Most Challenging Mountaineering Routes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
capt jim - get the helmut - you do not need 2 axes on flume slide trail and unless your start tech ice climbing - there is no need for 2 at all. Flume slide is in the same league as lion head winter - maybe a tad bit harder and longer. Even the easier gully's in huntinton like south and central - and willeys slide can even be done with one axe.

I am not saying you don't know how to use an axe - but proper self belay, proper ice axe use, (different ways to hold/use it) good foot placements/crampon technique - will get you up the slide trail. not sure I would hit it alone if I were you for the first time though. A fall could be a good bit, hurt and could result in injury - that being said, you probably would want to look at least at a book - the book "freedom of the hills" for this instruction. - pretty much agree with el bagr here. NE2 - really that high?? I would think NE1 - but I could be wrong. whats the angle grade - I was thinking 45-50 degrees at the most.

Last edited:
CaptainJim said:
I guess I'll just have to look and decide for myself. I do have winter experience not tons Capt. Jim

FYI, I did this as my 1st winter peak! I don't say this to brag but I was unaware of the difficulty. I don't believe I had an axe - just poles. Don't be spooked, just be prepared for some lung and quad burnin' !

Like I said... just going on what I had HEARD. I couldn't tell ya for sure... but someday... I know I will be able to speak from experience on winter flume.

:eek:

you want a challange?

If you want a challange and know how to climb technical ice/rock/snow try "Lincoln's Throat" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D I bet most people dont even know where it is, but its in the Whites and is awsome.

I think I know where it is... and would imagine it as being highly challenging. Not something I will EVER try thats for sure. :D

sierra said:
If you want a challange and know how to climb technical ice/rock/snow try "Lincoln's Throat"

We were just discussing skiing that on another thread this week... times I've been in there there's only been 1 pitch of NEI2-3 ice set in high-angle neve and corn.

I'd agree with sierra: that's technical high adventure.

Webster Gullies

I've only done shoestring gully but it is a great "mountaineering" route, and many of the climbs on Webster are true to form.

Great position, variable conditions, many different lines to take depening on comfort levels. Highly reccomended.

Where do I find this rating system....

el-bagr said:
We were just discussing skiing that on another thread this week... times I've been in there there's only been 1 pitch of NEI2-3 ice set in high-angle neve and corn.

I'd agree with sierra: that's technical high adventure.

All the rating systems I find are M, W or I... where would I find a description of the ratings you guys are using?

Thanks,
Capt. Jim

ps: Looks like a couple other VFTT people are going up the FST also (or at least trying) so even if we don't actually hike together, I'll look for them so someone will at least know I'm there and visa versa.