Moosilauke and Waumbek, After-The-Storm Adventure, 9/3/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
September 3, 2011: Moosilauke & Waumbek – Double Hit & Run

Trails: Moosilauke = Beaver Brook Trail, Waumbek = Starr King Trail

Summits: Moosilauke, Waumbek

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

This was planned to be Day #1 of a two-day back-to-back hiking trip to the Whites. Each of these mountains is relatively short and easy hike; but put them together and they make for a full day. Sue and I like full days.

We pulled into the trailhead lot for Beaver Brook Trail in Kinsman Notch generally as planned. We found four or five others that had camped at the trailhead overnight and it looked like we might be their wake-up call. As we were about to grab our things and take off the sound of thunder started up so we decided to wait for a few minutes. The sky to the west and southwest was very dark and we wanted to see if it was all bark and no bite. After a short time the thunder stopped and we grabbed our packs and took off.

The hike from the trailhead lot to the base of the cascades was a surprise. I expected to see some damage from the recent storm but everything looked great. There was no sign of trail work done to clear blowdowns. I assume there was no storm damage, at least to that point. Warm-up was quick and easy due to the relatively warm temperature and high humidity. By the time we started the climb along the side of the cascades we were both up to temperature. I was getting pretty drenched with perspiration.

The trail continued to be in great shape. The cascades were nice, but not at all crazy. Their flow was similar to late spring; still fun to look at but not at all dangerous. We enjoyed clear trail all of the way past the spur to the Beaver Brook Shelter and on to the Asquam Ridge Trail junction. Even on the final approach to the ridge trail junction we found very little mud.

I expected we would find a blowdown mess waiting at the blowdown field between the ridge trail junction and Mt. Blue. It didn’t happen. In fact, it appeared the storm never came through. Even the mud pits that exist between Mt. Blue and the Benton Trail junction were relatively small and very easy to get past.

This was a huge surprise; we hiked to the base of the cascades, on to the ridge trail, on to Benton Trail, and finally to the treeline and not a single blowdown. On the way I also noticed the water bars were all in generally great shape; but they were recently flushed out. At the treeline we started to get hit by a breeze that was strong enough to make things a little uncomfortable so we stopped and pulled out our jackets. From the treeline to the summit we could only see one to two cairns at any time – we were hiking in a cloud. Once we hit the summit we stopped for a couple pictures, made the u-turn, and headed back out the way we walked in.

On the way back to the trailhead lot we met a very large number of hikers. I’m glad we came early for this one, the place was getting crowded fast. Two hikers named Tim and Jeff (I think) recognized and stopped us for a brief visit. Among the groups we met was a group of six, and maybe more working on trail maintenance. I assume they were part of the DOC gang. They seemed a little surprised when hearing of the general trail condition all of the way to the summit. We met this group at the lower boundary marker for the restricted zone around the Beaver Brook Shelter; .25 miles down hill from the shelter spur. From there to the trailhead we met a steady stream of folks on the trail. It seemed there was a mix; some were headed for the summit and others were only hiking to the cascades with cameras.

We started a little later than planned due to the “weather wait” and made it back to the trailhead generally on plan. We had roughly an hour between trailheads and managed a quick lunch on the run to Waumbek. As we were approaching the turn to the trailhead we noticed a vehicle parked in the “winter” lot on the south side of Route 2. I immediately started thinking the trailhead lot couldn’t still be that full this late in the day. As it turned out the lot was fairly empty. Later we learned the lot was jammed earlier in the day.

Both of us reloaded with water and took off. We still had a very warm day with high humidity. It didn’t take long to fall into a comfortable pace that we could stay with for extended periods between stops; but I still needed an occasional stop to allow things to calm down. We were making our way through the upper hardwoods when we met two hikers headed down. After we passed I heard one say “I think that’s Earl”. The other called to me and asked. I turned around and was really happy to meet 1HappyHiker (John) and his hiking partner Zman (Marty). These guys were the ones parked in the winter lot. John and I have exchanged correspondence many times but had never actually met. Meeting someone like that and being able to finally place a face with the name is one of the best surprises there is. We stopped to visit for a while but were soon on our way.

John and Marty were just the beginning; there were many more that we met on Waumbek. A short distance below the summit of Starr King we passed the final pair and had the place to ourselves. Slowly, I was getting really run down. I think I was able to push myself and reach the summit of Starr King maintaining my pace. We wandered to the cabin clearing and stopped to rest for a few minutes. There I realized I was beat, but the hard work for the day was done. All we had was a short walk to the summit of Waumbek, grab a couple pictures, a cookie, a u-turn, and walk back to the truck. The round trip from Starr King to Waumbek turned out to be more of an effort than it should have been but we still made it there and back generally on the same pace we had been hiking.

