Maine Loon Cam

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weatherman said:
Do they come back to rest in the nest? My kids wanted to see them.

No, I think they have a "play pen" area in the water near the nest from now until they can fly in a few weeks. And they catch rides on the parent's back. Weatherman, you can show your kids this sequence from a past loon cam in Alaska to give them an idea of what happens.

As for that remaining egg, the biggest immediate danger is probably the lack of heat from incubation. But the adults may have left it behind because it wasn't viable to begin with. I've read that loons will prolong incubation but probably not with a chick to take care of on the water now.

Last edited:
the loon just came back to the egg, but i didn't see the chick because i lost connection...is he there, too?
this stuff is just so amazing.

Hold the phone, maybe there's hope. Here's what the Stokes Guide to Bird Behavior (vol. 3) says: "The young [loons] hatch up to a day apart. The first one to hatch stays on or near the nest until the other has hatched and both have dried. Then they leave the nest with the parents and return to shore only occasionally when the young are cold and need to be warmed by being sheltered under the wing of the parent." It's possible the hatched loon is nearby waiting for the other one to hatch.

Yes! Just got another look, and an adult is back on the nest. Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Saturday 1 p.m. I've been watching for the last 10 minutes or so. At first I thought the second egg was hatching. The image was jerky and the light-dark contrast blurred the picture. For sure, no adults were nearby. Then I realized I was seeing small rodents move around the egg. One scurried off to the rear. I had to shut it off. I hope I didn't see what I think I saw. Ashes to ashes.

Waumbek said:
Saturday 1 p.m. I've been watching for the last 10 minutes or so. At first I thought the second egg was hatching. The image was jerky and the light-dark contrast blurred the picture. For sure, no adults were nearby. Then I realized I was seeing small rodents move around the egg. One scurried off to the rear. I had to shut it off. I hope I didn't see what I think I saw. Ashes to ashes.

I saw about the same thing this morning at about 7:45. Instead of rodents, I saw bugs crawling on the shell. The little loon may have hatched earlier and the bugs and rodents are just cleaning up.....It sounds good anyways. :)