentation and no garnish. Either way somebody would take issue with my actions.

;)

I suppose it is how one views a deer and how one views a fisher. I hear the word 'deer' and my mind constructs and image of peppercorn encrusted venison sirloin with a burbon glaze and a side of rosemary roasted potatoes. If I had seen this event I am not sure what I would have done...hold the fawn down for the fisher, scold the fisher for a sloppy plate presentation and no garnish. Either way somebody would take issue with my actions.

You have to give the fisher points for preparing the deer rare. Maybe even a venison carpaccio.

Tim

You have to give the fisher points for preparing the deer rare. Maybe even a venison carpaccio.

Tim

good point Tim. I have seen nonpereil capers in the general stores up there. I love the State of Maine.

Last edited:
;)

Love to eat deer! Not sure anyone's "pro save the fawn," as JustJoe stated. I'm certainly not...unless I'm standing right there and mother instinct kicks in.

And you're right. Someone will take issue with your actions no matter what you do, lol.

I wonder how many of the pro "save the fawn" do or have eaten Veal.:rolleyes:

Just sayin.;)

I don't see any contradiction in this. I eat meat, I hunted or fished and occassionaly even brought home a fish or two and I would also save the fawn if the situation invoked some pity in me.

Just because we eat meat it does not mean we should kill and eat any living thing that comes into our view when we are hungry.

Tim

It is times like this I ask "What would Bobby Flay do". I think the great Iron Chef would add a side of asparagus in a nice white sauce. But I also think he may buck the crowd and go with a fine pan seared venison tenderloin garnished with a fine tasty Maine blueberry sauce. :cool:

Brian

Having lived in a heavily deer populated area and being bitten by a deer tick thus ending up in the hospital for 5 days...I say kill the b*st*rds. Thumbs up to the Fisher!

It is times like this I ask "What would Bobby Flay do". I think the great Iron Chef would add a side of asparagus in a nice white sauce. But I also think he may buck the crowd and go with a fine pan seared venison tenderloin garnished with a fine tasty Maine blueberry sauce. :cool:

Brian

Brian, Brian, Brian...

Bobby Flay would undoubtedly go with his signature chili and cilantro (red & green) oils.

Tim

I have seen nonpereil capers in the general sores up there.

That's got to hurt.

TrishandAlex said:
Actually, the maternal instinct extends past one's own species in a variety of mammals...especially primates...so one could make the argument that saving a baby of any species is natural, if one happens to be hairy and make milk.

There's a video on MSN.com tonight entitled "Bystander rescues drowning monkey."

Last edited:
Moderator Note
We haven't taken a turn for the rude. Time to stop this now. Discuss the situation described in the OP, not the other posters.

Since this thread has taken a turn for the rude, I'll mention this: I sincerely hope Stan and family never encounter a sudden deer while driving a dark narrow road, but I'm afraid karma's boom-a-rangs often work that way.

I wanted to post this prior to leaving for VT on Monday but my keyboard was defunct.

Anyone who feels seriously inclined to involve themselves with wildlife, i.e. life or death struggles, should perhaps think about getting vaccinated against rabies.
Usually it's done after the bite occurs but for those who wish to get really involved they recommend being prepared.
http://www.google.com/search?q=rabi...fficial&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

Last edited: