"Mini-Flume"-Waterville Valley

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onesong

Reaction score
I arrived in Waterville last Friday @ 6:30pm and with just a couple of hours
before dark, decided to a quick jaunt in to a mini flume that was reported on
in Backpacker last year. It is reached via the Livermore to Greeley Ponds to
the Flume Brook trails. Only about 3 easy miles in, it is remote in that it is on
a dead end trail that sees very little traffic. It's worth the time and effort to
see a 100 ft. chasm that seemingly few people even know about. Also there's
an excellent campsite about 1/2 mile up Flume Brook trail.

There are a number of local paths in WV that are well worth seeking out: the Kettles Path and the network of trails on Snows Mountain, including the one along Cascade Brook are all interesting. There is a small book for sale that lists them all. I don't know where it can be bought since the Jug End store closed.

Onesong said:
Only about 3 easy miles in, it is remote in that it is on
a dead end trail that sees very little traffic.
I've only been a short distance up this trail myself (on skis), but I've been told that shortly before the flume, there is a skidder road up to the right that continues up to upper Livermore Road. The point of connection to Livermore Road is fairly obvious and has a sign a short distance in.

Keep telling myself that I should ski it some day, but I keep being seduced by the Kancamangus Brook (ski) trail...

Doug

The skidder road is there and last fall there was a fairly new sign marking it, just down from the Flume. It is called "Old Skidder Path". I've noticed that it doesn't appear on all maps. I went that way last fall, before going up the North Slide on Tripyramid. A more interesting way than just going up Livermore Road.

Waterville Valley trail maps

Audrey -- there is a pretty good trail map to the Waterville Valley trail network available. It's produced, I think, by the Waterville Valley Athletic and Improvement Association (WVAIA), and has a 1:40,000 scale map of the region on one side, and a 1:15,000 scale map -- with much more useful detail -- on the other. We've found it invaluable on all the small hikes in WV.

We bought ours at the Jugtown Store in Waterville's Town Square (continue up route 49 past the Tripoli Road which runs up to the ski area; you'll see the town square across the pond on the left). I think it runs $2.50.

Our current favorite short hike in WV is the Cascades Trail up to Fletcher's Cascade (leaves from the Drake's Brook Trailhead just south of town off Rt 49). It's a nice woods-walk with lots of terrain variations, and ends at a lovely cascade.

I've also been mountain biking the Livermore Road a lot this summer and surprised a small black bear just below the South Tripyramid Loop two weeks ago... the next afternoon, coming down from the Welch - Dickey trailhead, we saw another bear crashing through the brush on the side of the road. They're all over this year!

If I remember correctly the Cascades Trail starts at Snow Mt. Ski area Parking Lot - north end and goes up the development road about 100 yards and then there is a sign and into the woods you go, in a bit you pass a bunch of cascades and then I swing over to Livermore Road using another ski/lumber/woods road at the top of the cascades. Numerous pools and cascades to feast the eye and sooth the body. Fletcher Cascade Trail goes off the Drakes Brook Trail about .5 mile in. What I do is go up to Fletcher Cascade, then backtrack to the confluence of the two brooks and ford the brooks (check it out on the way up) bushwack about two minutes beyond Drakes Brook on ther other side and you will come to the Drakes Brook Trail which I then utilize for my ascent of Jennings Peak/Sandwich Dome. Look at my photos E01-E13 to see Fletcher Cascade on my hike there. Look at my photos F02-F10 to see my photos of the Cascade Trail en route to Tripyramids.

DrewKnight: When you are in the area - confirm if I'm right. But the trail sign in E02 says Fletcher Cascade Trail. The trail sign in F02 says Cascade Trail.

Last edited:
Aaron, I am pretty sure you're right, my brain-fade. We have done both hikes... Cascades Trail once last summer, and Fletcher's Cascade twice.