Maintainers Reducing SAR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brushing

Roy is correct. All brush should be cut flush to the ground and ALL branches cut flush to the trunk.
Brushing to me is probably just as important as blazing,maybe more especially in winter.If the recommended 8ft rule is carried out only the side of a tree facing the trail will have the branches cut. If the snow covers the blaze which it often will at higher elevations a hiker just has to look for where the branches were cut to stay on a trail. This hopefully will help cut down SAR.
Snow depths above 8 feet means you are in the branches and in effect have no trail which some of us have experienced at one time or another. And hopefully it will not be a tourist. JMHO.;)

Lack of Knowledge, not Lack of Blazes

Off the top of my head (with little to no research involved), I remember reading in the AMC accident reports that a lot of people get lost (or run out of daylight) caused by the lack of knowledge about the trail (or location), not loosing the trail because they can't find the next blaze. Last year on the Moats, a group, one guy and many girls,(lucky guy :D ) called NHF&G after running out of daylight, not because they lost the trail, but wrongly assuming the trail was a loop that would bring them back to the trail head (every good hiker know the “Ted O’Brian Memorial Trail” is not a looping trail). The same thing happened on Chocorua. This time the group came from the Kanc side, then dropping down the southeast side. Again, the group assumed the trail was a loop.

How many calls come in at dusk because the hiker(s) are astonished that it gets dark at night?

What is the common factor in these cases? The lack of a map, compass, and trail knowledge. Most “Tourist” stick to the herd paths. This is not the problem. It's the average "hiker", with some knowledge, and a bucket full of self-confidence, that gets lost. As long as people go into the woods to walk, SAR people will get called into the woods to find them. Why, because most guys (something having to deal with testosterone levels) have the “It can’t (or won’t) happen to me” attitude.

Expect in the next month (late September into mid October) to have more and more SAR calls. Why? As Yogi Berra said about this time of year…..”It gets late early”

SAR calls dealing with injuries and accidents are a whole different ballgame.

See you on the trail (looking for the next blaze ;) )…..Walker

Last edited:
Not that this will EVER happen there, but I do like the reflective markers they use in the Catskills. They are more easily spotted during the day and are able to be spotted at night.
I have argued for the use of highway sign paint--the reflectors (glass beads) are built into the paint. Looks like normal paint in the daylight, but throws back a very bright reflection toward a flashlight or headlamp at night.

I was also told that the specs for the AT are only that it be marked sufficiently for daytime travel... :(

Doug

Off the top of my head (with little to no research involved), I remember reading in the AMC accident reports that a lot of people get lost (or run out of daylight) caused by the lack of knowledge about the trail (or location), not loosing the trail because they can't find the next blaze.

How many calls come in at dusk because the hiker(s) are astonished that it gets dark at night?

Expect in the next month (late September into mid October) to have more and more SAR calls. Why? As Yogi Berra said about this time of year…..”It gets late early”

SAR calls dealing with injuries and accidents are a whole different ballgame.

I agree with most of these statements, and those by Hikeskibikefish, but it seems that most of our litter carries also have been during "shoulder season." Not enough data to say anything statistical, but ankle injuries to older women have been common causes of litter carries, and "early darkness" certainly a common cause of "lost" male hikers.

Clark Trail

Barkingcat @ # 24,
Clark Trail is blazed in yellow, like all the AMC trails on the east side of that mountain. The orange hangers are new and not standard. Where are they exactly, and does that stretch of trail need more blazing IYO?
Please reply through regular email. Thank you.
Creag nan drochaid

Not enough data to say anything statistical, but ankle injuries to older women have been common causes of litter carries, and "early darkness" certainly a common cause of "lost" male hikers.

And there are actually statistic involved. During research for the course I teach this is what I found out. Without question. Most medical problems (53%) in the wilderness will be due to Strains or Sprains. 64% of those are from the ankle or knee.

From one of my classes.

Trauma will consist of:
27% Cuts and Bruises
53% Strains and Sprains
Out of those Strains and Sprains 64% will be lower leg injuries. Injuries to the ankle and knee.
Trauma accounts for around 80% of all medical

The remaining 20% give or take will be Illness:
60% of those illnesses will be from viral diarrhea.

The lessons learned are pretty simple. Watch your step, and keep your hands clean. Especially before putting them in or near your mouth or anywhere near your or anyone's food.

Just my $.02,
Keith

Last edited:
Knowledge

Walker.I agree most touriste do tend to stay on the trails BUT not all.
My pupose for mentioning proper brushing is that route finding is a skill and understanding how a trail is maintained can be a goog tool.

Sar EMT40:I bet you agree that many injuries are do to tripping and falling and the better the maintainer removes those types of obstacles that can trip or bang into the better.Of course we don't want graded side walks either.

Plastic blazes w/ reflective sheething solved recurring incidents at problem spots on Monadnock, but not all. Where some typical drainages that lost people followed down crossed less obvious trails, strategic placement of blazes on the trail has served to bring quite a few back in.

White Dot Tr. is mostly blazed (on the ledges) with white paint and glass beads.

Where some typical drainages that lost people followed down crossed less obvious trails, strategic placement of blazes on the trail has served to bring quite a few back in.
Funny you mention this. The junction of West Ridge and South Ridge on Cardigan, going up you turn L to stay on WR and go straight to use SR. Well the sign for WR has an arrow pointing L for summit and R for parking, and a number of people have been going down the drainage ditch instead of the trail! [Fortunately they return to trail at next switchback.] I tossed some sticks in, but the only permanent cure would be to saw the sign in half so the destinations could be angled correctly.

arrows...

Roy,
The West Ridge sign at the South Ridge junction came from the state's sign shop several years ago with the arrow pointing wrongly. Last month we chiseled out the arrow; it that doesn't end the bootleg problem the sign itself is going to be replaced, now we have our own router.:eek:
Creag nan drochaid

Roy,
The West Ridge sign at the South Ridge junction came from the state's sign shop several years ago with the arrow pointing wrongly. Last month we chiseled out the arrow; it that doesn't end the bootleg problem the sign itself is going to be replaced, now we have our own router.:eek:
Creag nan drochaid

Thank you! I trust those trail signs and this is one trail that my friend and I are hoping to hike soon. It's an easier one and was hoping my knee would take the joke. Would not have been happy finding my self walking down some drainage.

Last edited:
Refectors are nice in the winter

Relectors are nice to have in the winter. I remember few years ago hiking with some of the responders to this thread on Weeks Range when we had to brush snow off trees to find the blazes for many miles in effort to stay on the trail in winter conditions. Reflectors would have been nice to have.