Moosilauke - 11/11/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics Dave, on one of my favorite mtns as well. I discovered the Asquam Ridge and Benton trails last time, and they are now my favorite routes. The meandering nature of Asquam Ridge made it easy for me to take everything in. Same with the Benton trail, and the view of Tunnel Brook Ravine was the best surprise of the day.

Could you describe the pain of your plantar fascitis? I am beginning to wonder if I have it as well. Sometimes my feet suffer incredible pain, especially on long, flat stretches (or any trip over 12 miles). I describe the pain to my family and they think it is the beginnings plantar fascitis, and I hope not. Next week I'm going to the doctor, so maybe I can get it checked out.

grouseking

Hi Dave,
Nice pictures. I think I met you folks as I was getting back and you were just heading out. I had a small flag on my pack and you said "happy veterens day" as we passed. Funny thing was I thought that looked like you from your avatar and almost asked you, but figured nah it couldn't be.
Happy Trails, Dave

Yup, I remember the flag and saying that to you. Another VftT connection! You must have gotten out early in the morning to be finishing up around 10:00 AM?!

The most common symptom of Plantar Fasciitis seems to be pain along the bottom of your feet, back towards the heel, when you first step on the floor in the morning. It feels better if you walk on your toes. If you have that, it's probably PF. Here's a good summary of and treatments for PF.

-dave-

Nice photos Dave! I climb Moosilauke 1-2 times a year, but I've only ever used Glencliff or Beaver Brook trails. Looks like I need to try a few other routes! There's something about the summit of that mountain...its quite different from any other summit. From my house, I can see the summits of Smart's, Cube, and Moosilauke, and its cool to watch them change from brown to white ( and back again :mad: ) thi time of year. Before this warm weather, all three were white at the top. Hopefully it won't be long before they're white again :D

There is a view on Moosilauke?????? I am telling you I don't believe it.

New camera?

- darren

Yup, a Canon S3 IS with Lensmate 58mm extender tube and polarizing filter.

And racing stripes. ;)

-dave-

Jealous

Great pics, Dave - even the ones of me aren't too bad ;) - so jealous of the polarizing filter!

'Twas a great day - hopefully we can repeat it this weekend, although your feet and my knees may be carrying a little extra (stuffing) weight!

grouseking said:
Could you describe the pain of your plantar fascitis?

As Dave mentioned - the pain is most pronounced first thing in the morning when getting out of bed - or after sitting for long periods of time. It gets really tight and needs to be stretch out - once your walking after 30 minutes or so it get's warmed up and the paing goes away.

I've had it in both feet - 3 years ago in the left foot - went to foot doc who gave me a course of ordizone shots over 3 weeks to bring down the irritation. I was then fitted for custom orthodics to wear in street shoes and told to use running shoes with good stability. A month later I had no more problems. A year later I stopped using the orthodics - well 2 years later same issue on the right foot - probably from lots of soccer (soccer cleats have virtually no support) and not resting it after it started bothering me. Back to the doc - only 1 shot needed this time and a new set of orthodics - month later - no problems!

There are lots of exercises you can do to help cure it but for my money - go see a foot doctor right away - well worth it!

I second the recommendation to see a podiatrist - if you think it's a foot related cause. A friend actually had a problem with a tendon from ankle/calf area, and was lucky to find a podiatrist honest enough to say he couldn't help her.

You can test if it's the plantar fascia by pushing on the sole of your foot at the "bottom" (if toes pointed up) center (left/right) of your arch/just above where the heel begins. If this is excrutiating :eek: , you probably have plantar fasciitis. My podiatrist diagnosed me in seconds by doing this. If it's structural problem with your foot, orthotics may be the cure (were for me) along with NSAIDS like ibuprofen. Overuse issues may take longer rest, exercises, and/or cortisone.