Merino Wool Base Layer Top for Summer Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is some terrific information, thank you to everyone contributing! In recent years I've been a huge convert from polypro to natural fibers, but a wool shirt is something that has yet eluded me. Now that I know what's out there and what to look for, I think some shopping will be in order.

I do really, really like silk as an underlayer, but it has that same wears-out-too-quickly problem, especially in the armpits and groin. Wool, or wool and silk together, could be quite the warm, comfortable base layer for winter.
Silk does have the disadvantages that it absorbs moisture readily and can require special care. It seems to be more popular in Europe than on this side of the Pond.

Modern Merino wools are very comfortable against one's skin. (FWIW, Merino is a breed of sheep--the key feature of their wool is that it has a very fine (small diameter) fiber which greatly reduces or eliminates the itchiness traditionally associated with wool.)

REI has a nice "Expert Advice" page on how to choose a baselayer: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/underwear.html

Doug

To be specific the Ibex Shak Lite 1/2 zip is a great garment. It's on sale right now for $78.00 on the Ibex site linked. I have the "Shak Jersey" (not sure the difference, both 1/2 zip and 21 micron) I use it as a heavy base layer or a mid-layer when hiking and wears well casually, too.

I also own the Shak Hoodie, which is excellent.

Last edited:
On the topic of wool but getting away from the base layer, I love wool shirts (Pendleton notably) and wear them hiking as a mid or outer layer in three seasons. They have worn really well ... don't think I've ever gotten rid of one but have a couple hand me downs that are at least two generations old! I don't think they've changed much in style over those generations, either.

The trouble with wool for some people is that it itches ... some people can't wear it at all, no matter how fine. For me, comfort is a function of the quality and weight of the wool and the ambient temperature. I can wear wool next to my skin in winter but don't like it in the summer.

As an alternative for people with such sentivities that they can't wear wool at all, consider alpaca. It is totally different from sheeps wool that there is no allergenic reaction or discomfit. I have a few items for mid and outer wear but have never seen anything for a base layer other than socks, which I like a lot.

Like baseball ... maybe we ought to have a throwback hiking day when we wear old traditional clothing ... we might rediscover how the world survived the millenia on natural materials. ... hmmmm, wonder if that could include denim ...

I like merino wool. I bought a couple of Icebreaker shirts when I was in New Zealand. Yes, they are pricey, but now I find that you can get them on sale. I sweat a lot whether it's polypro or wool, but what I like about wool is that it doesn't get clammy like polypro and it doesn't ever get stinky. The merino is not itchy!

When I started doing winter hiking, I had a wool long sleeved zip neck shirt that was made by a Norwegian company and I found them very warm and breathable.

...I'll suggest checking out the Wickers line of merino/rayon clothing at Sierra Trading Post.

An update on wool t-shirts from a merino wool "newbie".

Having lived in the far west (Eastern Sierra) for the past seven years, I'd been spoiled by being able to wear cotton in all but the winter months, so when I moved back east I bought 2 shortsleeve polypro shirts (Terrramar) which I've now worn a few times.

I started with a Wickers merino wool shirt from STP and it wasn't a good experience. They botched the order, but eventually it showed up. The seams started to separate immediately and by the time it was washed three times it looked rather seedy and had a few small holes. I didn't abuse the shirt - washed it in an HE front loader, dried it on a plastic coat hanger, etc. I couldn't detect much difference in comfort between a 'regular' polypro shirt and this merino/rayon mix. So, thinking it might be because it was about a 50/50 mix, I decided to buy a couple of 100% merino wool tees on sale at REI made by Smartwool, and have now worn them on about 8 hikes. They are of good quality, what we expect from Smartwool.

So - the question is - on the whole, did I find the merino wool more comfortable/better suited for warm weather hiking? Over all, maybe ... but it certainly wasn't clear-cut. I was especially curious about the comfort level yesterday when it was cool with low humidity and a strong breeze on the summits. After a steep pull up the Beaver Brook, and a mellow meander along the ridge before leaving the trees, nearly everyone heading down (and we met at least 30, mostly thruhikers) was wearing everything they owned, so was prepared for another layer. As it turned out, I didn't need it, but the conditions did give me an opportunity to compare whether a sweaty wool shirt would feel better than a sweaty polypro in dry air with chilly, windy conditions. Again - I didn't find the differences noticeably better.

My conclusion re: short-sleeve wool tees - there's a real 'feel-good factor' knowing that you may be helping a wool farmer in New Zealand rather than Monsanto. Sorta like putting in solar panels or buying a Prius. But, I'm not taking my shortsleeve polypro shirts to GoodWill.

As for the longsleeve tees - those will be a real test once winter comes. I got good deals on three, including a Smart wool, an Ibex and an Icebreaker.

The biggest difference between polypropylene and wool is polypropylene gets stinky after a few hours. Both work extremely well for me as far as quick drying and warmth when wet. I wash the wool in the washing machine using the Nikwax Wool Wash and dry it on low in the dryer with no visible signs of wear yet. The oldest ones are two years old and still look good. If I could I'd wear wool everything. I have a couple Pendleton wool shirts and a pair of green wool pants that must be twenty years old and still going strong. Initially it is expensive but over the long haul it may be one of the better investments you can make IMHO.

:confused: I recently bought a "100% Pure Merino Wool REDRAM Everyday Merino Thermal Underwear" tee shirt. This past week I wore it alone with nylon shorts. Granted I sweat, but it wasn't hot and this wasn't a huge hike. This shirt held water like that was it's purpose, to the point where the front was so soaked it soaked down through to the top of the shorts and I ended the hike looking like someone had dumped 2 gallons of water down the front of me :mad:. So I'm not sure what I'm missing, but the wool is going into the drawer.

If I find one on a clearance rack somewhere, I'll try the merino wool. I've come to the conclusion, I'm not a warm weather hiker. Oh to be 21 again (back in the early 80's) when shorts of the era and a cotton tank top would have been a good choice. (I'd get arrested for wearing that stuff now & they don't come in a XXL, thankfully.)

Define sweat a lot, I'd define it for you but I haven't thought of a nice way of saying it. (let's see, nothing wicks fast enough or absorbs enough to prevent my knees and calves from getting wet from sweat & you're correct, knees don't sweat much....:eek::eek::eek: & while being XXL doesn't help, it was the same 60 pounds ago & 20 years ago)

I'll be out tomorrow, Monadnock unless I come to my senses & go elsewhere on Labor Day weekend, in a sleeveless T & likely light shorts. Anxiously awaiting Fall......

Define sweat a lot, I'd define it for you but I haven't thought of a nice way of saying it.

I'm about 13 pounds overweight and not in the worst or best shape of my life, currently. So whatever that means, I sweat more than someone in great shape would, but my knees don't get wet ;). To compare, I really think the cotton tee I wore this past weekend performed better than that REDRAM merino tee did the prior weekend and I KNOW my cheap nylon/poly tees dump water better. So my take-away is don't buy a "100% Pure Merino Wool REDRAM Everyday Merino Thermal Underwear" tee shirt.