Moriah. #48 8/25/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
Just wanted to invite anyone who would like to join or meet or just say Hi to hike Moriah on August 25, 2007. This will be #48 for me. It'll be a bit of a different pace as so far I have several young nieces and nephews coming so what would probably be a 2.5 hour hike up will probably be more like 4 up and 4 down. However, this being my final 48, I don't care how long it takes. I just want to enjoy it and spend some time with family and friends celebrating what has been an interesting time for me.
So, if you would like to hike with what will be a slow group or would just like to swing by and say HELLO AND CONGRATS. Then feel free to meet us at the Carter-Moriah trailhead on 8/25 around 9-9:30 AM.
There will be a bottle of Dom Perignon at the top to celebrate (might as well make it a good bottle!).

-Pete

Congrats in advance!

To bad you didn't have Carrigan last for the 'dance party'! :)

Good luck and remember, finishing the list is only the begining!

Christine

Just a suggestion, subsitute Stony Brook and the AT instead of Carter Moriah. If you have a lot of young folks, the Carter Moriah trail can get real discouraging for the last mile or so with all the false summits. Spot a car and come down it and its not so bad (plus the blueberries should still be good).

peakbagger said:
Just a suggestion, subsitute Stony Brook and the AT instead of Carter Moriah. If you have a lot of young folks, the Carter Moriah trail can get real discouraging for the last mile or so with all the false summits. Spot a car and come down it and its not so bad (plus the blueberries should still be good).

If I am not mistaken though, doesn't Stony Brook have a rather steep "daunting" section as opposed to a more steady approach via Carter-Moriah?

Actually its the other way around, the Carter Moriah Trail from Gorham has a couple of short steep sections that require a bit of using ones hands, versus stony brook is a far better grade. The only steep part on the approach from the south (stoy brook to CM)is the last 100 feet before the summit.

I haven't checked the guides yet, but here is the section from Mohammed's website about Moriah.

"There are two routes up Mt. Moriah. One is the fairly gentle climb up the Carter-Moriah trail from Gorham (rt: 9.0 miles, 3,550 feet, 6:15). The other, by the Stony Brook and Carter-Moriah trails (rt: 10.0 miles, 3,150 feet, 6:35) includes a steep section. Both offer great views (and blueberries in season) from open ledges, and the views from the summit are excellent. They can be combined as a loop ascending by Stony Brook (lp: 9.5 miles, 3,300 feet, 6:25), this requires a second car or a road walk. Fortunately there is a pedestrian bridge over the Peabody River that allows a shortcut that reduces this walk by about a mile."

I'll double check the Guide and the 4,000 footer book though.

Thanks,
-Pete

I would second the Stony Brook Trail. Especially with kids.

Have a fun and safe time out there, with any luck you will turn the young ones into hikers! :)

chinooktrail said:
I would second the Stony Brook Trail. Especially with kids.

Have a fun and safe time out there, with any luck you will turn the young ones into hikers! :)

Acutally my 11 & 13 year old nephews have done 8 peaks so far and my 7 year old niece has done 5. Their parents are turning them onto it quite well. :D
I'm psyched and can't wait for them to be a bit older so I can do something like the Bonds or a Presi traverse with them.

Or BACKPACKING! :)

I took some friends kids on a backpack trip a couple years ago, we camped between the Osceolas, in torrential downpours, and HIGH winds.

The walk out was a PERFECT fall day, this was mid October.

Well, 2 of the boys, who are now 15, asked me to take them on Presi traverse/backpack this fall. How cool is that?!

I must admit, it did bring a tear to my eye when they asked, I was so happy about it! :eek:

Cheers

onrhodes said:
....Then feel free to meet us at the Carter-Moriah trailhead on 8/25 around 9-9:30 AM.
There will be a bottle of Dom Perignon at the top to celebrate (might as well make it a good bottle!).

-Pete

Pete,

Congratulations in advance. I'll be up there the previous week.

I believe you intend to hike from the trailhead at the end of Bangor Road in Gorham. If this is correct there is very limited parking at this location and starting as late as you have indicated may mean it is all taken.

According to a note I received from jniehof, ....

"Libby's pool, at the end of Mill St. (and accessible straight from 16), appears to have ample parking and has no prohibition posted on overnight parking. It's a short walk from the trailhead via the snowmobile/pedestrian bridge. At any rate, we weren't ticketed"

I believe this bridge is shown in a map that can be found here.

Assuming I am correct I feel you have planned a good route. I believe the false summit problem is experienced coming from the south on the Carter-Moriah Trail. As I recall, from the Gorham approach, after you pass Mt. Surprise it is a steady and reasonably mild climb to the summit.

Good luck. I hope you have great conditions for the hike and lots of friends and family are there to enjoy the day with you. :D

Earl