Mohonk Preserve, NY- a trip to the "GUNKS"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
After much commiserating for days via phone and e-mail, Alpinista and I agreed on a trip to the Mohonk Preserve in NY, "aka" the Gunks. Now I know next to nothing about NY hiking spots, so I agreed on Alpinista using her planning genius for this one. :rolleyes:

Turns out she had climbed those real steep Trapp Cliffs very often in her cliff climbing days, and hiked and run the trail network there. So she said she knew it well.......and she did!

After driving down to my moms place Friday and arriving early in the evening, (Alpinista lives in Bay Ridge not far from my Mom), Alpinista showed up there at 8:30 PM, after work, with an armload of NY hiking books, maps, and printouts. We then proceeded to eat and eat and eat Italian food. :eek: As we ate lots of dinner we also planned the hike........we agreed to meet up at my Moms house again and leave at 8:00 AM Saturday morning and head out.

So with a do list from my Mom handed to me early in the morning, we actually left at 10:00 AM...... :D and headed out through NYC's network of highways and somehow, Alpinista, hauling down the highway with the top down on the BUG in brilliant sunshine, got us to the NYS Thruway. We arrived at New Paltz, NY around 1230 PM, an awesome little resort town near the Gunks.

I was amazed at how cool the Trapps Ridge appeared from 7 miles away! I could not wait to get there! So Alpinista of course had been correct (again) to pick this as my first NY hike!! :D We cruised down highway 299 to NY 44-55, and arrived at the Visitor Center around 1:00 PM, parked the Bug and checked in for our passes for the trail system. They cost a few bucks (I am cheap so so I stuck her with paying - HAHA :rolleyes: ).

The visitor center was manned by a very nice older woman who gave us a tour of the ridge and trail system using a very well detailed model of it, explaining routes and hikes and trail run routes and distances to us. Her assistance was well received.

Alpinista and I are deep into training programs for separate marathons in the Fall of 2007, so we decided to combine this trip into a hike and trail run. We picked an awesome route, climbing the the East Trapps Connector Trail which is 4/10's of a mile, and then running/walking the Undercliff Road and the Overcliff Road which combined is a 4.7 mile loop with spectacular views of the distant(?) Catskills and the Trapps Cliff.

We started out at approximately 1:15 and headed up the suprisingly steep and stone stepped, yellow blazed East Trapp Connector Trail. We passed this huge boulder on the way up. A group of about 20 woman on a hike passed us going down to the visitor center. When you reach the top of the trail you see the amazing Trapps Cliff.

Since we are using different marathon programs we agreed to start together and then meet up when completed. We could stay in contact by phone if needed. Upon reaching the Undercliff Road, we reviewed the route and plans and took off. I was doing 2 circuits (9.4 miles) according to my program, and Alpinista, one circuit of the trails (4.7 miles), which is what her marathon training program called for that day.
What a route, you can't help but watch the climbers and boulderers going through their paces on those cliffs and rocks as you go by, and then when you reach the Overcliff Road get awesome views of the terrain to the north, west and South, besides that amazing cliff on the other side of your route!! As I made the second circuit and was about 3/4s done of course, as is my lot in life lately when I get on the trail, it started a light rain and I could hear thunder nearby. Alpinista then called and said get the heck back quick!!

By the end of this we were beat from the trails and the humidity, not so much the heat, and barely made the escape before the distant thunder storms, which were clearing everyone off those cliffs and trails quickly, made their appearance. :eek:

We returned via the East Trapps Connector, much easier going down than up, and cleaned up at the visitor center. We also thanked the woman who was so helpful to us prior to leaving, and of course bought stuff at the gift shop.

Then we stopped for a few celebratory beers at the local climber/hiker hangout- The Mountain Brauhaus Restaurant in Gardiner, NY. This is an excellent place- make a stop there if you visit! However, we did not eat much there, my MOM called and said she had tons of food waiting in Brooklyn for us, Pizza, lasagna, salads, oh YEAH!!! :) :)

And such was my first NY trail hike and run. I will go back to the Mohonk Preserve and Gunks again, most definitely this Summer!

No Pics- both Alpinista and I LEFT the cameras in Brooklyn!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed your first NY hike. Nice report. You really can't go wrong at Mohonk. There is such a wide variety of stunning scenery and activities. There are old carriage roads throughout the Preserve and Resort which will provide a lot of good trail running. And there are plenty of great rock scrambles and other foot paths when you want some uphill hiking. No doubt you will be checking out Minnewaska State Park and Sam's Point Preserve as well. The Gunks rock! :D

Minnewaska State Park is one of my favorite places to hike/bike/ski/swim/run !! I have many fond memories of the Gunks and a little pic on my wall to remind me of thier beauty. :p

Glad you enjoyed it so much, the Gunks are truly unique in thier ecology; and New Paltz is such a fun little town -- the perfect blend of atheletes, hippies and Greens; its often referred to as the "Boulder of the East".

Gertrude's Nose is my hand's down favorite hiking trail there. The Brews at Gilded Otter Rock! Check them out next time!

Also of note, MJ and I recently stayed at the New Paltz Hostel, and it was clean, quiet, and well run. ;)

Nice TR! :)

Last edited:
It had been about 10 years since I was last at the Gunks, and at that point in my life, I was into the rock climbing scene. I had forgotten how crazy a scene it can be, sort of like hanging out at an outdoor cafe in Paris: You hear all sorts of languages (German, French, some Italian, English naturally). And I love hearing the clanging of the caribiners, the laughter and banter. And I'd forgotten how steep that friggin' approach is to the cliffs! I was just thankful I wasn't carrying any climbing gear this time!

The trail run was much easier on my legs than the hard pavement of Manhattan and Brooklyn streets, so this was a nice diversion!

There's a pretty good Indian restaurant close to the Thruway. I don't recall the address but it's simply called the New Paltz Indian Restaurant or some boring title. I've also had good meals at P&G's and the Bauhaus there...

I like Minnewaska, I just can't get how expensive the actual Mohonk Preserve is to hike it so I've never been there... And I tend to try to go to those places on a weekday and not a summer weekend....

There are plenty of nice small places in the lower hudson valley to explore, but just don't tell everybody!

Jay

Nice TR. That loop is a typical, and excellent introduction to the Shawangunk Ridge. For us locals, it's kind of a "nothing better to do-not that much time-can't get somewhere else" hike/run. I try not to take the Gunks for granted though, and seeing/hearing/reading the reaction of a person new to them is a great way to remember how truly special the place is.

A nice variation on that loop is to substitute the Old Minnewaska Trail for Overcliff Carriageway. At the end of Undercliff, at the Rhodondendron Bridge intersection, you go past Overcliff, and continue on Laurel Ledge Carriageway a short distance to the OMT. The OMT basically parallels Overcliff at a lower contour, but is more rugged, and more interesting, a little longer I believe, and still has some nice views of the Catskills. You take the OMT to Split Rock, a popular swimming hole on the Coxing Kill. Then you take the short but lovely Shongum Path back to the West Trapps Connector near Trapps Bridge. From there you head back on Undercliff to the East Trapps Connector. Or you can just do this hike from the West Trapps lot on RT 44/55.

And yes, New Paltz is pretty fun, I must admit. :D

Matt