Marcy/Gray/Skylight 3/11; Nye/Street 3/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
Sunday: What a treat to be back in the Adirondacks again! It's a long haul for Onestep and I to get over there from Maine - but well worth the effort! Today PigPen joined us as we headed in the Van Hoevenberg Trail to Marcy Dam. This was Onestep's second trip to the Daks, and most of my hiking here was 30 years ago when I lived in Albany. Mt Colden was starkly beautiful as we crossed the dam. Onestep was tempted to drop his pack and "zip" up Phelps as we passed, but wisely resisted the temptation. There's a sign now for the herd path to Tabletop! Tons of snow everywhere, but, of course, a highway tramped out to Marcy. With the summit in thick clouds and a stiff wind from the NW, we followed a 275 mag course for Gray, down the boilerplate to the treeline. I think our bushwhacking experience gave us the confidence to head over without a visual bearing, but it was still reassuring to have the clouds lift and find Gray directly ahead! Fortunately we had a much easier time than last weekend's crew that took this approach. The snow was much more consolidated than what they described; and while we found a few high quality spruce traps, we had nothing like the ordeal they reported. To our delight we stumbled upon Peak Bgr's tracks to Lake Tear from the day before. Four Corners was the place to be Sunday-we met at least six parties at this intersection. Peak Bgr's tracks up Skylight were blown in but relatively easily followed. Rays of sunlight would alternately shine on Haystack, Iroquois, and Colden, illuminating them briefly against the dark backdrop... in its way, at least as magnificent as a blue sky day! Heading down Feldspar Brook was a blast, but I agree with Peak Bgr - I could have done without the 500 feet elevation gain up and over to Lake Arnold. Brightening skies and the prospect of supper at the Noonmark helped!

Monday, Onestep and I headed up Nye and Street over a virtual Interstate quality "herd path". This seemed like a typical Adirondack trail - flat approach, then steep uphill! Blue skies, great views from the clearings just before the Nye summit and south of Street's. We marvelled at the huge cedars along Indian Pass Brook! ... This was a nostalgic hike for me; my spouse, Celine, and I climbed these peaks on 4/10/77. It seems impossible that 30 years have passed!!! Too much work and too little hiking in the time between these trips!

A little taste of some "high" peaks this weekend and some lower elevation ones as well. All were fabulous - remote, rugged, inspiring!! We'll be back!!!

Michael!!... the more the merrier! We tend to go low budget - hostels, breakfast at Stewart's (New York equivelent of Cumberland Farms), and the Noonmark Cafe for suppers. Send me your email,@ [email protected] (I hardly ever check my PMs), and we'll definitely keep you in the loop for next Winter! By the way, how do you feel about bushwhacking 3000 fters??!!

Great TR mhrsebago and nice photos onestep.

Very impressive spruce trap photo. wholly moley batman!