From Starr King down to the truck is 2.6 miles of generally all downhill. The headlights came on as we passed the high point on Starr King. The only test the headlights caused involved moths. There’s a huge moth population on the Starr King Trail and they all came out to meet us. After a while it stops being entertaining. I don’t care if I don’t see another moth in my face for quite a long time. Eventually, we hit the trailhead, tossed our things in the truck, and took off.

Even though we had heat, high humidity, and crowds it was a terrific day. Meeting John and Marty was definitely frosting on the cake.

My camera is still in the shop - but Sue's works.

Pictures, eventually.

:D

Last edited:
The headlights came on as we passed the high point on Starr King. The only test the headlights caused involved moths. There’s a huge moth population on the Starr King Trail and they all came out to meet us. After a while it stops being entertaining. I don’t care of I don’t see another moth in my face for quite a long time.
That certainly was a pleasant surprise to meet you and Sue on the Starr-King Trail! As we told you, we had been speculating earlier in the day as to where you two might be hiking. And so, it was an odd twist of fate that we just happened to meet you in-person on that particular day! Simply bizarre!

Hope you have moth-free hikes from here on out! Hmmm! I don't suppose you'd want to consider hanging a few mothballs on your pack for your next late night exit from the trail?!:rolleyes::D

I've heard that trail has a top notch adopter, I'm not surprised the waterbars held ! :p

Great report, as always, Big Earl!
Thanks una_dogger,

The group I assume was connected to DOC also had implements in hand and were targeting waterbars. There are a number of places where erosion could easily become a big problem on that trail. It’s nice to see the trail gets plenty of TLC. I’m sure being part of the A.T. helps to keep the focused attention.

:)

That certainly was a pleasant surprise to meet you and Sue on the Starr-King Trail! As we told you, we had been speculating earlier in the day as to where you two might be hiking. And so, it was an odd twist of fate that we just happened to meet you in-person on that particular day! Simply bizarre!

Hope you have moth-free hikes from here on out! Hmmm! I don't suppose you'd want to consider hanging a few mothballs on your pack for your next late night exit from the trail?!:rolleyes::D
Hey John, thanks.

After seeing the crowd grow on Moosilauke I was sure we would see quite a few on Waumbek. I’m really glad you and Marty were part of the Waumbek gang on Saturday when we passed through.

As far as mothballs are concerned, that might be an interesting approach. Finishing after dark is more common with us as the days grow shorter. I’ll think about it.

;)

Last edited:
The only test the headlights caused involved moths. There’s a huge moth population on the Starr King Trail and they all came out to meet us. After a while it stops being entertaining. I don’t care of I don’t see another moth in my face for quite a long time.
A minor disadvantage of lights... :) I often avoid using a light for just such reasions.

Two suggestions:
* Wear a baseball cap with the headlamp above the brim. This helps to reduce the bright flashes to some degree.
* Hold the headlamp in your hand--the bugs will be attracted to your hand area and you won't get the bright flashes in your eyes.

This also applies to bike lights (handlebar vs helmet), in the fog, and in falling snow.

Doug

* Hold the headlamp in your hand--the bugs will be attracted to your hand area and you won't get the bright flashes in your eyes.
Doug
I'm thinking along the same lines. There are some small, light, LED flashlights that have my interest. One of these wouldn't add very much to the overall pack weight - most likely not noticeable. This wouldn’t replace the headlight since there are times when having both hands free to assist in climbing is necessary. It would certainly tend to keep insects out of the face.

Cold weather is coming. That’ll do it. C’mon winter!

I love the epic scale of your hikes, Earl. This sounds like a good time to me!

I'm thinking along the same lines. There are some small, light, LED flashlights that have my interest. One of these wouldn't add very much to the overall pack weight - most likely not noticeable. This wouldn’t replace the headlight since there are times when having both hands free to assist in climbing is necessary. It would certainly tend to keep insects out of the face.
I just carry the headlamp in my hand as needed. No need for yet another piece of gear...

Cold weather is coming. That’ll do it. C’mon winter! :D
Winter is great, but a simple hard frost will do.

Doug

I love the epic scale of your hikes, Earl. This sounds like a good time to me!
Sue and I both seem to enjoy a non-mainstream approach. If you don’t mind starting early or finishing late (sometimes we use headlights on both ends of the hike), feel free to join the fun.

Most hikes are posted.

:)

I just carry the headlamp in my hand as needed. No need for yet another piece of gear...

Winter is great, but a simple hard frost will do.

Doug
Hey Doug,

Sometimes, the motivation for doing something is another piece of gear. It isn't always a negative. ;)

You’re right about the hard frost, but I’m still looking forward to winter; and the ice, and snow, and freezing conditions, and everything else that comes along with it.

Sue and I both seem to enjoy a non-mainstream approach. If you don’t mind starting early or finishing late (sometimes we use headlights on both ends of the hike), feel free to join the fun.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. It's a busy fall this year, but I really want to get out with the VFTTers more this year!