Montrail Torre GTX wearers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I think a fair bunch of you fine folks here use these? I just bought a new one from REI using my dividend and the 20% coupon and was wondering cause it looks like Montrail changed a little bit of the newer Torres than mine which I think is about 3 years old. along the inside edge just above the rubber sole there are two pieces of leather with a seam between them. Well my left shoe, the stitching is completely shot and it leaks like a sieve. I'm looking at pictures here:

MON0008.jpg

And it looks like Montrail made it one piece now without the seam. In the picture, the dark brown leaather that runs the length of the side to over the toes but above the toe guard is now one piece whereas my old Torre GTX, it was two and sewn and obviously a point of failure. Hopefully this new pair will last longer! The sole though however, is kind of worn so I felt decent enough considering I got the pair for like $80 at Campmor. Does anybody with the newer Torres confirm that this is now a one piece leather?

Jay

I have that model....look at my post in the "boot repair" thread.........it's still gonna seperate.....

I love these boots comfort wise, but I wonder how well they hold up too...
I had to have one of the metal grommets replaced in after about three months - came right out. A good thing about REI and EMS at least is they take care of this stuff...mine were repaired for no charge...
Not sure on your original question without looking at them at home...

Keeping' on: I'll check that out.

Sapblatt: I've read a post about the metal lace clip thingy (maybe it was yours!) falling out.. I've haven't had that happen before and I've yanked on it pretty strongly myself (usually when the laces are frozen and I have to lace them up in winter).

I actually need that pair of boots for this weekend's hike and my new REI ones aren't supposed to arrive til the 15th so I took a sewing needle and some thread and took the flapping piece of leather and sewed it flat to the boot so hopefully it wont be too leaky. This weekend is supposed to be 60degrees in the NYC area which means roughly 40-50 in the catskills which means melting snow...ack!.. and wet feet.

Jay

Last edited:
They are pretty good boots for the price. I have only had wet feet in them once, and since my repair I have stayed bone dry in them. One thing I can say is that Montrails customer service is lacking. When I called them to inquire on HOW to fix the boot they told me I was out of warranty and I would have to pay for any repairs (that's fine the boots are 2-3 years old). I told them that was fine and then asked again what type of product COULD be used to fix the boot. They again told me that I'd have to pay for repairs and this time they included the fact that I was responsible for all shipping charges to and from the factory..........In any event, I hung up and tried the gorilla glue fix. Lucky for me, it worked!

How new is the new model? I just picked up my 2nd pair of them last Fall and they look the same as the ones I bought 4 years ago.

So far no leaking. My old ones seemed to get me more wet, probably a tear in the Goretex lining somewhere.

I don't like the fact that it is two pieces, but I simply can't find a pair of boots that fit my feet better.

-Shayne

sapblatt said:
I had to have one of the metal grommets replaced in after about three months - came right out.

One of my boots is missing TWO of the metal lace things... one happened on the 100-Mile Wilderness and the other happened shortly thereafter. I only had the boots a couple of months and the grommets look as though they are rusting. However, they are probably not built to be soaking wet for seven days straight either.

I still like the boots and find them to be very comfortable. I will probably buy another pair in the spring (I intend to continue using the old ones until the next grommet falls out.) But I don't think they are really made for the amount of hiking that I, or a lot of people on this site, do in a few months.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Hmm, I just bought a new pair of the Montrails in January to replace my 3 year old pair. I will have to check them out tonight and compare. My old boots got pretty hard usage and other than having the rubber protector over the toes get shredded off I never had a problem with the boots. All the grommets and metal lacing thingees and still attached and in good shape.

I'll take a look at mine tonight. They're about 3 or 4 years old. I am ready for another pair, and right now think I'll buy the same boots because they fit (my hard to fit foot) so well. I looked at them recently at EMS, but do not recall any design changes. The only seperation I've had has been where the leather joins the rubber sole (see the boot repair thread). Even with this seperation, I have not had any leakage from the boots. I have never had anything else fail on them. Given that I am putting my 240lbs plus gear on top of them, I think they have served me very well.

I will take a look at both pairs I own tonight and let you know, Jay.
I personally love these boots.

The first pair lasted 600-800 miles, maybe more. They climbed Whitney and lasted through 6-7 months of hiking across the country before dying during the first week of a wet and muddy Long Trail thruhike.

The pair that replaced them has not seen much use as I have switched to hiking in low cut boots now. The first pair did fall apart at that seam but I cannot complain because they did serve me so well for so long and are the most comfortable boots I own.

sli74

sli74 said:
I will take a look at both pairs I own tonight and let you know, Jay.
I personally love these boots.

The first pair lasted 600-800 miles, maybe more. They climbed Whitney and lasted through 6-7 months of hiking across the country before dying during the first week of a wet and muddy Long Trail thruhike.

sli74

You people that weigh well under 200 pounds kill me! I am lucky to get 300-400 miles out of anything! :)

Being small has a lot of advantages, especially when bushwacking!

Now that my sew job keeps that piece of leather close to the boot, I might go out and buy some gorilla glue and see if that is effective. I'm bushwacking in the catskills this weekend where there is going to be some decent snow and the temps are arising. Ack.

Oh, thanks everybody for the help, in advance!

The only pair of shoes that probably has more miles than my Torres is my bike shoes that are 7 years older than the Montrails and for which I commute to work in. It must have over 15k miles on it!

Jay

Bummer there were some problems with yours. I've had a pair that have held up the past two years under heavy use. Best fitting and most durable boot I've ever owned. However, I'm switching to trailrunners when the season gets warmer.