Modifying gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I DO feel a LITTLE insignificant compared to Lawnsale, but I did stitch a little Velcro button to my baseball hat and then glued the other corresponding piece to a small photon microlight.

I was really proud of this til I realized the damn thing didn't work right.
It seems, because I put it under the bill, the glare drove me nuts. So I removed it and restitched it on TOP of the bill right at the edge. (any further back from the lip of the bill would cause a shadow, further forward would blind you).
It works OK.

Not so much, really

I put cord locks on some ditty bags that just had drawstrings. Does that count?

Being a "seamster" (a dude that's able to sew) I've made lots of stuff. Much of it has been a terrific failure! Some has been a raging success... One example of a failure is my ultra-ultra-light sleeping bag/bivy cover. Seems the silicone nylon is so slick the bag is like an amusement park ride. Unless you are on perfectly level ground (rrright), there's no telling where you will end up by the next morning. :eek: I won't go into the other failures. :eek: OTOH, my tarp/tent has been an unmitigated success. :) It's basically a medium large tarp made from an old silnylon poncho & other scrap silnylon that has awnings on each end so that you can pull it down to the ground on all sides, like a squashed tepee, in really bad weather. :D

Hey L. S.

Should I be proud or pissed if my kids grab a prime piece of gear from the recycling shop before I get to it? :D :eek: :D

I hike, ski, & ride using someone else's unwanted items. Their toss is my gain!

Pete_Hickey said:
I think I told you about my non-camelback water bladder. In order to keep it from freezing, I sewed a 'pocket' that I wear around my neck so that I can hold it insode my coat. I gave up storing it down my pants, and running the hose out the fly.

Hahaha, tears in my eyes!! I saw Timmus's drawing awhile back without knowing the context, now I finally got it.

Last edited:
tonycc said:
I have modified all my packs to have a whistlelock buckle on the sternum strap.
whistlelock.jpg

Can be bought from these guys:
http://www.questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm

I also don't hesitate to sew on extra pockets to any of my gear.

Tony

Seems now lots of packs are coming standard with these things...all my osprey packs have them.

M

I like having a watch handy, but don't like to wear one. I've taken a cloth watch band and sewn a loop on it which slides through the sternum strap. I've also sewn a tighter loop on the other end (so that the entire strap is now only 2 inches long, which the pin for the watch fits through. This way there is no buckle or velcro to loosen, the watch is not dangling and smashing into the rocks and trees I get too close to :p and the watch (usually an off-brand with a face that has BIG numbers) can be replaced as necessary.

Last edited: