Mendon Peak VT - bushwhack to avoid stream crossings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I may be hiking Mendon Peak soon, via the log road that starts near the Bucklin Trail. I have read in Trip Reports that the first crossing of Eddy Brook can be difficult in high water, causing some to get quite wet. It appears that one could bushwhack up the north side of the stream for about a half mile or so and hook back up with the log road. This would avoid the first two stream crossings of Eddy Brook.

I also read in an old TR from Mohamed that the woods along the stream look fairly open, so the whack may not too be hard.

Just wondering if anyone has an impressions regarding doing this bushwhack that they could share.

Thanks and best regards,
Marty

Not sure about the whack, can only suggest that you be careful to be on the correct branch of the road, because there's a fork and I don't remember if it's before or after the first crossing.

The other thing you could do is get creative and go up Bucklin, get on the LT/AT south, then drop west at the tiny cairn onto the herd path down to the top of the old carriage road and thus approach the start of the 'whack from the top instead of the bottom.

But I don't remember if Bucklin has crossings or not. :)

marty said:
It appears that one could bushwhack up the north side of the stream for about a half mile or so and hook back up with the log road. This would avoid the first two stream crossings of Eddy Brook.

Dugan, rocksnrolls and I did this, not on purpose, last summer. There is a junction not too far before the first crossing (big tree in middle with red paint, as I recall), where you must choose between two old logging roads. We were supposed to go right but went left, which went east and up for a while. When it finally turned north, we realized our mistake and 'whacked due south through open woods (a little steep) for a few hundred yards to a point on the official unofficial trail between the second and third crossings. No mud.

Last edited:
We tried this a few years ago when it was high, but not nearly as wet as it has been. The area above the first crossing was extremely mucky, sinking in 8-12 inches into boot sucking mud. Might have been okay a bit higher on the ridge but we did not try it.

Rugger said:
We tried this a few years ago when it was high, but not nearly as wet as it has been. The area above the first crossing was extremely mucky, sinking in 8-12 inches into boot sucking mud. Might have been okay a bit higher on the ridge but we did not try it.

Ahh yes. Good ol' Vermont boot sucking mud. I've had more than my fill of mud doing Big Jay, Pico and Stratton the past couple of weeks :( . Guess I'll just be prepared to take off the boots and wade if necessary.

Thanks to everyone for their replies :D :D

Best regards,
Marty

My first attempt to Mendon (twarted by my sons asthma) was in a November so the first brook crossing required steps on icy rocks, we made it but not in a fun way, after the second brook crossing i realized i needed to turn him around. As we were sitting on a log for lunch a very loud ATV came roaring down from the mountain ( north side of trail - non-Mendon side)...lo and behold he came out of the woods and took a left and headed toward Mendon. So instead of dealing with the water crossings, my son and i decided to see where he came from. the ATV road hits the trail to Mendon at a perpendiculat angle about 100- 200' beyound the second crossing. The ATV trail climbed the hill on the north side...leveled out...then descended to the open field area where Amicus went left side instead of right. On a return trip i went back in this way...instead of dropping down to the right...stay left (looks straight)..as you follow this ATV road always choose to stay to the right, if foilage is sparse you can actually view Mendon across from you. You do log elevation versus the road below, but i found the road rocky, and rutted so it can be an ankle twister..as well as a bit boring!! Eventually...not very long at all...you will descend on the ATV road...muddy portions esp at the bottom can be avoided easily...it T-bones the lower trail...hang a left...i took pics of this area, but probably can't find them...or can't attach them...actually i think they got eaten up when our computer crashed...sorry...ct sparrow

Marty and I and a few friends did this yesterday, and the first water crossing was a little high, but not too bad. Just a little water rushing over the boots.
Thanks all for the help. ctsparrow, I know exactly where you're talking about! I figured those trails were all interconnected. :cool: That road walk was a little bony.

Jason Berard said:
Thanks all for the help. ctsparrow, I know exactly where you're talking about! I figured those trails were all interconnected. :cool: That road walk was a little bony.

Yeah, that solves a big mystery from that hike. I was wondering why the upper portions of the road were so meticulously cleared of brush and blowdowns, whereas the portions between the first and third crossings were not. Thanks for the info.

Marty