Moosilauke??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, yes, that age-old debate!

I personally say, MOO-seh-lock. But others pronounce it MOO-seh-LOW-key. I suppose there are pronounciations in between.

For this, I would defer to Mr. Moosilauke himself -- Dave Metsky.

What say ye, Dave? :D

Moosilauke = Moose-seh-lock

the first known use of this spelling was by C.E. Potter in 1825. Before that, it was mostly known as Moose Hillock (as the nearby campground maintains). and before that, it was Mooselauk. This info is from Smith and Dickerman (2001).

We have to assume these spellings are bastardizations of how the Abenakis said it and white men heard it. Only the most recent spelling would facilitate adding an "-ee" in pronunciation to the end.

I've never heard anyone who frequents the Lodge use the "-ee"

spencer

spencer said:
Moosilauke = Moose-seh-lock

I've never heard anyone who frequents the Lodge use the "-ee"
Unless they were singing "My Moosilaukee Sweetheart". :)

Dartmouth folks, in general, use the Moose-seh-lock pronounciation. Clearly, it was pronounced that way back in the 1800's. If Asquamchumakee is any indication, perhaps the long 'ee' was part of the original speech, but it hasn't been that way for a long time.

-dave-

The Mrs. and I prefer Moose-a-lookie (rhymes with "nookie").

:eek:

Hope to see everyone at whackin' weekend.

I pronounced it "moose lock" for years. I was chastised for an incorrect pronounciation by someone who I assumed knew what they were talking about, saying it was "moose-a-lock-ee". Ever since then, I pronounced it that way, but am going back to what I grew up with.

I'm going with Dave, who has approved this message :)

Earlier this summer I had this same conversation with Steve Smith. At the time he said either way is correct.

Though factually I agree with spencer and Dave.

Moose-a-lock is what Franconians say, well, some of us, at least.
And I knew a woman, now deceased, who grew up in Warren NH. She and her family climbed Moosilauke once a year when she was a kid. (That would have to have been in the 'teens-20s.) She pronounced it "moose-a-lock." I guess you can't get more local than Warren.

Last edited: