Maine Mountain Adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
Meb and I set out from Freeport on a very cold morning. Our planned adventure for the day was to climb N and S Crocker and Reddington!! We met up with Cath, our fearless driver, who braved CVR and brought us to within a mile of the trailhead. There was another car, and we had high hopes that whoever else got here first was ahead of us breaking trail!

But, when we arrived at the AT, we found that the trail was untouched. :( So, for the first time this winter, on went the snowshoes!! I was happy that they were not going to be dead weight on my back. The first mile of the trail was rather pleasant and we all enjoyed the look and feel of winter….we’d been waiting a long time for this. The second mile of the trail felt like it went straight up. We took turns breaking trail on this vertical section, and Meb got to engage the “lifts” on her very fancy new snowshoes. She noted how much easier it was to go uphill. I was jealous. This section of the trail was killing me. However, all steep mountain trails end, and we soon found ourselves pleasantly wandering on gentle grade again. At this point, Meb kept informing us that “we must be close to the top” and “it’s just up around the next corner” which drove me crazy :eek: It felt much longer than it probably was, but we finally made it to the spur for S Crocker. We bypassed the summit and headed to N Crocker, hoping that the winds would die down by the time we got back. It was a quick journey over and back. I liked this section of trail, for 2 reasons: 1. part of it was broken out by moose and the other part by human and 2. we dropped our packs a little before the summit, so we got a nice break.

Anyway, back atop S. Crocker, I readied myself for the worst part of this adventure…THE BUSHWHACK. I am not a fan of traveling off-trail, I just don’t find it pleasant or fun at all, and Cath and Meb had to listen to me whine for the next hour. Cath has an amazing sense of direction and she’s super fast and she took off and disappeared through the thick vegetation. Fortunately, she was willing to wait for me to catch up many times. Finally we came out onto a snowmobile trail, and we could see the tower on Reddington just up ahead. There was discussion about continuing the bushwhack to the summit, or taking the snowmobile trail, which was a much longer and roundabout way of approaching. I would have walked an extra 4 miles on trail to avoid 4 yards of bushwhack, so we took the trail to Reddington. On the summit, we enjoyed views of Abraham, Spaulding, Sugarloaf and the bigelows. We could even see Katahdin way off in the distance. We made several attempts to open the frozen canister, but our hiking poles were no match for the sub-zero temperatures.

The last 4 or 5 miles were spent on the CVR, which was packed out from snowmobilers. The moon came up and the stars came out and just when I thought I would never see the jeep again…it appeared!! Thanks to Cath and Meb for another excellent mountain adventure. One more to go!!!

bw

you got to be kidding--you bushwacking in maine..i wish i could of seen that :eek

Congratulations!!!

That is reeeaaallly Great!!! I spent 3 days last winter gettin them...but I'm an amatuer :rolleyes:

The only tower on Redington was a rather small metal one laying on the ground last year. What's the one like there now?

Thanks for sharing your Adventure!!!

Awesome hike! I'm so glad winter is finally here. Breaking trail all day long was exhausting..along with the cold and windy conditions made this one I'll remember for a long time. It was great to finally put the new snowshoes to use and I have to say the lifters worked like a charm. :)

If I only had a tape recorder....the grumbling and bumbling by sis was quite amusing. So far we have hiked all the NE48 together and now we only have one left to finish the NE67 list together....yippee!

Here are a few pictures from the trip.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/557181466grAsFx

-MEB

You 3 ladies continue to amaze and inspire me!
Mean girls totally rock!!! :)

What's left on the list?

Hikerfast, there was about a foot of fresh powder down low but as we climbed higher it was more like 1 to 2 feet. :eek: :D :eek:

Christine, we plan on finishing the NE67 list on Old Speck sometime soon :)

-MEB

Supah! I love Old Speck. That tower is kinda scary...
Took me a while to work up the nerve to go up that ladder.
Let me know when!

chinooktrail said:
Supah! I love Old Speck. That tower is kinda scary...
Took me a while to work up the nerve to go up that ladder.
When were you there?

A few years ago the tower was replaced with a much more rugged one.

If you were there before that, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise, just imagine what the rest of us climbed :)