Merriman State Forest, Bartlett Mtn., transitioning snowshoe hare, April 13 '08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
The southern slopes of Bartlett Mtn. looked melted from Mt. Cranmore. I hiked up the Kearsarge Trail on Mt. Kearsarge North until I was near the elevation of the summit of Bartlett Mtn. Most of the southern slopes of Bartlett Mtn. are within the Merriman State Forest. There are no trails to or within this state forest. Sweet!!!

The Kearsarge Trail goes through beautiful old pines. This area is almost melted for the season.

bartlettmtn41308080.jpg

nice old red pines and hemlocks...

bartlettmtn41308084.jpg

Once I hiked to an elevation that appeared to be as high as Bartlett Mtn. I left trail and made my way down a saddle to the brook, which was running heavy. The snow was still knee-deep near the drainage brook. I then began hiking toward the summit of Bartlett Mtn. I found the NF boundary, so I knew I was entering the Merriman State Forest. The snow was only ankle deep as I neared the summit. I was creeping along because there was a lot of deer sign and I was hoping to see some. Then, a snowshoe hare scared the bleep out of me. Why do they wait until I almost step on them to flush?!!! She was under a small hemlock shrub and darted out, and then stopped a few feet away on snow.

bartlettmtn41308093a.jpg

I think she wanted to blend in with snow, knowing she was still mostly white. Her coat shows the spring transition from winter-white to summer-brown.

Soon, I was free of snow and near the top of Bartlett Mtn. Choirs of angels were singing...

bartlettmtn41308118.jpg

There are many open ledges on this slope, with views from Hurricane Mtn. and Cranmore Mtn., across the valley to the Moats...

bartlettmtn41308132.jpg

There are some glacial potholes, which tell the tale of ancient glaciers filling the valley during the last Ice Age. As the glorious Sun melted the glaciers, lakes formed on top of the glaciers. Water poured off the sides of the glaciers and pounded down on the bedrock, forming these potholes...

bartlettmtn41308124.jpg

There are so many ledges with views to enjoy as you descend. The dark mound in the foreground is a huge bear dropping...

bartlettmtn41308148.jpg

The bear actually dumped right on top of deer droppings. Check the contents; wonder where the bear found sunflower seeds :rolleyes:

bartlettmtn41308141.jpg

I decided to leave the endless ledges and explore the more flat ground to the east. As I looked down at it I heard some large animal moving through, but I never saw it...

bartlettmtn41308159.jpg

I made huge zig-zags all the way down, enjoying the warm sunshine and snow-free hiking at last!!! I couldn't find that large animal. Toward the bottom there was more snow and tons of deer tracks and wild turkey tracks...

bartlettmtn41308162.jpg

OK, it's gonna be alright. Spring is really happening. It's real. It's all good.

happy spring :)

Last edited:
Awesome! I've wanted to check out Bartlett Mountain for some time now, but never ended up on Kearsarge North with the right bushwacking conditions.

There used to be a CCC ski trail on Bartlett years ago if I recall correctly.

Great report, Forest . We rent seasonally ( my kids ski race) just at the base of Bartlett Mtn. I have poked around a bit but have never been sure I reached the top; I don't think so quite. There is an old sign near the Eagle Ridge end of things saying "Kearsarge 3 miles" but not much of a trail. Pretty open woods though. There is also an old trail slightly north which goes up another part of the mountain, off an XC ski trail. Soon I will try to get up to Kearsarge from the Bartlett Mtn side.. last time I went up there was too much snow to do too much, but now should be ok , if I can figure it out.

lamerunner said:
I have poked around a bit but have never been sure I reached the top; I don't think so quite.
You'll know when you're at the summit. Looks like this:

lamerunner said:
Great report, Forest . We rent seasonally ( my kids ski race) just at the base of Bartlett Mtn. I have poked around a bit but have never been sure I reached the top; I don't think so quite. There is an old sign near the Eagle Ridge end of things saying "Kearsarge 3 miles" but not much of a trail. Pretty open woods though. There is also an old trail slightly north which goes up another part of the mountain, off an XC ski trail. Soon I will try to get up to Kearsarge from the Bartlett Mtn side.. last time I went up there was too much snow to do too much, but now should be ok , if I can figure it out.

I should say that the mountain has no hiking trails that show on modern maps.
This 1956 map shows a few trails. Looks like Mt. Kearsarge was then known as Pequawket Mtn. I've been considering bushwacking the area between Mt. Kearsarge and Peaked Hill, so I'll look for that old trail.

LR, maybe the trail you see is the one on this map?

happy trails :)

Trail in Merriman state park

Anyone want exact directions to the old Bartlett Mountain Trail from the valley send me a private message.